Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

While it is the IAFF's job to represent us as a whole and their job to try and make our jobs and lives safer and easier that doesn't mean that I have to agree with everything they do and every candidate they support. I don't want any of my money going to support candidates that I do not personally approve of. When and if I make a politcial contribution I make it on my own and not through the Union.

I am more than one dimentional in the things I care about and the things that effect my life. While firefighting is a major part of my life I am not willing to sacrifice my values or political beliefs to a candidate that may be totally opposite of my views on every other topic.

If you notice, I have not mentioned a candidte or political affiliation, the reason being this could, and does apply to every election at every level regardless of political party.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

I am more than one dimentional in the things I care about and the things that effect my life. While firefighting is a major part of my life I am not willing to sacrifice my values or political beliefs to a candidate that may be totally opposite of my views on every other topic.
    And you will make that known when you pull the lever on election day. FirePac is not about a 100% agreement from all members. It's about another voice, one louder than any of our single voices or votes. I don't like Kerry, I don't like Bush and I won't flush a vote on Nader. I believe that the IAFF has my "OVERALL" best interest in mind. Most of it's members are on a close to equal playing field when it comes down to our needs from equipment to personal finance.

I would never suggest anyone follow blindly and I don't. But, today, it's my belief that the firefighters of this country are not getting a fair shake, rather we are expected to do more with less and I'm tired of it. The events of 9-11 happend in my yard and this may have made me a little more aware. I heard the promises, when they were popular. And I saw those promises go, for the most part, down the drain.

Firefighters in this country are under equipped, under staffed, under paid and under trained. To date, nothing has been done about it at any level of government. BUT, today I see the IAFF president over Kerry's shoulder at one after the other victory speeches and I believe that if Kerry wins, elected official, nationwide and at all levels will see the influence of our voting block and do more to support our ability to protect their constituents and an effective and safer manner than we do today.

We as firefighters are fragmented in our beliefs, what we stand for and who we support. That individual mentality is likely why we are so effective at what we do on the fireground and also why we are so ineffective at creating any grassroot movement to improve our ability to serve.

The candidate we will all agree is the best man/woman for the job will never arrive. Not today or twenty years from today. Few, if any, issues will arise that we all agree on. That fact will haunt us everytime staffing gets cut, firehouses get closed and firefighters or civilians die due to shortages in manpower or equipment.

MembersZone Subscriber

The biggest problem with thinking that Washington can fix your problems is there are a million more people in the same profession thinking the same thing. There are Fire-EMS, police departments all across the country that want something and for a good reason (according to them).

Look across the land and see what people are spending their Federal dollars on....its anything and everything.

NYC and FDNY believe they deserve so much, but way across the land and LAFD thinks they deserve a bunch, too. Everyone has a good case and plenty of influence in Washington to push that case.

We are fighting a war right now that is very expensive, and we are spending a ton in Homeland security. Now, do we feel we are getting our fair share of that money? No. Does any group? No. That will never change. However, as its been stressed here over and over...its coming down to what your Governors and Mayors are doing with their money that has a bigger impact on our lives at work.

Where would Kerry come up with all this money that people believe he will send our way? What would he cut back on to get it? Would he raise our taxes to get it? Kerry could send huge sums of money to the local levels but what happened there would be again out of his control. Mismanagement and waste always suck tons of money out of any large department and no matter who the President is that won't change.

How many white shirts are sitting around doing jobs no one understands? How many cars and SUVs are bought for no apparent reason? How much money seems to disappear for projects that never seem to produce anything?

I think many of the issues facing departments across the country could be fixed at home if they took a hard look at themselves. Its easier to blame Washington and say it would be oh so better with a new guy. However, once he is there they will be saying the same thing about the next guy.

There are no silver bullets or magic potions that will solve our problems. Money for money sake won't save anything either. Look at how much money has been wasted in failed radio systems alone.

