MembersZone Subscriber

Default Axle weights for aerials

How do the Fire departments of Eastern USA states get around the weight axle requirements of their respective states and the federal DOT highway requirements?

What are the Eastern states weight requirements for axles on fire apparatus?

Forum Member

Well I cant give you much from the legal standpoint . I can just tell ya our quint weighs in at 54k and 20k is on the front and 34 on the rear tandems . The front has super singles on it.

BTW, I see hanford fire under your name . is that the hanford nuclear area in wa?
    Last edited by k1500chevy97; 12-24-2007 at 03:18 AM.

Forum Member

It's not just the eastern states. I know of no exemption for fire apparatus on the Federal DOT requirements.

In most cases the states do not weigh fire trucks. I believe the limit is 12,000 lbs. on the steering axle and 20,000 lbs. on the rear axle. The 65' Squirt unit I operate at my federal job weighs about 43,000 lbs and is not tandem axle. We have no problem going to or returning from calls. If we take the vehicle in for maint. (60 mile round trip), we are issued an overweight permit by the state at no charge.

A couple of years ago the state brought mobile scales to every department and weighed apparatus. A lot were over the federal limits but well within the chassis rating. In addition to weighing the vehicles, they checked tire load and axle ratings,and wheel base as well as the manufacturer's GVW. About a month later we received a printout for every vehicle's map book with a list of bridge locations that we would be over the bridge weight limit. The list covered our region so it included our mutual aid areas. Nothing was said about exceeding the federal limits.

The main purpose of the limits is to reduce damage to the highways. Fire apparatus do not run enough over the highways to do the damage that commercial vehicles do due to the volume of traffic.

I believe that California was trying to enforce axle limits on all new apparatus several years ago. I don't know if it ever went into effect.

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, it is the Hanford Nuclear Site. Small world sometimes.

Zimm

Thread Information