Forum Member

Default Do YOU practice what WE preach?

I know we all have smoke detectors in our homes (right?) but how about extiguishers? How many of you with children have practiced fire exit drills? How about those multi electrical plugs (strips)?

I have three extinguishers. One in my kitchen, one in my laundry room and one upstairs. We have never "practiced" an exit drill, but have talked about it with the kids.

One multi plug that I'm going to get rid of...really.

Be honest.

Dave

Forum Member

I keep (or now kept) 2 fire extinghuishers, had smoke detectors on every floor, and only have a surge protector, for the computer, do not have any multi-plugs. My kids are 2 and 3 years old and have not practiced an exit drill but wiil when they get old enough.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I know we all have smoke detectors in our homes
    Yes.
    but how about extiguishers?
    Yes,going AFFF ones soon.
    How about those multi electrical plugs (strips)?
    Just the surge strips on the computers.
    How many of you with children have practiced fire exit drills?
    No, no children!
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

smoke detectors on all floors, extinguishers in the house and my wifes home business and my shop, practice the escape ladder with my kids in the spring and fall from their second story bedroom.

How can I suggest to others if I don't make my own family safe?

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Smoke detectors in the dining room, just outside the kitchen, and in the hall between the bedrooms.

Fire extinguishers in the kitchen, garage, and all three vehicles.

The only multiplugs are surge protectors on the computers and entertainment center.

No kids, so no fire drills. Have just recently finally convinced the wife to not use the electric stove eyes as a temporary storage spot for flammable materials like bags and plastic bowls.

Fryed up is right, we should set the example.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Ah.....It's one thing to have smoke detectors, it's another to have "working smoke detectors". Do you test them frequently and change their batteries when you change your clocks? That's the message the Fire Safety Educator's ***'n I belong to conveys -- "WORKING smoke detectors save lives". Think about it, how many articles have you read (even on this site) that say the home had smoke detectors that weren't working or the batteries were missing? We need to tell people (inc. ourselves) that fire does not discriminate, it can happen to anyone at any time.

How about CO detectors? We (parents and I) keep saying we need to get one....And have yet to actually do it.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

Yes, we have working smoke detectors on each floor of our home, fire extinguishers are in place. Only multiple outlets are on the copmputers.
    We have practiced EDITH with the kids, they get a big kick out of it, and it works. When the detector goes off @ dinner they practice on their own. . .

Forum Member

Smile

I had to smile and sit back while I was reading this.

When my kids were small, son 10 and daughter 7, (1974) we had a fire in the kitchen on the stove top. My wife was preparing dinner. It was about 5:30 PM. I was on a K day, (old timer) and helping the kids with home work.

We lived in a three bed room rancher and had three smoke detectors throughout the house. I also had a 20 pound dry chemical and a 15 pound CO2 fire extinguishers.

The weather was cold for this area and we had recently had some problems with the oil furnace back firing and cause a small fire in the firebox.

We all heard a smoke detector go off. Thinking that the wife was cooking and had some smoke or steam emmitting from the stove, I didmissed the alarm. She started to yell for me to come to the kitchen.

When I got to the kitchen door, I saw we had a problem. The stove stop was on fire under the electric burners. I went through the kitchen, telling my wife to call the fire department, got to the electrical panel box and pulled the main for the range. I turned and picked up the CO2 and as hit the fire. I knocked it down in quick time. It had already destroyed the wiring and elements.

The fire department arrived and made a big joke with me, I work with these guys, for catching the kitchen on fire. They never did beleive that the wife was in the kitchen and not me.

My son, who was 10 at the time, had been through the fifth grade fire safety class at school. He was on the floor rolling to the door when the guys arrived. Of course, he had already learned every thing he needed to know about fire safety before receiving it in school.

Needless to say, the insurance company replaced the stove.

The point to this is:

Have working smoke detoctors in your house.

Change the batteries twice a year.

Use only fresh aklaline batteries.

Have at least two good, up to date fire extinguishers at your easy reach.

Train your wife, husband or partner as well as the kids, if they are big enough to use a fire extinguisher, to use a extinguisher.

Plan for what you are going to do if and when you have a fire.

Have an excape route already fixed, with an backup route.

Practice this excape. In the day light and after darkness falls.

Be sure your telephone works when the electrical power is off. Some of the newer phones don't work with out electricty. Cell phones are nice BUT as of now they DO NO GIVE the PSAP (public safety answering point) the excact location where the call is coming from.

Stay Safe & Well out there....

Forum Member

Smoke detectors? 3 stand-alone battery smoke detectors that were in the house at time of purchase. They have current batteries (change 'em with the clocks)

ADT alarm system with Fire Central Station monitoring

CO detector? I added one after buying the house. Since then it has become code that one is required in residential occupancies. It is inspected along with your smoke detectors during an inspection by fire inspector as part of a real estate transaction.

Fire Extinguisher in kitchen, master bedroom, shed/workshop and both vehicles.