People blame Bush for problems in the Fire EMS service that have been around much longer than he has, but just never come to light until now in post 9/11 with new threats and money troubles.
    " The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." - Samuel Johnson

Forum Member

Originally posted by E229Lt

Firefighters in this country are under equipped, under staffed, under paid and under trained. To date, nothing has been done about it at any level of government. BUT, today I see the IAFF president over Kerry's shoulder at one after the other victory speeches and I believe that if Kerry wins, elected official, nationwide and at all levels will see the influence of our voting block and do more to support our ability to protect their constituents and an effective and safer manner than we do today.

BINGO ! That statement sums up how I feel about my job and this election. Maybe a Kerry win with the IAFF in tow will show other elected officials and candidates that we have a united voice. All politics begin at the local level and thats where we all should start with the lobbying efforts ....if we are ever going to make any gains toward the goal of safer staffing and better training of all firefighters, than we all have to get involved.
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

shawdcfdE6 My bitch is with local and state government politicians that don’t want to give up their own special interest programs in an effort to keep firehouses open. And also with a pro democrat union that wants to place blame on a republican President.

shawdcfdE6 Yes my Republican Mayor and my Republican Governor have a lot to do with FDNY $$$$ problems.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

• In Grand Forks, N.D., the city has more bio-chemical suits than police officers, and no place to put them. "We're not complaining," says Jim Williams, emergency manager of Grand Forks County (pop. 70,000), of the more than $1.5 million the county got in 2003. "It's more money than we've ever seen."Officials also have been able to buy two trailers equipped with gear to respond to weapons of mass destruction, decontamination tents and a semi-armored van. In the next round of funding, they are considering buying a $175,000 bomb-detecting robot and a second $15,000 bomb suit.
    • In Outagamie County, Wis. (pop. 165,000), officials have used more than $500,000 in federal aid to buy chemical suits, generators, rescue saws, disaster-response trailers, emergency lighting, escape hoods and more. Coming soon: a bomb disposal vehicle."This is a windfall, there's no doubt about it," says Bruce Sim, the county's emergency-preparedness chief.

The formula used to allocate the federal government's largest emergency-preparedness grant. Under that formula, each state receives 0.75% of the $2 billion pot regardless of population, accounting for nearly 40% of the money. The rest is divided among the states on a per-person basis. Other factors, such as population density, potential targets and threat levels, are not taken into consideration.
    Because 40% of the money is divided equally among all states, the least populous state, Wyoming, gets the most money per capita: $35.31 per person in 2003. California gets the least: $4.68 per person. New York, the third-largest state, gets $5.05 per person; Ohio gets $5.59 per person.

The federal government has sent nearly $200 million to help the city respond to heightened threat alerts, tighten security at ports and subways and train and equip emergency workers. But officials say they need $900 million for preparedness alone, and the federal money isn't enough.
    "This is despite New York being the No. 1 target,"
    In New York City there were two post-Sept. 11 plots against the city that have been foiled: a plan to destroy the Brooklyn Bridge earlier this year and another involving the city's Garment District.
    New York closed 6 Companies, we still must train the work force on a shoe string budget. Mr. Bush please send some more help to FDNY....
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Cool Yes I am a member of a SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP

John Kerry and Staffing
    John Kerry is a cosponsor of the IAFF's SAFER (staffing for adequate fire and response) legislation, S., 544, and cosponsored the original legislation, S. 1617, in 2001. (http://thomas.loc.gov)

In a speech to the IAFF's Legislative Conference in March, Senator Kerry proposed a "First Defenders Initiative" program to put 100,000 new fire fighters on the job; this program will also supply the training and equipment they need.
    (speech to IAFF Legislative Conference, 03/18/03)

John Kerry and Collective Bargaining
    "…collective bargaining is an American right, it is a human right,"
    (Berkshire Eagle, 6/23/03)

John Kerry has cosponsored the IAFF's collective bargaining legislation for three sessions of Congress (http://thomas.loc.gov).

