Forum Member

Default Multi-Purpose Trailer

Anybody out there using an enclosed cargo trailer to transport items such as specialized rescue gear, haz mat gear, atv's, mass casualty ems supplies, etc?

We are looking to implement a cost effective method of getting our specialized equipment consolidated into on unit. Problem is that cannot be an existing piece of apparatus since they are full -- hence the problem of scattered equip!

Keep in mind this isn't your everyday stuff it's SAR equip, extra ropes, etc.

Anybody else doing this type of thing? If so can you get me some photos or links to who made it (we would actually buy a trailer and outfit it ourselves but it sounds like there are some manufacturers out there if you are willing to pay the price)

I am basically looking for design ideas to piece together to make what would best suit our response area needs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default My 2 cents

If you want something that is specific to your dept's needs, I would suggest looking at utility trailers from Haulmark or Featherlite (just 2 off the top of my head), and then customize it to your specs. You can add interior compartments, cabinetry, shelving, etc. to store whatever it is you want to carry. These can then be hooked to and hauled by a pick-up, brush truck, command vehicle, or even smaller engines or rescues when and where you need it.

Something like this would most likely prove to be more economical than having someone build you new truck or trailer.

I work as a FF/EMT in a chemical plant. We have a 22 ft. Haulmark trailer that has metal shelving, a desk/command area, tubular storage unit to carry spare SCBA cylinders, etc. that we use for off-site response to incidents. It works very well for us.

Good luck.
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

Forum Member

This is what we've started to do. We received a FEMA grant last year for a portable cascade. It is in a tandem axel enclosed trailer that we plan to equip with some of our other equipment. We tow it with one of our grass rigs.

I'll be watching also for some interior ideas

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll try to post some pix of the interior for you guys soon.

http://cincyfirerigs.net/dowcorningtrailer.htm
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

Forum Member

Thanks! We will be building ourselves by buying an empty trailer and lots of parts

Looking for layout ideas, measurements, etc. Our basic idea without seeing an existing one is shelving/racks down each side for gear storage, room for our ATV in the middle, floodlights recessed in the 4 outside corners with a generator on board

Forum Member

My dept. is looking into the same concept for our MCI support unit. We started to design what looked like a medium duty rescue truck (International chassis with roll up door rescue body) that would have been custom designed for MCI response. Of course, when the cost came in, we had "sticker shock" & decided a dedicated trailer could work plus we already have the utility pick-up to tow it.

Anyhow, I was going to post the same topic to get some input from everyone to see what they've done. While I'm still in the beginning stages of looking myself, I can tell you that Wells Cargo offers a lot in regards to trailers & custom options. Their website is
    www.wellscargo.com

Quick overview of our unit is as follows: it is a dedicated MCI response unit holding all the usual stuff (backboards, bulk supplies, spare O2)...we also have a mobile cascade system which most do not. We serve the entire township consisting of 11 other FD's & our dept. plus we are about 8 minutes from the county border into another heavily populated area. Basically, we will go anywhere so we want to be prepared for anything.

As we are looking to do very specific things with our trailer, an option we may consider is one that a local dive team utilized. They had a local vendor who fabricates high density plastic create modular sections that they simply bolted into their new step van (30+'long mind you). This truck is incredibly well thought out, looks like it was built by an apparatus vendor AND if they ever have damage or want to change it, they simply unbolt the modular sections and swap it out (probably sounds easier than it is but still a good idea).

Ok, that's my 2 cents..I look forward to seeing the other ideas that will be posted here...Stay Safe...

MembersZone Subscriber

one of the departments around here in MI, Clinton Township, they had a speically made truck, its one of those budwiser trucks, or pepsi trucks, made into a response truck. it carries all of their resuce/hazmat and such. i looked for a picture, but couldnt find one.

Forum Member

The State of Massachusetts has given every department with a hospital in jurisdiction or county fire district a Mass. Decon Trailer.

Its a simple white tandem axle trailer with a light towers on the front with side and rear doors and its about 20' long packed with Level A suits,Mass decon tent,Tyvek suits, water heater,haz-mat litters and alot more stuff.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

STM-
    My dept had one of the Haz Mat Decon trailers until it was pulled by another FD (long story..not gonna get into it here..) We are currently looking at "replacing" it with something similar to store all of our MCI stuff, road cones, signs, etc. We are working with the PD to use it as a shared trailer. We are also looking into using it as a mobile command post, so we'd have a few mobile radios mounted in it. We are going to put a 110 AC plug on it, so we can charge portable radios in it, as well as run the mobiles. We'd have a generator that travels along with it to power it at scenes. We currently have a Suburban that the FD runs for med calls that can pull it, as well as an Expedition that the Emergency Management group from the town got through a grant. I'm sure there is grant money out there to fund such a trailer.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Forum Member

I know they work for some, but we never had much luck with trailers. Too many accidents. The only one we have left is the one for our rescue boat. Everything else has been moved on to apparatus. Have you ever considered a utility van?

