Default Firefighter Vacancy

The city of Morgantown WV is about to test for firefighters. Click HERE to find out more info to apply, this is free, we dont charge to view job openings. Other positions listed. Form the home page click jobs from the menu.
    Please visit http://www.wvfirefighters.com the source for fire / ems news and information.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Too bad one of the main requirements is to be a US citizen. Oh well.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

there is also a program manager job at WVU listed as well
    Please visit http://www.wvfirefighters.com the source for fire / ems news and information.

Forum Member

Angry

Originally posted by MalahatTwo7
    Too bad one of the main requirements is to be a US citizen. Oh well.

Any person that is applying to be a firefighter or police officer in the United States, should be a US citizen. Actually a person should be born in this country should be the requirement.

Keeps the jobs in this country for our US citizens is the best practice. Stop letting the folks from outside this country have our jobs.

Forum Member

and should this only be open to WV residents?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Actually a person should be born in this country should be the requirement.
    That's ridiculous.

Forum Member

Capt OldTimer- many US citizens are born outside the US at military bases in Japan, Germany, UK, etc. Are we to disqualify them because their parents chose to serve?????? Additionally this is a country of immigrants. Both my parents came to this country and became citizens. Using your logic, they would be unemployed and unable to have supported a family.

Early Adopter

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer
    Imagine if that was the case hundreds of years ago. You know... when your ancestors and my ancestors landed on the shore out there. Imagine if they were told that they had to be born here to work here. If that had been the case, neither of us would be citizens ourselves because our ancestors would have jumped on the first boat back across the pond.

As long as people are here legally, I have no problem with them working at whatever job will hire them. If they snuck in, however... I fully support them being sent back.

Forum Member

I know a few Firefighters with green cards, and if you look around the country (and read the fine print) very few departments require citizenship. In most places, permanent residency is all you need.

If someone is here legally- has a visa, pays taxes, etc., then I have no problem with them working here.

Just as long as the jobs stay here- I do have a problem with companies exporting jobs overseas.

Forum Member

UNITED STATES CITIZENS

If you were born outside this country and are a US Citizens then you should be able to apply. Our City says, US Citizens.

My people came to this country in the early 1800's. They became citizens.

Forum Member

should be a US citizen.
    No problem with this.

Big problem with this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default A bit off topic but...

Does anyone else have a problem, like I do, with folks living in the U.S. that can't speak the language?

How are they legally in the country? Are we translating for them at the borders or when they attempt to register for work visas and such?

Like has already been said, anyone who enters legally, has the proper documentation, and is making positive contributions, I don't have a problem with them.

But please speak some damn English!
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

Default Re: A bit off topic but...

Originally posted by gordoffemt
    Does anyone else have a problem, like I do, with folks living in the U.S. that can't speak the language?
    Unfortunately, it's no longer a requirement for immigrants to learn the English language. This country is bending over backwards for them. I think it is ignorant. If they want to come to this country, fine. But they need to learn OUR language.

And I think you should DEFINATELY have to be a US citizen to apply for any police, fire, or ems job. There are plenty of Americans already that are fighting hard to get one of these jobs. It wouldn't be right.

another firefighter /paramedic position has now been added, see what you think about Charleston Fire Dept requirements.
    Click HERE

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Still A bit off topic but...

Originally posted by Jeff16

Unfortunately, it's no longer a requirement for immigrants to learn the English language.
    Maybe not federally or even across the board for a given state, but Virginia's newest revision of EMS regulations is a start.

The following phrase appears in several places in the new rules & regulations.

Be proficient in reading, writing and speaking the English language in order to clearly communicate with a patient, family or bystander . . .
    If anyone cares to read the entire thing - it's in the Virginia Administrative Code - Title 12 - Agency 5 - Chapter 31

My thoughts (having dealt with immigration issues for my now Ex wife) - If you are in the U.S. Legally, are allowed to work legally, and can read, write, & speak English well enough to carry out your job functions - then more power to you.
    (As a side note - anyone willing to jump through all the hoops required to get employment eligibility or Lawful permanent resident - DESERVES a job !!!)

U.S. citizenship should NOT be an employment requirement save for the federal govt.

My .02 - YMMV
    Last edited by N2DFire; 02-20-2004 at 10:20 AM.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Thread Information