Thread: 36 hours

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 36 hours

Hi there i been a member here for a couple months now but a first time poster. I was wondering what i can expect from taking the 36hr course. What is all involved in the classes and all that good knowledge. thanks for the info.

MembersZone Subscriber

You from Ohio?

In the Ohio 36 hour class you'll learn the basic basics

what fire is
    what trucks are
    pumps & pump operations
    scba use
    how to put the wet stuff on the red stuff

MembersZone Subscriber

yes, I am from ohio

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know how much real hands on i will be getting and how much class time it is And what it is like there. thanks alot

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by djslyde
    Does anyone know how much real hands on i will be getting and how much class time it is And what it is like there. thanks alot
    Welcome to the forums and the fire service.

I suggest talking to the guys on your new department. They will be able to answer your questions better than any of us can. The 36 hour curriculum may be the same but each instructor will teach it a little differently.

The only other advice I can give you is don't think that once you are done with the 36 hour class, you're done training. Take all the training you can, there is always something new to learn in this business.

Stop by the Ohio forum and check out this discussion on training classes: http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=55032

Best of luck and stay safe.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Don't expect any hands on other than donning and doffing gear, ladders, etc. I don't know of anyone around here that does any live fire training in the 36 hour class. Actually I don't even know if it is allowed by the state.

Basically, the 36 is enough to get you hurt. Like WTFD said, get as much other training as you can.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by firenresq77
    Don't expect any hands on other than donning and doffing gear, ladders, etc. I don't know of anyone around here that does any live fire training in the 36 hour class. Actually I don't even know if it is allowed by the state.

Basically, the 36 is enough to get you hurt. Like WTFD said, get as much other training as you can.
    I think you need at least Firefighter I for live fire training. You need to have that much, I believe, to participate in the state flashover trailer.

Hopefully your instructor will be able to get you, with airpacks, into a smoke house.

Just watching two classes separated by two years and two different instructions, the things taught can vary greatly.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by pfd3501

I think you need at least Firefighter I for live fire training. You need to have that much, I believe, to participate in the state flashover trailer.
    Nope, you can go through with just volunteer cert. but they want you to have had previous live fire training.

That doesn't really make much sense to me, it's supposed to teach you fire behavior.

I've been through the trailer twice and other than burns in an acquired structure, it's the best training you can have.

IMHO, it would be a perfect addition to the 36 hour class.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

the dizzle on the schnizlle is this ...............you will learn fire behavior...........NO LIVE burns. You will learn SCBA , ohses and nozzles, ladders , ventialtion, some building construction, some attack tactics, and all the hand tools.....pushing and prying cutting etc.Hopefully whoever teached you couse has accesss to a rig with some of these items on it. As far as hands on, you can expect to don and doff you gear and SCBA, do some seearching,weather permitting do some hoseline flow and movement, and ladder throws. If I can think of anything else I will post it. If you are wondering how I know this ..........I have been an Assistant Fire Instructor for the past 7 years or so..........if you have any other questions PM or email me.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

also there is another sighting of the SAME discussion here ..........
    http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=56185
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by WTFD10

Nope, you can go through with just volunteer cert. but they want you to have had previous live fire training.

That doesn't really make much sense to me, it's supposed to teach you fire behavior.

I've been through the trailer twice and other than burns in an acquired structure, it's the best training you can have.

IMHO, it would be a perfect addition to the 36 hour class.
    I know that on literature for the Ohio Fire Academy's Flashover Trailer, they require training beyond the 36 hour cert.

Forum Member

You must have your chief sign off if you only have the 36 hours.........

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for all the info.
    I am not with any station right now. I wanted to go with the 36hour class to start out with then bump it up to the 240. i just wanted to get my feet wet indtead of diving in right away and get over whelmed with all the new stuff im learing.Is this a good idea or should i just go strait in with the 240? thanks agian

MembersZone Subscriber

This is a good starter, it will help a little when you go to 240.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member

in this field it is better to start small and WORK your way up vs. jumping right into the full deal.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

firenresq77

You must have your chief sign off if you only have the 36 hours.........
    Did my Chief sign a permission slip when I did it?

Forum Member

Did my Chief sign a permission slip when I did it?
    I believe he did. I think they require the FF-I, but you can do it with just the 36 if the chief signs off saying you have had live fire training before.........

As for taking the 240 vs. the 36......... If you plan on staying in the field, go for the 240 if you have the choice between the two. I know if I could go back and do it over again, I would have just done the 240 right off the bat. Yes, it may be a little much for a new person, but if you are dedicated to doing the job, you should be fine.

Forum Member

Where are you taking this class at, a little curious to see what part of the state you are from. Anyway, the class will touch on the subjects mentioned earlier, well at least it should if the instructor you have is not to involved in war stories.

There are some pretty good instructors in the state, and then again I have witnessed some pretty lame ones also. Take what you can, and study the workbook and do the questions in the back.

