Permanently Removed

Default How do you guys back East do this? Part 2.

Ok, I asked about steaks. But the more important
    question...How do you like to do ribs???

Please let me know, because I love ribs like you
    guys love leather helmets. It is pretty serious
    to me.

Thanks, Bou

Forum Member

Lightbulb

I love ribs as much as I like my leather lid, too!

There's is a BBQ restaurant called Firefly's just two miles away from my house. Whenever I get a jones for ribs, I head there... it also helps that they have Guinness on draught!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

SLOOOOOW cooked over hickory. I used to like 'em swimming in a good BBQ sauce until I got a taste of a local's dry rub. WOW!

Sorry I can't share a recipe, I'm still trying to get it myself.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

a firehouse in my town cooks ribs as a fundraiser...they are amazing...The seasonings they use is a special seasoning that has been passed down through a few generations and only 4-5 people know the EXACT recipe. People have brought it to places to try and determine the exact ingredients but they have failed. We usually have them at our Annual Firefighters Carnival but we stopped having one. They used to draw over 1000 people to the carnival to come there just for the ribs..They are so good....just gotta have them....I used to belong to the company when I was an explorer..and we'd sell easily 2,000lb's of ribs within 3-4hrs.. Rain Thunderstorms..there'd still be a huge line..
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

MembersZone Subscriber

I almost forgot:

Lest any Texans try to lead you astray, cows make fine steaks, hamburgers, and helmets, but are not fit to be called BBQ. Real ribs are pork.

I've made myself hungry just thinking about it and all I have for supper at the station is a salad.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

An easy way to cook ribs is in a slow cooker all day with your favorite BBQ sauce, a sliced onion and a touch of honey. It's a good way to make them while you are working at the engine house.

Forum Member

Bou .................you are killin me ! I like to cook then a bunch of ways. Sometimes I parboil.......and that makes the stuff fall off the bone, then off to grill where I marinade them with grey Poupon mustard and for some zing some Franks.Durkees Red Hot. Another way is the dry rub and baste also on the grill. For you NW Ohioians....for ribs that cannot be BEAT take a trip to New Riegel Ohio and go to the New Reigel Cafe...........you WILL NOT be disappointed !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

District Chief

MMMMMMMM...love the ribs....

Large Pan + water + a beer + Ribs + Burner---boil em till tender....

Then soak em in the BBQ sauce for a while

Then sear em on the grill for a few minutes basting them as you turn em....
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

oh I just eat 'em raw.

Im with Weruj1 on this one... so many ways...

in the words of Homer Simpson

mmmm riiiibs...
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

Permanently Removed

Default Need more info...

Thanks for your replies so far. I was looking
    for a boiling time table. 20 minutes? 10?
    or pas on the boiing all together.

Grilling times- I kow it depends on the size
    of the meat. But I am guessing not more than
    4-5 minutes for baby back ribs?

Thaks for the info so far...tactical tupperware
    forever...

Forum Member

Bou....

I don't know about the time table, but one advantage of that salad bowl you wear is that you can boil the ribs in it....

MembersZone Subscriber

DRY RUB!!!

Salt, Black Pepper, White Pepper, Paprika, Cayenne, Onion powder, Garlic Powder, Cumin, Thyme. Make up a bowl of the above in equal parts (half the thyme). Rub it into the ribs covering all surfaces. Wrap in double foil and refigerate overnight.

Next day, place the ribs, still wrapped in foil in a large pan and put in a 300 degree oven for about 2 hours. Remove from the foil and save the juices.

Pour the liquid into a cup and skim off the fat. Put remaining liquid in a sauce pan with equal amount of "Peter Lugar's" steak sauce, a shot of molasses and a few shots of liquid smoke.

BBQ the ribs over a moderate fire, turning often. Baste with the sauce for the last two turns.

Don't forget the Cole Slaw!!!

Forum Member

I par boil until one of two things happen, the meat turns a little "grey" or the top of the water is covered with a film from the by products getting "cooked off"...........
    Artie .............that sounds great too !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Salt, Black Pepper, White Pepper, Paprika, Cayenne, Onion powder, Garlic Powder, Cumin, Thyme.
    Sounds good but for an extra kick you should use all of the above ingredients but with a little olive oil and fresh crushed garlic instead of garlic powder.

