Default When to start Fire classes

I have a question, and this is seemed to be the most applicable forum. I am currently in EMT-B class, and allready thinking about the future. All of the advise I have heard says to work at least a year at EMT-B before going to paramedic. My question is, would this be a good time to start my Fire classes? I want to be a FF/Paramedic. This way, I could take fire school, and mabye work as an EMT-B for a while to get experience. After fire is done, I can head into Paramedic classes. What does everyone think of this time frame? FireMedics, how did you set up your class schedule? Thanks.

Russ

Forum Member

Sounds like a good plan to me, even if you only work BLS primarily doing transfers it will help you in Paramedic school, I did not have much EMT experience and none on an ambulance. What you learn by working on an ambulance is the basics (how to work in the back of a moving ambulance, how to give a ring down to the hospital, how to transfer care to the hospital etc) these basic skills sound easy but when you are trying to cram all that medic stuff into your brain it is very helpful to have these basic skill down well so you don't have to learn them as well. Plus every patient you pick up for even an interfacility transfer needs to be evaluated and reassessed enroute, many of these people are very sick so you learn what a sick person looks like, you learn your various lung sounds, you learn to get good at taking vitals etc.

Taking fire classes while looking for EMT work and later working should not be a problem just don't overload yourself to the point you wind up single, unemployed and on academic probation (It's easy to do if you are not careful)

MembersZone Subscriber

There are several schools of thought

One is to get a years experience, and then take medic

The other, often touted by instructors if not the field people, is to take it right away after your basic course so that the basic info is still fresh in your mind. This sounds great in theory, and as far as the classroom it's true. The bookwork is easier.

It often depends on the individual.

Going straight through can create paramedics that don't have the actual field experience to build on. They may jump right to the medic bag of tricks, which may or may not be right for the situation.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am basiclly in the same position as you Alpha, and the biggest advice I can give you is try to work in the field as an EMT-b before medic school. You will gain knowledge in the field that no book can teach you, and its essential for becoming a medic. Just my .02
    *Fraternal Order Of Paramedics Member*
    EMT-b (in training)

MembersZone Subscriber

Another plus for working as a Basic EMT (Volunteer or paid) for a year or so prior to going on to higher training is that by then you should have seen "the good stuff"

I've seen people take the EMT classes, both basic and more advanced, and just lose it after the first gory wreck, or the first death of someone you know personally.

Thread Information