You mentioned that you are not with any department. Why is that? To gain some other much needed experience and knowledge it probably would be a good thing to join and see the inside of a station before going forward. Find out how a department works, ask questions as to the workings of a department.

Good luck to you!

STILL STANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Assistant Chief

Question What's all this 36 hour talk?

I see a lot of discussion regarding a 36-hour training course for certification. Iím hoping maybe that somebody can shed some light on what this training involves and what your states require for individuals to perform the duties of a structural firefighter.

In the state of Wisconsin, where I live, our fire service is governed by the Department of Commerce. Department of Commerce 30, or Comm 30 for our state says that one needs a minimum of 60 hours training to participate in structural firefighting operations. This includes 30 hours of Entry Level Firefighter I and 30 hours of Entry Level Firefighter II which are combined into one course. Generally this is preferred by small volunteer departments and is given on Saturdays at local firehouses in the area in 6-hour blocks. The curriculum is based on the IFSTA Essentials 4th Edition textbook. Lessons include detailed lectures on PPE and search/rescue, ladders, hoses, nozzles and fire behavior. Some of the things that are left out usually include sprinkler systems, hydrants (since most of use donít ever see them), and other things that rural firefighters donít generally encounter. For this course I only ever did 1 training evolution in a live burn facility to feel the heat of fire and practice hydraulic ventilation. I took this class about 5 years ago.

As I find myself now seeking a career in fire service Iíve found that even in Wisconsin, the 60 hours of training that I took, pretty much counts for very little in the way of getting a job. As part of the 72 credit Associate Degree program at a local technical college Iím finally taking the 240 hour Firefighter I and II certifications courses. Iím finding a lot of my training and experience to be very helpful indeed, as Iíve quickly been singled out as the young ďcrustyĒ in the class. One instructor said I should be helping him teach. These courses are also being taught from the IFSTA Essentials 4th Edition and contain what Iím thinking are a more national standard of training than the 36 and 60 hour ďEntry LevelĒ courses Iím so curious about.

So, with that entire long-winded prelude again I pose my real question. What kind of training does your state require for you?

Thank you in advance. Stay safe out there!

Brad
    Last edited by 911brad; 03-05-2004 at 03:22 AM.
    Brad A. Ingersoll
    Assistant Chief
    Maple Bluff Fire Department
    Blooming Grove, Burke, Maple Bluff EMS

Badgerland FOOLS
    EGH-PTB-FTM

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: What's all this 36 hour talk?

Originally posted by 911brad
    The curriculum is based on the IFSTA Essentials 4th Edition textbook. Lessons include detailed lectures on PPE and search/rescue, ladders, hoses, nozzles and fire behavior. Some of the things that are left out usually include sprinkler systems, hydrants (since most of use donít ever see them), and other things that rural firefighters donít generally encounter. For this course I only ever did 1 training evolution in a live burn facility to feel the heat of fire and practice hydraulic ventilation. I took this class about 5 years ago.
    This is pretty much the Ohio 36 hour curriculum but probably not as detailed as a 60 hour course would be.

No live burn, Ohio law forbids it for this class.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Like Moe said, it's the bare bones minimum in OH to be a Volunteer Firefighter. Teaches you the basics (very, very basic). It's basically enough to get you killed. No live burns until AFTER you've passed the 36 hr. class.

Like Moe said, it's the bare bones minimum in OH to be a Volunteer Firefighter. Teaches you the basics (very, very basic). It's basically enough to get you killed. No live burns until AFTER you've passed the 36 hr. class.
    Sir,
    That is one of the most intellegent statements I have read here.
    It is refreshing to see a firefighter that understands the need for additional training and that you will never "know it all".
    Brother you are on the way to becomeing a great fireman! Keep up the good work!
    You have earned my upmost respect and admiration!
    Last edited by Vollie4life; 03-05-2004 at 11:32 AM.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Vollie4life

Sir,
    That is one of the most intellegent statements I have read here.
    It is refreshing to see a firefighter that understands the need for additional training and that you will never "know it all".
    Brother you are on the way to becomeing a great fireman! Keep up the good work!
    You have earned my upmost respect and admiration!
    Thanks, Vollie, but there are many others out there just like me!! Seriously though, I would like to see all OH Firefighters at least have the FFI (which is 120 hours). I know it's hard with Volunteers having other Full-Time jobs, but the 36hrs is just not enough...........

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, Vollie, but there are many others out there just like me!! Seriously though, I would like to see all OH Firefighters at least have the FFI (which is 120 hours). I know it's hard with Volunteers having other Full-Time jobs, but the 36hrs is just not enough...........
    Speaking of FF I, any updates yet? E-mail or PM me bro...
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Moe,
    We got a flyer from '77's department for a "transition" class coming up .........see if he can hook you up, if not I will try and scan and email it to you.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Thread Information