Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stuck In A Rut

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Stuck In A Rut

I'm supposed to be doing a report for a firefighting class i have,
    but i can't seem to come up with any topics.
    the 4 topics he gave us are as follows.
    1)Fire Problems
    2) History of initiatives to address michigans fire problem
    3) Federal governments role in fire problems
    4) Citzens responsibility for fire safety

We have to come up with findings and conclusions, i've looked all about the internet and i've had problems coming up with facts and quotes and acutall documentation on any of these problems. i wrote my teacher and he said i could choose any topic outside of these 4 that i find fit, just as long as it has solid evidence or documentation to back it up.

i've only been around in the fire service for less than a year, and my dept is paid-on-call so i have very little fire experiance. my question to all of you is do you know of any topics that firefighters deal with that i could write a report on? maybe something specfic like lack of fuding or lack of hydrants, but i've had problems finding documentation on those. maybe if any of you know some websites that could help out? that would be great. thank you all so much for the help in advance.

Thumbs up Cant go wrong with history!

2) History of initiatives to address michigans fire problem
    You could talk about the Peshtigo(sp?) fire.
    3) Federal governments role in fire problems
    Goto this site,make and account and get the "Needs assement of the US fire service." its free and is dry but it has alot of facts that will help you.
    USFA

If your allowed to talk about stuff outside Michigan I would do the Cocoaut Grove fire in Boston. I wrote a 15 page report on it. If you could do multiple fires for historical precdence and changeing the fire service I recomend the Vendomme in Boston,Cocoanut Grove,Beverly Hill supper club,Waldabaums NYC, Hackensack Ford Hackensack,Happy land,The Rythm club,The great Chicago fire,The great Salem fire of 1904, The great Baltimore fire,Our lady of angels school, Hartford circus tent& lil miss 1565,SS Mont blanc,Texas city texas,WTC-9/11,The great portland maine fire of july 4th,New Castle wyoming and Anndee Huber, Laridsville and Alan Barid, The great Boston fire..............and this is just scractching the surface.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The great Peshtigo fire happened at the same time as the great Chicago fire...but it was in Wisconsin, not Michigan...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Oops.....I was wrong.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Originally posted by stm4710
    Oops.....I was wrong.
    again.....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Thank the Lake.........

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    The great Peshtigo fire happened at the same time as the great Chicago fire...but it was in Wisconsin, not Michigan...
    It would have been in Michigan the next day, except this big lake was in the way.............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Look under the MI State Police. It used to be under the Fire Marshall division. There is still info there as they do the investigations. I believe it is now on the consumer and industrial site.

They used to have good statistics on smoke detector use and other things that you may be interested in.

I will see if I can find a link and get you started in the right direction.
    Les Hartford
    Assistant Chief
    LMR Fire Dept.

The views posted here are strickly my own and not of any of the groups I am affiliated with.

IACOJ Member

Last edited by Resq14; 02-15-2004 at 06:44 AM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

The great Peshtigo fire happened at the same time as the great Chicago fire...but it was in Wisconsin, not Michigan
    I'll have to find the book I have on it, but I do believe that the Peshtigo fire spread to the UP of Michigan as well. If not, then the UP had some fires at the same time.

* My inlaws are from the UP, and since I'm in the fire service they sent me a book a number of years ago.

** edit...a quick online check showed that the fire indded did jump the border and burn into the UP of Michigan

http://www.rootsweb.com/~wioconto/firepic.jpg
    Menominee is a border town, and Birch Creek is a number of miles within the state of Michigan. Looking at the map and having travelled the area, it's amazing how large the fire actually was.
    Last edited by RedBank24; 02-15-2004 at 02:43 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is the link to fhe Fire Marshall Division

http://www.michigan.gov/cis/0,1607,7...870---,00.html

Hope this helps you
    Les Hartford
    Assistant Chief
    LMR Fire Dept.

The views posted here are strickly my own and not of any of the groups I am affiliated with.

IACOJ Member

Thread Information