Some of the people that I know boil the ribs for 30 minutes. I prefer not to boil them. I prefer them slowly smoked with hardwood. If you don't want to smoke them with hardwood, try a little liquid smoke. I'm still working on a recipe of my own so I'm afraid I'm not much help.

If you're ever in Florida, go to Sonny's some time. Best barbeque in the world.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Permanently Removed

Default Thanks again so far...

I once boiled ribs and they didnt come out so good
    so I now stay away from that. A guy at work tonight
    just did a long slow cooking (about 2.5 hours).
    I got to ask him when he put the sauce on. I am
    guessing the last 5-10 minutes or so?

I am also assuming a low heat...250 for the 2.5
    hours?

Thanks again. I wish we could all get together
    for some beer and ribs some time...Bou

Forum Member

posted by my tactical tupperware lovin' Brother Bou

Thanks again. I wish we could all get together
    for some beer and ribs some time...Bou
    Wouldn't it be a blast to have a year with zero LODD or career ending injuries and having a rib n' brewski festival to celebrate it?

We can dream...can't we?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Ribs & Root Brewski's would make this a safe place, except for the idea of gathering more than 2 firefighters together at once!!! Gonzo, care to sponsor Ribfest Northeast? I'll gather the NH brothers
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Forum Member

NEVER I repeat NEVER BOIL RIBS. Think of "rib soup".. its the same concept. Heres a great way to cook ribs.
    First of all use only PORK BABY BACK ribs. Make sure you peel the skin (a thin membrane) off the bones. Use a WEBER kettle whenever possible. Place 25 QUALITY charcoal briquettes on opposite sides of the grill. While you are at it, Get a RIB RACK. Make sure you use good charcoal (like Kingsford).After they get nice and white put the ribs smack dab in the middle of the grill with the coals giving off that wonderful indirect heat. You can use a rub like the Brother from Brooklyn recommends, or you can use Lawrys and some black pepper. Leave the lid on and leave the ribs alone. You may or may not have to add a few coals on each side. Give them about an hour and a half or so. Add sauce if you want about 10-15 minutes prior to taking them off the grill. They should be cooked so that there is no meat left on the bone when you gnaw on them. No matter how you do it. COOK THEM SLOW .. 300-325 in the oven will work too. But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.. DO NOT PAR BOIL RIBS ! Enjoy.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking BBQ?

County Tries to Remove Fiberglass Pig
    Mon Feb 16, 8:06 AM ET

STAFFORD, Va. - Rick Ivey is big on his pig. He's got a giant fiberglass pig over his barbecue place on US1 in Stafford County, Va.

But county officials want to give the porker the boot. Ivey has been given a month to remove the swine or face a fine.

Stafford Supervisor Kandy Hilliard likes the food at the Virginia Barbecue Company, but says the pig is tacky and makes the area look bad.

Ivey isn't about to let his $1,100 pig get a roasting. He says he'll appeal the ruling that his pig violates the local sign ordinance.

(yum!)
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

I never boil ribs. I start by trimming off the excess fat and meat (like the little strip of meat that runs across the bottom of the ribs - I trim it off and cook it separately. It's great barbecued and cut up in baked beans). I also remove the membrane from the bottom of the ribs. This can be done pretty easily by loosening it with a blunt knife and grabbing it with a paper towel and pulling.

Sometimes I use just salt and pepper, and sometimes I use a more complex rub. One thing I like to do that I don't think anyone has mentioned here is to rub the ribs with some plain yellow mustard before adding the spice rub. This will help the rub stick to the ribs, and it won't taste like mustard. I also do this with pork shoulders and beef brisket.

I like to wrap the rubbed ribs in plastic and keep them overnight in the refrigerator, but that's not essential.

I cook them over a lump (natural hardwood) fire, with chunks of wood (hickory's the old standby, but I also like pecan, cherry and apple). I cook them at 200-250 degrees direct (sometimes I do them indirect, but at a low temp like that the fire is never going to touch the meat) and turn them every 45 minutes. I cook them until the meat has pulled away from the bone - usually 5-6 hours (sometimes longer). If I'm going to add any sauce, I don't add it until the last 30 minutes of cooking. I prefer to serve the sauce on the side.