Watch the Real Audio clip of John Kerry discussing Collective Barganing

John Kerry and the FIRE Act
    John Kerry cosponsored and supported the original freestanding FIRE Act legislation, S. 1941, in the 106th Congress, which created the program to provide direct federal grants to fire departments. Further, he cosponsored the FIRE Act Amendment to the FY 2001 Defense Department Authorization (S. Amdt. 3753), which passed the Senate.

In 2003, John Kerry supported an amendment to the Budget Resolution of 2003 that would have provided more funding for fire equipment, especially equipment related to homeland security (S. Amdt. 299 to S. Con. Res. 23)

Overtime
    "To take away overtime pay is to destroy many individuals ability to be able to make ends meet, to pay the mortgage, send the kids to school, buy the medicine for themselves and be able to live a decent life. And it is to dumb down, push down, squeeze down the quality of life in America," he said. (Minnesota Public Radio, Aug. 5, 2003)

John Kerry strongly opposes new overtime regulations and is sponsoring a petition on his website to oppose the new regulations proposed by the Administration. (www.johnkerry.com)

Federal Presumptive Disability
    John Kerry has supported and is the sponsor of the Federal Presumptive Disability legislation, S. 530, which would provide parity to federal fire fighters with their municipal counterparts in classifying certain cancers and heart ailments as job related ailments. (www.iaff.org)
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 02-23-2004 at 07:00 PM.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Cool MORE SPECIAL INTEREST

John Kerry firmly believes that fire fighters have inadequate resources in their job as frontline defenders. He realizes that fire fighters are in a unique position as first responders and will ensure that fire departments receive the funds they need for equipment, training, and hiring new fire fighters.

The Kerry Plan

John Kerry has supported the IAFF's FIRE Act, which provides grants directly from the federal governments to local fire departments. He was a cosponsor of the original legislation in the 106th Congress, S.1941, and also cosponsored the amendment that year that subsequently passed, S. Amdt. 3753. In 2003, he supported an amendment to the Budget Resolution that would have provided more funding for fire fighter equipment, especially as it relates to homeland security.

John Kerry's initiative for homeland security would supplement law enforcement officers with the National Guard, involving them in homeland security in case of a terrorist event. Americorps funding would be doubled so that its' mission will include assisting with medical response and community planning.

John Kerry's plan will immediately clear out the backlog of requests from local fire departments for training and equipment they so desperately need to do their job as homeland defenders. Further, the Department of Homeland Defense would be required to work with metropolitan areas to formulate basic standards of response for chemical, biological and other catastrophic attacks.

John Kerry believes that technology needs to play a major role in homeland defense. His plan would provide fire fighters radios with the interoperability functionality that they need to better coordinate their emergency response, and that investment needs to be made so that critical communication is made easier.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

shawdcfdE6 Your a Bush insider, can you please show me President Bush's Plan for Front Line FireFighters. And how the Federal Government, under the President's leadership will help FDNY.
    shawdcfdE6 if I sound like I'm all over the place please help me here...
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 02-23-2004 at 07:12 PM.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes I am a member of a SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP
    We all are. Only our "Special Interest" is the protection of American citizens, not our corporate spreadsheet's bottom line.

Forum Member

Right out of the pages of IAFF magazine I bet…You don't believe all that crap, do you?
    Hey my man if you think Kerry is going to make all your fiscal problems go away in FDNY then vote for him. As far as your Republican Mayor and Governor having a lot to do with FDNY money problems, vote them out, get rid of them. But I’m curious, how long has Rangel and Schumer been representatives in your state? I got an ideal make Hillary Queen of New York. She will solve your problems.
    Hey E40FDNYL35, do you travel around with a computer? If I spend anymore time on this thing my wife is going to kill me!
    Remember the money is always there, but the pockets change....

