MembersZone Subscriber

Default 1st Day on the job "Remember"

Remember your first day on the job.

Crisp uniform, brand New Firefighting gear, smell of the truck bay as you walked thru it. Everyone looking at you, wondering how you’re going to work out, as you say to yourself…”God I hope I don’t screw up”. The feeling of awkwardness not knowing what to do or who to ask

And who can forget when the salts of the dept got to welcome you with a good old prank. Please post your experiences of your first day on the job.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Ah yes, I remember that day very well, 17 years ago. So proud to have the Mayor swear us in.(Just before the court ordered his election illegal) And after the ceremony, we were taken to one of the fire stations, setup with uniforms, and I proudly put my badge on and thought about, how one day I would proudly retire with this same badge. And then someone knocked on the door, and I politely answered it. "How can I help you sir?" I asked. The man without saying a word, held up his hand to display, a Water Dept. Meter Reader badge, it looked just like mine.

Don't ask if my swearing in was legal. I don't want to know.
    Be kind to fire fighters. Please don't let your dogs use fire hydrants.

MembersZone Subscriber

At least you are still there.
    Les Hartford
    Assistant Chief
    LMR Fire Dept.

The views posted here are strickly my own and not of any of the groups I am affiliated with.

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

I can remember my first day back in 1989.

I think I might have put my uniform at least a dozen times that week prior to my start date. The first day I had so many butterflies in my stomach. I was told to report to supply and have my bunker gear issued to me, along with my linen.

Everything was brand new , still in the package. The station I was going to be assigned to had 4 CFR’s, 2 Tankers, 2 pumpers and a QRV. I stood there in awe looking at the massive trucks.

My Captain came out to greet me, and man did he look the part. Handle bar mustache, broad shoulders, and a weathered face.

He showed me where to store my gear and introduce me to the station crew. It was intimidating to say the least, meeting all those “Vets” and wondering what they think of me and how would I fit into this thing they call a “Family”.

I’m a second generation Fire Fighter and you’d would think I would have been prepared for my first day after all those years of being around my father, going up to the Fire House to take him dinner, hearing all the guys telling jokes and war stories. I felt like the new kid in school, quite, wide eyed and no clue.

Well my first week went fast, seemed my Captain loved to train, and he had a noob on his truck to use and abuse. My first Saturday drill was a pit fire. 1000 gallons of jet fuel set on fire just when the sun went down. Boy it was a site to see. After my first month, I was called into the chief’s office where the Chief wanted to know what my thoughts were about being a fire fighter. Then he asked me to write a plan of what my expectations were.

I’m a Captain now, made Captain after 10 years of service and I love it. I have a lot of good memories of my first year as a rookie. Wow how things have changed.
    Last edited by captjab; 02-14-2004 at 10:58 PM.

Thread Information