Forum Member

Default Public Funding of Fire Departments, Rescue Squads, and Ambulance Companies

Not open for discussion - just read it.

However, I have no idea how out of all the threads I can only access one. The firehouse chat is bogus; and a Safety and the Internet section would not help anything, if things can't be proven for criminal and civil liability, i.e. computer scinece, how web sites/servers work, and other technology (there effect on the body and things ordinary people don't suspect - suspect things that are illegal, such as battery, assult, endangerment).

Here is what should be done legislatively. It solves a lot of problems and makes things easier. Instead of signing a non-descrimination form for the Amoss Funds, make it law that public money is conditional on an open door policy, so every fire department, rescue squad, and ambulance company has to sign that they have an open door policy.

Revise the Law:

Add a third section to 45C Allocation and Distribution of Funds of the Maryland Code/Article 38A Fires and Investigations/Senator William H. Amoss Fire, Rescue, and Ambulance Fund: To require that and OPEN DOOR POLICY be "a condition to receive financial assistance under the subsection" 45C.

Brief Out Line:

Encourage Maryland Fire Departments, Rescue Squads, and Ambulance Companies To Adopt Non-Discrimination Policies

1. Signing a non-discrimination statement for state aid doesn't always get the job done or ensure that non-discrimination exists.

2. An Open Door Policy should be required to receive public money.

Open Door Policy

1. Send a letter to all fire departments, rescue squads, and ambulance companies in Maryland to adopt an open door policy for new applicants or re-applicants.

∑ If background checks are required, to adopt rules and regulations similar to the Maryland Army National Guardís rules and regulations on criminal offenses and applicants. To also come up with other measures if other problems are encountered for physical and mental disabilities or reputation issues.

∑ To give all people a chance, with in a suggested six month period, to complete a basic form of training (EMS or fire fighting), help with response, attend meetings, and help with fund raising before being voted on.

2. Newspaper ad suggesting that anyone interested in volunteer fire fighting or EMS, to join their local fire department, rescue squad, or ambulance company that might lead to a professional career. And to suggest an open door policy. For each County in Maryland.

I guess there could be problems with the open door policies that each company might have or come up with. However, there might be a possibility of a Standard Open Door Policy. Some agency, organization, or govorning body could endorse an open door policy, such as above. It must be up to someone else becuase no matter where I go, without membership or current certification or skills, I seem to be nobody.

Becky DeWitt
    Kitzmiller, Maryland
    Former EMT/Fire Fighter

Forum Member

Default Open Door Policy

Legislative: Open Door Policy for new applicants/re-applicants

Add a third section to 45C Allocation and Distribution of Funds of the Maryland Code/Article 38A Fires and Investigations/Senator William H. Amoss Fire, Rescue, and Ambulance Fund: To require that and OPEN DOOR POLICY be "a condition to receive financial assistance under the subsection" 45C.

Brief Out Line:

For Maryland Fire Departments, Rescue Squads, and Ambulance Companies To Adopt Non-Discrimination Policies

Signing a non-discrimination statement for state aid doesn't always get the job done or ensure that non-discrimination exists.

An Open Door Policy should be required to receive public money.

Open Door Policy

To all fire departments, rescue squads, and ambulance companies in Maryland to adopt an open door policy for new applicants or re-applicants.

If background checks are required, to adopt rules and regulations similar to the Maryland Army National Guardís rules and regulations on criminal offenses and applicants. To also come up with other measures if other problems are encountered for physical and mental disabilities or reputation issues.

To give all people a chance, with in a certain period, to complete or begin basic form of training (EMS or fire fighting), help with response, attend meetings, and help with fund raising before being voted on. To prove themselves. And if they can't afford an lawyer to fight discrimination this will help those without money, or don't want their safety or fire/rescue services compromised by claiming discrimination or wrong doing.

Create a standard open door policy as a guideline for incorporation and adoption of an open door policy for fire departments, rescue squads, and ambulances.

Incorporate the open door policy statement to receive public money into the Maryland State Police's Procedures for Administration of the fire, rescue, and ambulance fund, section IV, part C, part of the Non-discrimination statement form - so departments, squads, and companies certify that they do not discriminate AND have an open door policy.

If anyone would have any concerns about insurance and high risk - itís a matter of putting a personís name on the roster and letting the insurance company know. If any one could prove that it would cost more money, then put the high risk person to work to raise money. There are many other things that can be done to save money and find coverage, such as to look for another insurance carrier. This shouldn't be problem, but it's mentioned here in case someone does say something about it.

For discussions, you can go to www.msfa.org. Register for their forum. I have posted under Training a lot more of the details and arguments (or possible arguments). I'm lucky people actually listened to "not open for discussion", must think the same thing on other message boards, too.

I made these neat brochures for a Maryland Fire, Rescue, EMS Open Door Policy. Unfortunately, since I don't have anybody to help at this point with them, I up-dated, corrected, and changed them. If anyone wants one, e-mail me at dewitt@pennswoods.net

Becky DeWitt
    Kitzmiller, Maryland
    Last edited by DeWitt7; 02-24-2004 at 08:20 AM.

Thread Information