Forum Member

Question Sub-division water supply/ rural

looking for information on rural water supply ideas/concepts for a housing sub-division with no public water supply. our town is rural and presently rely on several dry hydrants,ponds, and rivers for our water.At present there is nothing in our towns planning or zoneing that requires a developer to install one. any idea's? we are considering a in ground tank/tanks or cistern with no pumps. draw backs or problems with this type of system? and what maintenance is required to these after their installed / expected usable life? and whats the rough costs?
    Last edited by aarel20; 02-15-2004 at 09:35 PM.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yup!..................

In this area, if there is no "City Water" (read a piped system with hydrants) Builders/Developers are required to place 10,000 Gal. underground tanks (with Dry Hydrant, Fill, and Vent Pipes installed) at reasonable intervals throughout subdivisions. The first arriving engine lays a line from the nearest tank, just as they would from a hydrant. The next engine sets up and drafts from the tank. This handles the Fire, or, worst case, buys time to set up a tanker shuttle. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

The town of Boxford also now requires underground cisterns for new developments. They have no hydrents and either take from a pond or dry hydrent. They are there for the same reasons Hwoods said.
    The first arriving engine lays a line from the nearest tank, just as they would from a hydrant. The next engine sets up and drafts from the tank. This handles the Fire, or, worst case, buys time to set up a tanker shuttle
    In these new sub-divisions they are building these new $600k+ mc manions so its good idea to have water close by.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

In our rural community, we have 2 500 Bbl. Tanks at our station, which we haul water in from a overhead fill station at the other end of our district. As far as water supply on a scene, we rely on tankers, and porta-tanks. We fill at our station, or water station. Our community has small well on a gravity flow system. Most residents have small holding tank with pressure pump. In a few years, we will get pressure system with hydrants, but we have been doing it this way so long, we won't know how to handle that.

Forum Member

Our Town breaks subdivisions into minor and major. Minor are 3 lots or less. A major subdivision is 4 lots or more.

All major subdivisions must meet the water reqeuirments spelled out in our rules. A pond with 35,000 gallons (after deducting 36 inches for ice allowance) is the starting point. Each lot requires another 5,000. So a 10 lot subdiviiosn requires an 85,000 gallon pond. (Above 10 lots we begin to relax the amount required) The dry hydrant installation must be per our specs. The pond and hydrant must be installed before any one pf the houses can be sold.

If you would like copies of our Town planning standard and our dry hydrant installation spec's just email me.
    Remember, it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you!

Forum Member

We cover an area that has hydrants off of a city sytem and a rural area that has no hydrants. In the city we use the hydrants, outside the city we perform tanker shuttles with folda-tanks. We can use 2-3 fold tanks with jet assists and can easily supply all the water we need.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

We use Tanker trucks each carrying 1500 or 2000 gallons. Our pumpers have 1000 gallons each. We have many subdivisions with only 4 inch water lines in them so we don't often have hydrants available. We will shuttle water when necessary but we bring alot of water to the scene and unless a home is fully involved we usually have plenty of water. Good news- A rural development grant was recently awarded to the City to help pay for 6 inch water lines to be put into several neighborhoods. It will be welcome since the street I'm on has a 2 inch water supply line.

Thread Information