Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs up Experts Were On-Scene:

Wouldn't it be great to have an unedited video tape of the complete incident along with writen statements from all players reporting what each participant observed, what was said and by whom, and what was done? Fact is, NASCAR already possesses this valuable information and they are conducting an internal review to see if there are any areas where improvement is needed.

If the NASCAR race safety types find problems, corrective actions will be part of the pre-race safety meetings in weeks to come.

Right or wrong is hard to determine without the first hand "who said what" and "who ordered what" to go along with the video taped evidence. But you can bet on this,

...by the time the Daytona crew finally fliped Waltrip's car back over, the Daytona Speedway Fire-Safety Coordinator, a Trauma Surgeon (with on-track race experience), and the NASCAR Race Safety Diector were on-scene and calling the plays.

EEResQ

NOTE: The rescue tool that I observed being deployed to the car apeared to be an AMKUS "Speedway" Cutter. Good choice!
    Last edited by EEResQ; 02-23-2004 at 02:34 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Interesting to see the different views on this coming through.
    I am still interested to hear peoples views on scenarios where we end up with the driver suspended upside down.

Gordoffemt , its fair comment about putting the medic in. The scenario I was talking about was where we had a car inverted with intact cage etc. With any possibility of cage compromise then the support rams go in and we extricate from the inverted position.

We have had two instances of distraction injury caused by a violent roll where the competitor is fulled belted in and supported by the seat but did not have HANS or seat wraparounds at head level. Combined with heavy helmets we had two C4 fractures luckily without paralysis.

Again we would proceed as suggested where our doctor ( ER consultant ) assess's the patient in the seat and then OK's the controlled roll or not.

For extrication from the inverted belted in position how do you control the lowering of the patient onto the board once the belts are released. We use wide strapping through the seat belt slots in the seat which allows two crew carefully lower the patient. I have seen the airbags used and a KED on an aussie website. Anyone any other ideas??

Race Rescue

Thread Information