Fire drills... don't practice it. My son is under 2 so he would be going out the door with mom or dad not on his own. Will definitely be practicing drills when he gets old enough to be physically able to get out and mentally able to understand the procedures.

Multi-plugs? Surge suppressor on the computer upstairs, surge suppressor on the home theater system and surge suppressor on the aquarium. All three on different breakers in the circuit panel

I try to practice what we preach with most things. I'll admit it's not easy sometimes. My wife gives me grief.. "You worry too much..." "Your so uptight about these things.." "Can we get rid of this thing, it takes up space in my cabinet?" I guess the bottom line is, as with most of you, I have seen the horrific outcomes of lives lost and torn apart, and if I can avoid it in my home I am going to try my best!

Stay Safe!

Forum Member

Smoke detector in cellar, 2 on first floor, second floor - 1 in each bedroom and 2 in the hall, also 1 in attic. Centrally monitored by my local PD, who also dispatches us (talk about instant notification). CO detector - nope. Practice drills with my 7 year old daughter, 3 year old is a little too small.

How many of our fire stations are not protected?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Temporarily/No Longer Active

I have smoke detectors outside of each bedroom and in the living room. Have 5lb ABC extinguishers in each bedroom and in the living room. Have a small kitchen extinguisher mounted near the stove. And when I bought my garden hose I got 100 foot length on a spool to reach anywhere in the house until the VFD gets here to flow big water.
    Power strips- I REALLY need to get rid of a few. It's especially bad in my hobby room where I have my computers and Ham radio and scanner desk setup. I just never seem to have enough outlets.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

Smile Similar to Old Timer

Years ago when the kids were still at home their cousin was visiting and we were heating oil on the stove for tacos. No one was in the kitchen. Suddenly the smoke detector went off. I ran to the kitchen and found flames from the stove top to the ceiling. I grabbed the kitchen fire extinguisher and quickly put the fire out. When I looked for the rest of the family they were all standing by the telephone pole in the front yard just like we practiced.

They drills do work and can save lives.

I now have three extinguishers, smoke detectors, plus a heat detector in the kitchen over the stove so if you just burn burgers you don't get an alarm. If the smoke travels 10 feet at the ceiling a smoke detector will go off.

The one in the hallway by the bedrooms also includes emergency lighting. I have pulled to many dead bodies out to neglect my family.

Stay safe,

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

Forum Member

Originally posted by Bones42

How many of our fire stations are not protected?
    I think itís embarrassing. In almost every station Iíve been in, Iíve seen things which we would lecture others on.

I have 3 smoke detectors in my house. All are hardwired with a battery back-up. In my city, dual power is code. I also have a CO detector in the basement (it probably needs replacing though). Both upstairs bedrooms have window ladders. We have 2 extinguishers: one in the basement, and one in the garage (right next to kitchen/laundry). We had more, but they were used on lawnmowers on more than one occasion.

Iím currently in the process of installing more outlets to eliminate all of the extinction cords/ multi-plugs.

Forum Member

I agree, most of the stations are in BADDDDDDDDDDDDD shape ...........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

In addition to the stuff that has been covered already, I have to add that I'm a real horse's *** when it comes to candles (much to my wife's dismay). I keep telling her that she can have all the candles she wants as long as none of them are lit!

Actually, I'm not quite that bad, but candles, on the very rare occasions when they are used, are NEVER unattended and always in or on a suitable noncombustible holder.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

or on a suitable noncombustible holder.
    You mean the parafin and paper mache holder I made for my gf in art class is combustable?
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hard wired smoke detectors with battery backup:
    1 in partially finished basement
    1 in living room
    1 in kitchen
    1 in dining room
    1 in hallway to bedrooms
    1 in each bedroom, total of three

Non-wired smoke detectors:
    1 in basement
    1 in kitchen
    1 in hallway to bedrooms

CO2 detectors/smoke detectors:
    1 in basement
    1 in kitchen
    1 in master bedroom

Extinguishers:
    1 ten pound ABC in kitchen
    1 ten pound ABC in basement
    1 ten pound ABC in master bedroom
    1 twenty pound ABC in garage
    1 2.5 pound in kitchen
    1 2.5 pound in master bedroom
    1 PW in garage
    2 PWís in basement

150ft of pre-connected (LOL) garden hose at both ends of the house and in the garage. Two 2.5hp wells both with 150 gallon holding tank water supply.

We practice fire drills twice a year with the boys (5 and 8 years old). We teach them everything down to how to break the windows out to escape, what to do if mom and dad are not at the meeting point and to look for the white hats when the fire company arrives.

Maybe Iím a little overkill?

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a couple thoughts

To add to oldtimer's list of things-don't play off the alarm they should all be investigated till proven otherwise.

Perfesser you are absolutly right on the candles. My wife likes to burn them-however I have her so scared of them know she won't lite em till I'm home Or maybe she is trying to get rid of me
    Les Hartford
    Assistant Chief
    LMR Fire Dept.

The views posted here are strickly my own and not of any of the groups I am affiliated with.

IACOJ Member

Thread Information