Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone else??

Forum Member

Default Anyone else??

I want to know if I am the only one that does this: When I am away at school on the weekend me and the guys usually go to either bars or clubs. We usually go to the same ones so you know what the place is like. The other night I went to a club that I had never been to before. After I made my way to the bar I walked around the place for a minute; I found myself noting all the exits/ entrances. What ele is worse is when you tell a friend about the exits and they just look at ya all funny, they think your crazy/paranoid.

Anyone else do this??

I always check for the exits... been doing it since I got on "the job"....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Temporarily/No Longer Active Cellblock776's Avatar

First place I check is the Bathroom stalls. If they all have holes at about waist height cut through the stall walls then I leave and head down the street to a place which isn't infested with glory holes.

Originally posted by Cellblock776
    First place I check is the Bathroom stalls. If they all have holes at about waist height cut through the stall walls then I leave and head down the street to a place which isn't infested with glory holes.
    I think it has become impossible for you to have an intelligent conversation anymore without you having to make some kind of stupid remark either involving sex (gay or straight), guns, or just general idiocy. You may very well be the first person I ever have to use the ignore button on..........

he is pushin the envelope for sure .........and Yes when I go to a strange place I also note the exits, also dont forget to count hotel room doors to find the stairs !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Old traveling salesman story;

A volly firefighter is a traveling salesman calling on stores in small towns. He stays in the local "mom and pop" hotels whenever possible to save a few bucks. He always looks for the Exits from the hotel as soon as he gets to his room.

He checks into one of these hotels and is given a room on the third floor with the bath down the hall. The place is clean and well maintained but he doesn't see any Exit signs in the hall on his floor.

He proceeds to try different doors to see if he can find another exit.

He opens one door and finds it is the bathroom with another salesmen sitting in the tub taking a bath.

The firefighter says "Excuse me. I was looking for the Fire Exit.", pulls the door shut and proceeds down the hall.

He hears a noise behind and turns to find the other salesman dripping wet, and wrapped in a towel, coming toward him.

The second salesman says "Excuse me, but when you said you were looking for the fire exit, I figured I'd better follow."

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

The level of your intelligence astounds me...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I have younger siblings more mature than you!! Why do you insist on posting your useless comments on here? (thats rhetorical)

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by firenresq77
    You may very well be the first person I ever have to use the ignore button on.
    I can tell you the ignore feature works well. Of course, It works better when people don't quote the person you're ignoring
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

I can’t say I always check for exits, but if I go past one I tend to look at the opening hardware on it. I will also sneak a peak at the building’s fire alarm panel. Its amazing how many doors are blocked, or padlocked and how many fire panels show a silenced alarm, trouble, system disable or supervisory.

I enjoyed raising a stink at the university housing office when I noticed the system in my dorm was shut off. Within an hour the alarm company was installing a new system. I also got a job offer out of the ordeal.

Originally posted by firenresq77

You may very well be the first person I ever have to use the ignore button on..........
    You’re singing my tune.

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

I do it all the time...Hotels,bars,clubs, I also check out what type of Fire Suppresion system they have and the types of sprinker heads. I did EMT transport for a while and my partners would look at me like I was nuts when I'd stop in the hallway to check out the Different types of Exstinguishers or Hoselines (which I also noticed) that alot of hospitals are doing away with the standpipe with hose attached to them and are replacing them with large Exstinguishers... Oh yea didnt they ban Halon Fire Suppression systems along time ago? I found one in one of the hospitals I worked out of.Gave my partner a 5 minute lecture on what it was...and why it wasnt good...lol...he just said Andrew your nuts..
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Well, they can’t make any more halon but can still use previously installed systems. They are also allowed to recharge existing systems and extinguishers with the remaining stock.

There are some alternatives in use now.

*The Inergen system uses only naturally occurring gasses. Therefore, won’t harm the environment.

*The Sapphire system is still a CFC but has no ozone depleting properties. However, it does possess some global warming potential

Here’s a little light reading if you’re so inclined…

http://www.ansul.com/fireprotection/...prodinfo.asp#6

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I concur with the more intelligent comments posted here. I have always looked for exits in any establishment, and often place myself near one if possible, with my back to the wall. But that's the Army Geek in me doing that.

And I'll just ignore the "non-essential" bits in this thread.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

I always check for the exits... been doing it since I got on "the job"....
    Ditto...and even though my girlfriend (who is also on the job 16 yrs) laughs at me, I catch her looking too. I take it a bit further and look to see if the building has supression systems!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

I used to look, but I have to admit after watching the video of "the Station" fire now I memorize.

I also check out what type of Fire Suppresion system they have and the types of sprinker heads. I did EMT transport for a while and my partners would look at me like I was nuts when I'd stop in the hallway to check out the Different types of Exstinguishers or Hoselines (which I also noticed) that alot of hospitals are doing away with the standpipe with hose attached to them and are replacing them with large Exstinguishers...
    I do the exact same thing. I actually enjoy finding out what type of sprinkler heads are being used etc. People give me strange looks while I do this.

Usually the only people who look for alternate entrances/exits are either firefighters or criminals.........

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Arrow

Congratulations dude! You made NJ's Ignore List!

This FF also checks the exit situation....because I don't want to become a statistic. (The Station)
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Thanks to all my buds on here I now check too!

Joshie brought up a really good point. I did check to see where the exit was at my new apartment, but never in a million years would I have thought to check to see HOW the freaking door opened! So the other day when Jenn and I were here I think I drove her crazy LOL, I just HAD to walk down the hall on our way out and check the door and see WHERE the stairs actually are once you open the door. I haven't counted the doors though, thought I could just go out my door and walk straight down the hallway and when I banged into the wall I'd be there It is only a short distance from my apartment. Jenn gave me a lesson on how to get the hose out of the glass thingy and how to use the nozzle!

Now if that way was blocked, I'm a long long way from the other exit. And it isn't just "straight down the hall". There's a lobby area where the elevators are, so if I "walked straight down the hall" I'd end up at the elevators and then have to go right for a bit and then down the rest of the hallway. But at least I know now that they are door knobs not push bar type, and which direction the door opens (I guess all fire exits are probably PUSH not PULL).
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information