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

AGAIN...PLEASE EDUCATE ME WITH PRESIDENT BUSH'S PLAN

shawdcfdE6 Your a Bush insider, can you please show me President Bush's Plan for Front Line FireFighters. And how the Federal Government, under the President's leadership will help FDNY.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Cool JUST A NOTE

Originally posted by shawdcfdE6
    ....I’m curious, how long has Rangel and Schumer been representatives in your state? I got an ideal make Hillary Queen of New York. She will solve your problems.....
    SCHUMER, CLINTON: $20.2 MILLION IS ON THE WAY TO PROTECT PORT OF NY FROM TERRORISM

Funds include $11.4 million for Port Authority, $7.1 million for NYC Department of Transportation, $715,000 for FDNY

Schumer and Clinton declare victory as White House backs down and frees up additional $28 million Congress provided for port security

US Senators Chuck Schumer and Hillary Rodham Clinton announced today that the US Department of Homeland Security is providing $20.2 million to protect the Port of New York from terrorist attacks. Schumer and Clinton also announced that late last night, the Department of Homeland Security backed off its plan to redirect an additional $28 million that Congress had already appropriated for port security programs to other Administration programs, freeing up money for New York that had been held up since last month.

"The Administration finally gets that ports are a major homeland security vulnerability, and it's great news that they ready to send us the money we fought for to protect them," Schumer said. "Terrorists have every opportunity to import and stash weapons of mass destruction – whether chemical, nuclear or biological – in cargo shipping containers and in ports' vast cargo areas. We're not doing nearly enough about it."

“These federal resources are coming at the right time. For too long, we have postponed important security measures at our ports: better screening of cargo containers and improved background checks on employees because the money just wasn’t there. Now, $20.2 million is on the way to New York. This is an important first step and will help us begin the process of securing our ports and keeping the terrorist out,” Senator Clinton said.

Although Congress had approved $58 million for Operation Safe Commerce, a program aimed at making sure that cargo containers are not tampered with while in transit, the Bush Administration wanted to divert nearly half of the funding Congress had approved for the program to help cover a billion dollar shortfall in other homeland security programs. Schumer and Clinton protested the move and yesterday Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge told Congress that his agency will provide the entire $58 million in the near future. Today's grants only spend $30 million of the $58 million.

Today's funds come from the Department of Homeland Security's new Operation Safe Commerce program as well as the agency's Port Security Grants and Office of Domestic Preparedness programs. They include:

Circle Line - Statue of Liberty Ferry Inc. $15,600
    K-Sea Transportation Corp $169,600
    New York City Department of Transportation $7,047,500
    New York City Fire Department $715,000
    Port Authority of New York New Jersey* $11,395,000
    * Includes $850,000 for the Port Authority's Maritime Association

"Our ports are a gaping hole in our national security, and these funds are a good down payment," Schumer said. "One ship can carry thousands of truck sized containers filled with hazardous materials. Sixty eight nuclear power plants alone are located along U.S. waterways. Protecting ourselves means protecting our ports. It's that simple."

“Every step we can take to improve port security in New York and across America is a step in the right direction. When it comes to homeland security, we have made progress but we have not done all that we can to protect our country. We all want a stronger and safer New York and America, and the way to achieve that goal is to provide the federal resources to get the job done,” Senator Clinton said.

Schumer and Clinton also announced that in addition to the New York City funds, $1.1 million is going to Canadian American Transportation Systems, LLC of Rochester.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

CB, that was the best post I've read on this thread so far. You nailed it brother.

