Thread: Giving blood

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Giving blood

There's a story on the front page about firefighters getting called for a fire after giving blood.

Link: http://www6.lexisnexis.com/wpublishe...503542&start=5

We have enough cardiac and dehydration risk as it is and this got me wondering about whether or not giving blood is such a good idea when on duty or subject to call. Even though my own department hosts blood drives several times a year, I wonder if we need to expressly prohibit on duty members from donating.

Anyone else have thoughts on giving? Any restrictions in your department?
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

Good question. I have given while on duty and came back to the station for the rest of the tour without any problems.

I think it may be better if members donate while off duty. This would give them the time at home to recover should they become weak or faint.

I don't think our city or department had a rule as not to allow on duty members to donate.

Stay Safe & Well out there....

Forum Member

The blood center always tells me not to do anything strenuous for 24 hours or so while my blood volume returns to normal. Makes sense to me that if we're a little hypotensive, we might ought to cut back our exertion. Paid FF's should probably consider this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Thanks for the article. Our Police Dept. is having a blood drive next month. I forwarded this to the Chief. I agree we should only give blood off duty.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default A Good Question...

with a simple answer. Err on the side of common sense. Everyone's body will react differently to the blood loss. My dad donates all the time and it rarely has an affect on him. I can donate and become light-headed while giving and be OK after a short rest. The safest way to handle this situation that has everyone's best interests in mind is to restrict donation to off-duty time. There are too many things involved with our jobs that can hurt or kill us that we don't need to add to the list.

MHO.
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

Forum Member

A department I was with held frequent blood drives. On duty members were specifically forbidden to participate for some of the same reasons already mentioned.

i agree on duty firefighters shouldnt give blood while on duty. but i do think they all should give blood when not on duty. just think one unit of blood can save 3 lifes.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wish I could give blood. I can't because it makes me very sick. I have only donated once, and got very sick. I got dizzy, very weak, and even threw up in the blood mobile. The crazy lady couldn't get the trash can to me fast enough so I had to swallow it.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member

The last time I gave blood, I remembered halfway through the "bleeding" that there was a drill in about 4 hours. I didn't worry too much about it because I thought it was a classroom drill, but it turned out to be a manipulative hose drill in full turnouts during which we, amongst other things, flowed a 2 1/2 line at high pressure with two-person hose teams and humped a lot of hose around.

By the end of the drill, I was definitely feeling much more tired and shaky than I would have been under normal conditions, and decided then that I'm not going to give blood again shortly before going on duty or to a drill. That being said though, I do plan on giving every chance I get...just have to coordinate better with my duty/drill schedule.

Thread Information