Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Personality inventory test

Just curious how others have responded to the NFSI (National Firefighter Selection inventory) test. I've seen a few versions of it, and I'm completely baffled as to how the creators of this written test are including personality questions as part of the basic knowledge questions. I'm already a career firefighter and scored well on the knowledge questions, but my overall score was pulled down by the personality questions. Now, I'm completely committed to being a part of a team, and I love my job, and I'm progressing along nicely with good evalutations and so forth... so I have to wonder about this test! PublicSafetyTesting.Com uses this test. Anyone else have any experience with it? PST doesn't explain anything about your score, and I don't expect I'll hear anything from the I/O people in Illinois who created it.

There's a practice test online for about $15, but it does not include the personality section. (This is how I know I score very highly when that section is not included.)

Anyone out there score really well on this test who wants to share some advice?

By the way, I used the Don McNea program the second time I took the test, and got 10 points LOWER! So, my advice is definitely... don't use Don McNea if you're taking the NFSI.

MembersZone Subscriber

It seems that some Departments are going to Personality inventories. I haven't dealt with the one that you mentioned, but have become a pro at the MMPI II. It's a pain in the neck to get through all the questions, and is only supposed to be interpreted by a psychologist, but for some reason this type of testing is becoming the standard. I'm sure that there is a way to not have that portion of the test drag your score down, but I think that it is just a matter of experience in taking that portion of the test. Good luck, and stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default National Firefighter Selection Inventory

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbutler View Post
    I've seen a few versions of it, and I'm completely baffled as to how the creators of this written test are including personality questions as part of the basic knowledge questions....my overall score was pulled down by the personality questions.
    I know this is very old, but I am having the exact same concerns with the NFSI test. How does one possibly calculate a percentage score for personality based questions? I'm even further confused by the NFSI test because their study guide specifically states that the personality questions "have no correct answer". If there is no correct answer, how can they score it? The last version of this test I took had 105 general knowledge questions and 50 personality questions. I can only recall about 5 questions that were even remotely difficult to answer. Even if I assume I missed 10 general knowledge questions (which I know is not the case), that would still give me a 90%. My final score was 74%! That means my score on the personality portion was under 50%. Anyone else out there with similar troubles?

(For the record, I have taken and passed the MMPI 2 without any difficulty)
    Last edited by Hewartson47; 04-16-2008 at 05:53 PM.

Default personality test

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmanff67 View Post
    It seems that some Departments are going to Personality inventories. I haven't dealt with the one that you mentioned, but have become a pro at the MMPI II. It's a pain in the neck to get through all the questions, and is only supposed to be interpreted by a psychologist, but for some reason this type of testing is becoming the standard. I'm sure that there is a way to not have that portion of the test drag your score down, but I think that it is just a matter of experience in taking that portion of the test. Good luck, and stay safe.
    How did you become a pro at the MMPI II, I took the personality test for a department along with the polygraph within a week of each other, waited a month to find out I wasnt going to be hired because of one of the tests. My assumption is that it was the personality portion because I have never failed a poly and this was the first time taking the MMPI test, is there a trick to the test or what? To be honest I didn't think it was that hard, I thought you really had to be out there to mess up that test.

Thread Information