Don't drink the Kool-Aid!!!!
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Originally posted by CollegeBuff
    Funding the FDNY is not Bush's responsibility. If firefighting was a federal government function, and the same situation existed, I'd be screaming right next to you. But as it stands, there is a Federal government, a State government, and a Local government. Any problems with your funding need to be taken up with the last two.
    Bush didn't close your companies, and he can't re-open them. Bush didn't take the 5th man off the engines, and he can't put them back on.
    If we are fighting a NEW WAR, FDNY is on the front line (and I think you would agree). FDNY is in charge of Fire and EMS here in the City of New York. Now FDNY has to spend money out of the Fire and EMS budget for Training and Equipment for the WAR. We don't have enough members to work these hours so we hire overtime Firefighters and EMS. So why take money out of the FIRE and EMS BUDGET for THE US WAR on TERRORISM. The President came to New York promised he would help (photo op) and came up short. So New York was left to cut Fire Companies and more. If the Bush Administration ponyed up in the first place I feel The City would not be closing firehouse.
    Now Kerry has a plan to help. I have not heard or seen a plan from Mr. Bush. REMEMBER I AM OF A SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

Kerry's Plans? How confident can you be in him?

The Washington Post today..."As a candidate for the Senate in 1984, Kerry proposed eliminating a series of weapons systems, including the B-1 and B-2 bombers, the F-14A, F-14D and F-15 fighter jets, the Aegis air-defense cruiser, the Patriot missile system and the M1 Abrams tank, among others. Kerry told the Boston Globe last year that some of those proposals were "ill-advised, and I think some of them are stupid in the context of the world we find ourselves in right now and the things that I've learned since then..."

Washington Post..."In the stump speech he delivers virtually every day, Sen. John F. Kerry (Mass.) stirs the Democratic faithful by railing against current trade practices and slamming President Bush's policies on education, civil liberties and Iraq. But the Democratic front-runner does not mention how he, as senator, supported the president on all four issues, helping cement in law what he often describes as flawed government policies."

President Bush...."The other party's nomination battle is still playing out. The candidates are an interesting group, with diverse opinions: For tax cuts, and against them. For NAFTA, and against NAFTA. For the Patriot Act, and against the Patriot Act. In favor of liberating Iraq, and opposed to it. And that's just one senator from Massachusetts."

No one man is the answer to everyone's problems. However, Kerry likes to say he is with answers for all sides....then he just "changes his mind" later on when he is better "informed."
    " The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." - Samuel Johnson

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Originally posted by swrr88
    Kerry's Plans? How confident can you be in him?
    Now at least Kerry has a plan to help my SPECIAL INTEREST. I have not heard or seen a plan from Mr. Bush.
    REMEMBER I AM OF A SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP.
    NOTE:This tread is about IAFF and FIREPAC.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

"NOTE:This tread is about IAFF and FIREPAC"

I know...I started it.

This is exactly about FIREPAC and IAFF. They are endorsing a man who could be a risk to the nation's security because he has kissed up to them by promising things they are taking as set in stone. However, they are not even considering his habit of "changing his mind" and bluntly stating...oh, I voted for it then but I was wrong. I am against this but I voted for it every time it came to floor. They endorse him even though Edwards actually voted more their way on the big issues.

They are well aware we are at war and yet they take a man who has proven to be anti-defense, anti intelligence solely because he may give them something they want. They say he will protect fire fighters from terrorism but voted to get rid of every single defense system we are using in the war. Who cares how much he promises FDNY for training and equipment when he doesn't do anything to stop the terrorists from hitting us again.

How seriously will our enemies take a president who supported everything BUSH did until the road got rough and then he back peddled. How much strength will that present to Bin Laden?

Fire Pac and the IAFF are putting their own self serving goals ahead of the well being of the nation as a whole.

Forum Member

supported the IAFF's FIRE Act
    Damn, I always thought it used to be FEMA's FIRE Act. Guess that's why we keep getting turned down.

$1.1 million is going to Canadian American Transportation Systems, LLC of Rochester
    Your own reps are giving more money to other companies than the FDNY.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Damn, I always thought it used to be FEMA's FIRE Act. Guess that's why we keep getting turned down.
    While he does support FULL FUNDING of the FIRE Act. I believe what was being referred to was the SAFER Act.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Let me take this one Ray.