I do all of my barbecuing and grilling on one of these: www.biggreenegg.com

Originally posted by Engine58
    a firehouse in my town cooks ribs as a fundraiser...they are amazing...The seasonings they use is a special seasoning that has been passed down through a few generations and only 4-5 people know the EXACT recipe. People have brought it to places to try and determine the exact ingredients but they have failed. We usually have them at our Annual Firefighters Carnival but we stopped having one. They used to draw over 1000 people to the carnival to come there just for the ribs..They are so good....just gotta have them....I used to belong to the company when I was an explorer..and we'd sell easily 2,000lb's of ribs within 3-4hrs.. Rain Thunderstorms..there'd still be a huge line..

By far they are the best ribs I've had to date, thanks for making me hungry now

Originally posted by Weruj1
    I like to cook then a bunch of ways. Sometimes I parboil.......and that makes the stuff fall off the bone, then off to grill Another way is the dry rub and baste also on the grill.
    parboil with blackpepper,Lawrys seasoning salt,greenpeppers,onions, and celery the meat is gauranteed to fall of the bone with good seasoning. Now off to the grill, cook for a while,baste em with Whatever bar b q sauce you like the best in just keep flipping them
    If we don't do it nobody else will!!!!

Forum Member

Default and this was Superbowl Sunday for 2003

Haven't had good ribs since this...

Sunday January 26, 2003

Press Release – Fire at Southern House Restaurant

Point Pleasant Beach: On Sunday January 26, at approximately 12:30 AM, the Point Pleasant Beach Fire Department was dispatched for a possible structure fire at the Southern House Restaurant, a Jersey Shore landmark. A passing Police Officer noticed smoke in the area and upon further investigation, found smoke coming from the restaurant. A little over three minutes later, the first two units from the Point Pleasant Beach Fire Department, along with Chief of the Department A. Jay Fox arrived on scene to find the entire building heavily charged with smoke.

“Upon arrival, we encountered a heavy smoke condition, however, no visible fire was evident. Crews immediately forced entry into the building from both the front and rear and began searching for the fire,” stated Chief Fox. “Upon entering the kitchen area, the crew searching from the front was met with heavy fire conditions. The crew that entered from the rear also found heavy fire in the back of the structure. Based upon the initial size-up of the incident, I immediately called for a second alarm.”

“We mounted an aggressive interior attack for close to ten minutes,” added Chief Fox. “We were familiar with the building and knew that there were many different compartmentalized rooms and that the building also had a truss roof, both of which presented a safety concern for our firefighters. The inside crew scanned the building with the Thermal Imagining Camera and saw that there was a significant amount of fire above their heads and in the ceiling area. At that point, I ordered all of the crews to exit the building and went into a defensive, exterior mode. Also, a third alarm assignment and several special units were requested at this time as well.”

“As parts of the ceiling and roof began to collapse, the fire intensified as we attacked it with using 5 aerial ladders and numerous hoselines. It took until approximately 4:30 AM to have the majority of fire knocked down, and over another hour to have the fire placed under control at which point we began to release mutual aid companies. Firefighters remained on scene until 1:30 PM extinguishing small pockets of fire and assisting with the investigation into the fire. Heavy equipment was brought in from the County of Ocean to assist in removing parts of the collapsed structure to find hotspots and help with the determination of the cause of the fire,” concluded Chief Fox.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

CollegeBuff - Got any recipes for frog legs???
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Permanently Removed

Default Par Boil?

I havent heard this term since you guys brought
    it up. I am assuming it just means boil.

Mikey- Thanks for your 2 cents. I like the
    BBQ idea. I am mainly looking for oven
    ideas right now. I dont want to cook some
    ribs and f-them up.

I take ribs pretty serious...yummm... it is
    10 PM here and I could eat a whole rack.
    I have to admit, I am a piggy eater.

If any of you folks ever make it out to
    Las Vegas, the ribs are good there at just
    any joint.

-Bou

Thread Information