Dave

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down No Trailers Or Step Vans For Me.............

We have an interest in this topic, as we are looking at adding another unit for Customer Service. We have ruled out Trailers and Step Vans in favor of another Truck with a Rescue or Beverage Delivery type of body. Trailers and Step Vans fall into a similar area - Stability. Most of these are very unsteady at any speed, are more difficult to operate in tight spaces, Etc.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Our experience has been with Wells Cargo trailers and contrary to hwoods' experience, we have been amazed at how easy they are to pull and how well they handle at highway speeds. We were also surprised at how inexpensive it was to purchase a base trailer and outfit it ourselves.

Before you start, you need to evaluate exactly what you will be using it for and how much it will weigh fully loaded. Determine what the towing capabilities of your tow vehicle are (be sure to account for the weight of any equipment on the tow vehicle) and invest in a good quality hitch and braking system.

Trailers have limitations, be I have found them to be excellent for support operations.

Forum Member

We have just put in an order for a 32' triaxle Wells Cargo trailer.We were impressed at the construction of the unit and how light it is to pull. We designed it to be used as a command/disaster services unit that we could use in the event that our present ECC was compromised. We house our 911 centre, fire, ambulance, and police in one complex. The layout is the back 6' is storage accessable from outside as well as insde door, a 6' radio room, a 10' kitchen/rehab area and washroom, and a 10' warroom in the front. It is on a pintel hitch, has 2 furnaces 1 rooftop A/C unit and a genset. We have somewhat over done the wireing as we have put in lots of phone/data cableing and lots of 110volt outlets, if you don't need them, fine but if you do need more after the fact it gets messy, so go big in the wireing.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a 20 ft inclossed barn door trailer, that has not been set up yet for rescue equipment yet. cibbing, spill containment, trench... misc rescue stuff we dont use all the time but still need it handy, do any of you have a trailer like this? and if so any pics to help us out with our layouts? thanks Dean

Forum Member

A local dept near me uses one for there trench colapse. Theres a pic in there apparatus page, you could proble email them for the specs.
    Mechancistownfd.com
    put the wet stuff on the hot stuff.

EMT
    Firefighter
    Hazmat Tech.
    911 EMD dispatcher
    IPN Dispatcher

MembersZone Subscriber

Our county uses one for our EMS disaster unit-which is housed in our station. It is set up for 50 patients-backboards,splints, o2 ect. When I get a chance today I will swing buy the station and get some pictures and post them for you.

We also have a county foam trailer with 250 gallons of foam and all the hose and nozzles with it that you need.

We also have 2 trailers set up with our county decon equipment in it. The decon trailers have not been used except for training we just got them spring of 2003. The ems trailer has been used a couple of times and so has the foam trailer.

It is for equipment that we do not use all the time and has worked great for us as a county.
    Les Hartford
    Assistant Chief
    LMR Fire Dept.

The views posted here are strickly my own and not of any of the groups I am affiliated with.

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Here's a picture of our USAR Trailer .

As you can kinda see in the picture, we carry cribbing, tools, lighting, and other technical rescue equipment on the trailer. It doesn't get hauled out much, but we do occasionally need it, like back over 4th of July when a resident drove into the support for his carport and collapsed it on top of him and his car (wasn't injured, just trapped).

The trailer's stationed at our old 2nd station (just used for storage now) and if we need it, we send Utility 41 to tow it on-scene.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

MembersZone Subscriber

Attached are the images of the Monroe County (MI) EMS trailer
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Les Hartford
    Assistant Chief
    LMR Fire Dept.

The views posted here are strickly my own and not of any of the groups I am affiliated with.

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

This is a picture looking into the trailer. Backboards (also a small walk in on the right front) are just inside each door. O2 bottles are in the back along with triage flags and supplies. The boxes on the left side contain Collars in the closest to the back door the 2nd row in has O2 tubing and supplies.
    Les Hartford
    Assistant Chief
    LMR Fire Dept.

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

This is a better look at the left side of the trailer from the back
    Les Hartford
    Assistant Chief
    LMR Fire Dept.

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

This picture shows the right side of the trailer looking from the back.

It has an assortment of trauma dressings that are all sorted and labeled on the box that it is in
    Les Hartford
    Assistant Chief
    LMR Fire Dept.

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

This is the front of the trailer on the left are splint kits. The boxes have Biohazard bags and body bags. To the right of the boxes are short boards then more full size boards. Then a man door out the side of the trailer beside the cabinets to the right.
    Les Hartford
    Assistant Chief
    LMR Fire Dept.

IACOJ Member

Thread Information