Forum Member

Default Physical Testing

Hey guys, does anyone know of any volunteer departments that require a physical agility test as a prerequisite for membership?

Chad
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

no
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

I was bored at work today (surprise, surprise) and this topic has always interested me, so i did a little research on it. I found this quote taken from a hearing transcript involving the National Volunteer Fire Council and the US House of Representatives Committee on Education and the Workforce:
    "In 1995, the only year for which we have the statistics, 63 volunteer firefighters died and 33 professionals died. That is a very sobering statistic. Most of the volunteers died due to heart attacks on the scene where they were fighting the fires." (think about this: that was almost 10 years ago, how much have those numbers gone up?
    Now, I know on our volunteer fire department, if we required physical testing to be a member, we'd lose half of our guys just because they're middle aged and out of shape. (and heck, i'm only 23 yrs old but i'm not in the best shape, so i'm sure there are days that i wouldn't be able to pass a physical either...) I'd hate to see that happen, because we don't have that many people who actually show up for stuff because they're out in the fields or at the bar or sick, or just too busy with running their kids around and all the other stuff that regular people have to do. BUT that statistic really makes you think...those middle aged out of shape guys who spend most of their free time at the bar are very much at risk of being one of those 63 volunteers who died in 1995 due to a heart attack on the scene. Maybe OSHA should require some form of physical testing? I know it would hurt a lot of volunteer departments, including ours. I never have been able to make up my mind on this topic due to just knowing that I might not be able to pass a rigorous physical exam, along with many of my fellow firefighters.
    "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Forum Member

Hey guys, does anyone know of any volunteer departments that require a physical agility test as a prerequisite for membership?
    Yep. We do. Email me and I'll get you more info.......

Forum Member

ditto..............we do also .........same thing .....email with details ......
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information