Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Florida State FF certification

I am a Career Firefighter from Massachusetts. I plan on moving to Florida and would like to continue my career there. Could anyone provide me with some information regarding the Challange/Certification process. I have all of the requirements needed. I am surprised there isnt any reciprocity of any kind. Any and all info would be great. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

You can convert your Certs to DOD and come work for us. We are currently hireing GS-5 Firefighters. Just make sure your certs are IFSAC or can be converted over to that.

Starting pay is around 35K to start. You work 24 on and 24 off. If your application is accepted you will have to take our agility test, nothing really to it. There is an age cuttoff (37). They just raised the age and retirement.

We are the test facility for the DOD SouthEast region.

email me if you need any further infomation.

Default challenge information

pffmems1

Go to the Florida Fire College website www.fsfc.ufl.edu and click on the Standards sections. Or call there 352-369-2800 and talk to the Standards section for information on what you will need to challenge the test.

Florida does not accept reciprocity from anywhere. You will have to take the written and practical exams for State Certification.

Also if you are looking into EMS, Florida does not accept National Registry at this time. You may want to contact the Florida Professional Firefighters Association and talk to the Vice-President Gary Rainey about how to become Florida certified.

Hope this helps.....

Good Luck

MembersZone Subscriber

But if you were on a Military base in Florida, and you took your initial course there for the National Registry then you pay the Florida State fee of something like $75 and challenge the State EMT exam.

Also the proposed final draft for Military DoD / IFSAC Firefighter II, after adoption can get Florida Firefighter 1 with completion of IDEA WMD, Awareness/ICS/FOG class.

It sure will be nice if and when Florida excepts the National Registry DOT standard. I wish all states just excepted each others FireFigther certs, just as long as they meet the standards. DoD meets and exceeds the standards. Infact many states adopted the Air Force standards as their's, they just modified it a bit.

Since reading this post, I have an application for the IFSAC coming in the mail, and I was very suprised to see on the Florida State Fire Site that they talk about converting out of state certs. Unfortunately I have a CT cert so that would only cover the first 160 hours of the course.. but i guess thats better than starting from the beginning.

I would like to know though how to convert my cert to a DOD cert.
    Ladders dont put out fires... water puts out fires... engines companies rule.

It can be done...but it is not easy. The have been real a**l retentive about it up to now. If you can prove to them that you ahve the hours that meet their certification level and show them the class syllabus of subjects and standards covered. The burden is on you to prove everything. The man that reviews everything has been around since christ was a corporal and is very very old school! The only class that they will readily admit they are not superior in is Driver Operator. I have a Pro Board Cert and they said if I have that I exceed their training. But...They will not recognize my Pro Board cert unless I can document the other training.... It is ridiculous!!!

It is all due to monmey. They want your money and that is why they will not grant it. It cost $1800 to go through minimum standards for gosh sakes!

The only good thing is that one you get your florida cert and have an "FP number" you can fill out an application for Central Florida Community College for $35.00 and then submit your certs to them and get 3 college credits for $75.00/class for all clases that they issue an FP number for as long as it is within 3 yrs.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Its not really hard to convert certs to DOD. Most of the time if its IFSAC, Proboard, it only cost $10 per cert to convert.

Thread Information