Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default WEllhole Stretch Question

For those of you who use this stretch under fire conditions on a consistent basis, how do you alleviate the problem of the hose kinking over the handrail? the times that i have used the stretch some kinking happes thus reducing flow.

Strap the hose to the top rail and tie off below. Then create a 6 foot +/- loop. You're basically making the hose continue up past the rail and turning slowly through the loop instead of an acute bend.

Thanks, sounds like that would work just fine. Ive tried using a hose strap and suspending the hose under the railing, but that still makes it bend, thanks for the info.

ok ...not trying to be ignorant........I think I understand the well hole stretch .....but E229 I dont understand the answer. Well hole stretch is when you have maybe 6 flights of stairs and you dont want to snake the hose up all those filghts, right ? if thats so then I dont get the answer........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

E229Lt can answer himself, but what he is referring to is to take a strap or rope hose tool, something to tie off the hose at the top of the handrail after you have stretched all the hose you can and preferrably on the engine side of a coupling if u can. So strap the hose at the railing, then strap the hose at the floor underneath that railing. Inbetween those two straps you should have someslack in the line so you arent causing the hose to make a sharp bend. Hope that clears it up for you

I think I got it ...........thanks dfd.....
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Not really. The idea is easier to do than explain. Just bring the hose up the wellhole to the fire floor and lash it to the railing. Then make a loop in the hose towards the fire area. The loop just keeps the hose from kinking over the rail.

Here's a really bad picture:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

While we're on the topic of well hole streches, and you've still paintshop open, could you draw us a quick diagram of the "Snake" method of stretching lines up a wellhole? From what I was told, it was invented somewhere in your city. I think I have an idea of what it is (somehow the line weaves through the guard rails), but I'd like to know for sure.

Thanks!

I gotcha Loo............ Pic wasn't that bad, either......

the pic is much more better and NOT what I had imagined, thanks Artie.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

I'll give it a shot:

Looking at the fine graphic below, try to imagine this:

You are looking down from the top of the building, the left side picture, you cannot see down to the first floor. There is no well hole and you must stretch your line up and around each landing.

The picture on the right you can see from the top floor to the bottom floor and the line can be stretched straight up the gap between the stairs and the hallway floors, ( a well hole).

On the left side picture you will need about a length of hose per floor. On the right side picture, one length will get you 4-5 floors.

In my department, the Engine officer should always advise the crew if there is a wellhole when asking for a line. This lets our controlman know how much hose will be needed in the stretch and when to break the line. The difference in a five story stretch can be 4-5 lengths of hose.

MembersZone Subscriber

KingHippo,

I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for...but this might be the snake as there is no well hole in the stairway I've drawn. This would be difficult to perform without adequate staffing as it can easily get snagged in the corners. It might be safer and easier to perform a standard stretch but try it out. I'd also say it would depend on how many floors you were going up.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Well Hole

Here is a picture of a BIG well hole.

FTM-PTB

Thread Information