Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Tag/Accountability System

What Type Of An Accountability System Do You Use.....We Have A 3 Tag System...2 Traditional Tags WIth Your Name And Dept And Photo ID Tags For Large Mutual Aid Fires....Just Wonderin What Y'all Use

We use a county wide 1 tag system. The tag contains Dept. name, FF's name, and position (ex.- FF/EMT, FF, Lt), and for officers their line # (ex Chief, C1 or LT,65, EMT). My dept's are engraved plastic while others are just plastic tags with label machine stickers.

looks like this

Sample FD
    John Doe
    FF/EMT

or

Sample FD
    John Doe
    Capt,C7,EMT-P
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

We have a two tag system

Forum Member

im on two companies...both of which use a two tag system...both companies use the first tag when u get on the piece...the second tag differs...one company has the second tag on the ring on the back of your helmet...that way when you enter a structure the guy behind you will remind you to drop your tag if you forget...the other company collects the tags and puts them together as partners when entering structures only under certain conditions (ie. working for or smoke condition)...the tags are just thick plastic with name and coat number engraves into them...

He have a 1 tag system. It is a photo ID that contains the FFs medical history inside of them. If that FF gets hurt, the EMS unit and the hospital will have that info because the tag goes with him to the hospital. Does anyone else use tags like that?

we usse the same type of tag minus the picture .......
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

We purchased an out-of-the-box passport kit several year ago that is a three tag system (on scene, exterior task, interior SCBA). It has never really worked as well as we liked, so we are debating whittling it down to two tags, on scene and tasked.

Each tag has the FF's name and number on it, and they are kept under the back of the helmet brim until you are assigned.

I like the idea of the picture and the medical info, but our little tags are too small for any extra info.

Anybody have pictures of their boards/tags?
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

We use a 1 tag system. Each tag has our last name and ID number on it. The officer collects them on the way to the fire and hangs them on a ring on the rig's dashboard.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

We use a 1 tag sytem. We have a designated spot on the Engine to place the tags, as well as someone functioning in the position of Accountability Officer. The tags are kept on the back of the helmet, so everyone is able to see your tag and remind their buddy to drop it before they go in. Each tag has the Dept name, individual call # as well as last name and first initial.

Forum Member

Default County wide system

The county just instituted a county wide accountability system. It's a two tag with picture ID and qualifications on one side and personal data on the other.

We use a 1 tag sytem. We have a designated spot on the Engine to place the tags, as well as someone functioning in the position of Accountability Officer. The tags are kept on the back of the helmet, so everyone is able to see your tag and remind their buddy to drop it before they go in. Each tag has the Dept name, individual call # as well as last name and first initial.
    Our system is almost exactly the same as this. The only difference is our tags are color coded (like helmets are) and don't have the dept. name on them. One tag is put on the "designated spot on the engine", the other tag goes to the officer the ff is working with on the scene. The other dept I volunteer for also uses this same system, except the tags aren't color coded and just have the person's name on them. Every department in the county uses a different tag system...there isn't a set tag system for the county.

Every department in the county uses a different tag system...there isn't a set tag system for the county.
    This goes for different fire departments accountability systems. There is a county-wide tag-ID system for designating EMT's. It's one ID tag with a photo, fire dept. name the person works for, EMTB/I/or P rank, and color coded based on that "rank."

We have 3 tags that are velcroed to the underside of our helmet and they have our name and ID number. They are color coded per rank. Probies are green, FF are black, LTis red , Capt is yellow, and Chiefs are white. When you board the rig, everyone in back puts two on a board and hands it up to the officer. The officer than places on of each persons on a "passport". One passport stays with the vehicle and the other goes to command for the command board. Command can then take each passport and put it under assigned tasks. We also have generic one for our mutual aid companies to use on the board. Each person keeps their 3rd tag on their helmet and would use that for "point of entry" control. It works well for us......

Temporarily/No Longer Active Cellblock776's Avatar

Great topic. The Depatment I'm with, East Iberville Volunteer Fire Department, has NO accountability system. I have brought up the subject of having tags made and developing a policy for their use but the motion died for lack of a second. I'm not supprised since I we don't even use the Incident Command System here. I just ran a Haz-mat call today, Natural gas line hit by workers digging a trench, and 3 trucks rolled to the call from the main station after the first page. Three minutes later, Dispatch paged again since no units had gone 10-8 (in service) and the Chief came on to tell dispatch that we were already 10-97 (on scene). Before this No one had even bothered to come on the radio to tell dispatch or any other responders that we were responding, We were on scene and that Incident Command was being established or who was in charge or any other info. Yes, I know that it's a Federal Law that ICS is used on all Hazmat scenes. I give up trying to change things for the better. If anyone needs me I'll be over here in the corner crying in dispair.

Forum Member

We use a 2 Tag System. Our second tag is placed on a Clemons-First Due board. The board has been upgraded with a short peice of rope(1ft.)with a caribeaner(sp?)atatched to it so it can be hung or clipped on an object at the point of entry. It also has a small green strobe light screwed to it, so it's easier to spot in the dark. It has worked well for us, but our sister M/A departments have yet to grasp the concept of a 2 tag system. For those using two tags, where do you put your second tag, at the point of entry or with the operator of the first due peice? Leaving it at the point of entry has been a hang up for our M/A depts., that's why they haven't adopted the 2 tag system yet.
    Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way.

My department uses a three tag system. The tags are color-coded depending on ability. Tags are plastic cow tags with a number (mine is 17). One tag is kept inside the jacket, a second is left at the engine, and the third is either given to the safety officer or left at the door if you are certified for internal firefighting. I also bought a set of dog tags with my name, social security number, and blood type on them that I wear just in case.
    Last edited by SmokeyNY; 02-22-2004 at 09:12 AM.
    Once an Eagle, always an Eagle.

MembersZone Subscriber

We currently use a two tag system, color coded White Chief, Red Captain, Black Engineer and Firefighters. it has name and rank on tag. One tag goes on a board on the apparatus, the second tag goes onto a PAR board/Passport and in theory goes to the IC. I say in theory because it never seems to make it that far, it either gets left on the apparatus or forgotten about in the pocket of the officer who took it, and that person is usually inside the structure. But it will take awhile, everyone seems to have their own way. At least we are remembering to use them.

Thread Information