MembersZone Subscriber

=
    Last edited by OXFDE2; 02-17-2004 at 11:48 PM.

Forum Member

I've started to reply to this a couple of times in order to help you out, but each time I find my suggestions liimited by not having enough specific information.
    It may be that others are finding this a very difficult subject, also.

How is the chief dragging down the morale?
    How do the officers think the chief is doing in the position?

Lots of variables.

Early Adopter

If the chief is elected by the town, there should be a procedure for recall. Investigate that. Have department leadership meet with the chief and outline the concerns... if he doesn't respond appropriately, begin recall proceedings.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post And while you're at it.........

I don't like the sound of this from the start. Elected by the town? You folks need to start exploring the means to change that to avoid things like this happening again. Best of luck with this. Stay safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I agree with hwoods on this one....Elected by the town is asking for trouble right there...Our dept, in order to become chief you have to be elected by the "election commitee"...Which when our Annual meeting approches we decide who will be officers etc..This committee is made up of the Chief,1st and 2nd D/C......3 Capts,5 Lt's and a selected few Senior FF's...This group decides who will hold what ranks...Always seems to work out

WTF?????
    Ain't Skeerd
    Half Leather Forever....

Forum Member

WTF is WTF??? about??

Can you see the original post, Cause I can't?????
    Ain't Skeerd
    Half Leather Forever....

Forum Member

I see the thread is deleted, for whatever reason........it was about an old fire chief suposseedly eleceted by the town for the last 27 years ........and hadnt really wanted to bring the dept up to speed.......this is if course a synopsis of the original thread starter.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

actually as crazy as it sounds it is common for fire chiefs to be elected officals here in maine.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear" - Ambrose Redmoon
    ďItís like Legoís for firefighters.Ē Robert James III talking about hose appliances.
    "Police, Firefighters and EMS are the most collectively dysfunctional group of people in existence and only we understand each other!"

The first thing you can do is stand up and say something...I'm assuming the reason for deleting your post was maybe someone seeing it???? That's just my take...But remember if you are going to post something be prepared to stand behind it!!!!
    Ain't Skeerd
    Half Leather Forever....

Forum Member

Default I feel your pain

My departments chief was selected by the county appointed fire board some 20 years ago.

We elected an assistant chief 15 years ago (chiefs brother in law and the chief counted the votes) and never had another election.

Chief appointed 3 cpt's and 2 lt's, since then we had 2 cpt's resign and the chief hasn't found time to appoint replacements (only been 4+ years).

Moral is low, the asst fire chief (chiefs bother in law) is absent from any call after 5 pm on a week day and doens't make weekend calls (if he can get out of work, he will go to the call). The asst chief hasn't made the minimum # of training sessions in 4 years to just be on the dept and the chief refuses to do anything and has threatened us if we go to the fire board.

We are gathering our data and building our case to go to the fire board and ask that they do something about the asst fire chief.

Wish us well!

Forum Member

I wish you well....................
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

If the Cheif and the officials that keep him in office get along well, you'll have a tough time getting him out.

We went through a similar situation for several years before our township board stepped in and reorganized the dept.

In our case, the board started to realize that the existing officers were not doing what needed to be done. The membership knew it also, but some of the members had reservations about the only other qualified individual on the dept. Because of incidents in the past between the board and the ff's, the board was hesitant to make a change and put in the qualified person for fear the dept. would walk.

Membership was down,moral was terrible, trainings were a joke and only attended by a few members. Those of us that couldn't stand it any longer finally went to the board and told them if they didn't do something quickly they were going to lose the members anyway.

They stepped in, reorganized the dept. a year and a half ago with suggestions from us,now the moral is back, the training room is so full every training that it is standing room only and we have had seven new people join.

If some of your members really care about improving the dept., it may require stepping up to the plate instead of riding it out in the background.

Good Luck, hope you can bring it around

MembersZone Subscriber

Request an Officer meeting with the Fire Chief and discuss any matters of concern with him in a closed door session. One thing you donít want to do is address this out in front of the Firefighters. If you do then it could lead to the Firefighters loosing trust in the chain of command,and keep it from the public until all the facts have been found and addressed.

Also by having a closed door meeting with the Chief and his officers you can weed out any erroneous information that might be circulated by one of the members that wants his job and made promises to his followers of future promotions.

Get all accusations cleared up at the table, donít go in accusing him/her of any wrong doings. If you out right accuse him of wrong doing, and they prove to be false and nothing but false accusations, then you pretty much sealed your fate and your future employment with that department.

Just be sure before you take that step, and donít be mislead by other memberís opinions.
    Last edited by captjab; 02-18-2004 at 12:11 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default What the...?

The townspeople elect a fire chief?

That's like letting the Canadians elect our President!

Take control of your department and get out of the dark ages.

"That's the way it's always been done" is not always the right way or the best way to do things.
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

MembersZone Subscriber

REMOVE THE FIRE CHIEF? ARE YOU NUTS? WHO WOULD RUN THE FIRE DEPARTMENT?
    Everyone knows that it would be utter chaos(don't say it) without a chief.
    Wait a minute. I'm responding to an = sign.
    Someone from Oxford, Maine apparently is not happy with the current fire chief of their department, posted it and then changed their mind, but their avatar didn't disappear with their post, so we still know that someone from the Oxford, Maine Fire Department is not happy with their chief. Brilliant!
    Well, all's I can say is:
    =!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

FIGJAM

Gotta agree with Chief Reason!

First thing I'd do is NOT post that sort of topic with your town details in it! DOH!

There obviously needs to be a policy change- not sure though how you get arpound what appears to be a very old "tradition"...
    Luke

Disillusioned Subscriber

I have to wonder if someone changed their mind, or may have discovered that these forums aren't as "private" as they may have originally believed?
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, It would seem that there was a shift in the winds and whom-ever started the thread decided to drop tail and run.

Get the facts before you post, or post to get the facts.

Thread Information