Again: explain to me why exactly my tax dollars should buy Outagamie County, Wisconsin a bomb trailer?
    I can think of no good reason for your federal tax dollars to be spent on a bomb trailer in Outagamie County, Wisconsin.

However, thinking that the base of the very economy that keeps you employed and paying those taxes is sitting here in downtown Manhattan with a bullseye on it, I would think the Feds would do more to protect it. You see, the "WORLD TRADE CENTER" was not the name of a building, it was a actual location.

Another item of interest would be The United Nations. I could care less if it was moved to Haiti, but for now it is on our shore and should be protected.

Most easily forgotten by some of the "Right" people, was the speech stating these vital points must be better protected and "help is on the way". I'm waiting

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

So it should be the responsibility of the federal government to fill holes in the budget's of local fire departments?
    "help is on the way". I'm waiting
    Sorry to butt in, but I think what happened in NYC goes a bit beyond the "usual" fill-in-the-holes-in-local-budget issue.

Of course, feel free to correct me if you think my opinion/understanding is wrong. Maybe I'm missing something ....
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Sorry to butt in, but I think what happened in NYC goes a bit beyond the "usual" fill-in-the-holes-in-local-budget issue.
    To a point I agree with you. The federal government cannot, nor should it, pick up the entire tab for the FDNY. Apparatus replacement and general operating expenses are not what is necessary. New equipment to handle NBC attacks, stockpiles of meds for chemical weapons, training money, etc. Radio communications that have been deficient for years are not. If the system was broken, then NYC needs to fix it, not me in central Mass.

While he does support FULL FUNDING of the FIRE Act. I believe what was being referred to was the SAFER Act.
    The Fire Act is another thing regarding why I am paying for somehting in Podunk, Utah, but we have had this argument many times adn neither of us will change our minds.

As for the SAFER Act, again, it will nto place more firefighters on the streets in the long run, so why even do it? So a politician can score a few points? Come on! And while teh IAFF may advocate for the legislation, it is not the "IAFF's SAFER Act."
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

As for the SAFER Act, again, it will nto place more firefighters on the streets in the long run, so why even do it? So a politician can score a few points? Come on! And while teh IAFF may advocate for the legislation, it is not the "IAFF's SAFER Act."
    This is the same tired arguement used against the COPS program of the nineties. The number may be in dispute, but to say no additional firefighters will be on the streets is BS.

Just as with COPS, believe it or not, there will be many new hires. True, many may be hired to replace retiring personnel. The fact is there are municipalities in this country that will add to their ranks with this money. Especially if you believe the economy will continue to improve. Communities that do not have the ability to pay additional firefighters now may well have those funds available in the future when the grant money runs out. For these communities, the program is just what the doctor ordered. I saw it happen with COPS.

As for your comments on SAFER, you are half right.

From the IAFF site:

The S.A.F.E.R. Fire Fighters Act
    In response to the September 11 terrorist attacks that killed thousands of Americans, including 343 IAFF fire fighters, the IAFF is spearheading a new initiative to hire an additional 75,000 fire fighters to prepare for future attacks. Currently, two-thirds of all fire departments are understaffed to safely and effectively respond to emergencies faced by fire fighters on a daily basis--let alone a terrorist attack. The IAFF, in partnership with the IAFC, is proposing a new federal grant program to hire more fire fighters so that communities will be adequately protected.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Forum Member

It may be a tired argument, but it is true. By your own post you admit that many are being hired to replace retirements. So what in the heck is the point? Why should you give the town the money to do what they are going to do anyway?

The economy will improve adn city adn town coughers will expand. It is at that point that we, as public safety prefoessionals, must ensure tht depleted manpower rolls are rebuilt to a satisfactory level. Because, after all, it is a local responsibility to provide for adequate police and fire protection, not the federal government's.

Oh yeah, it is the federal government's responsibility to step in every time and in every situation where the local government fails to provide for everything, and in every situation. I forgot about that.

Don't complain about the high rate of taxation then. (Not personally directed)
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Thread Information