Forum Member

Default Lets not combine this stuff on a train... ever....

GIANT ROLLING BOMB DERAILS AND LEVELS 5 VILLAGES IN IRAN

I would think that after all the bombings and "I love god so i'm going to blow up downtown" incidents, someone would figure out that this is NOT a good idea.

Cargo:
    GASOLINE
    INDUSTRIAL CHEMICALS
    FERTILIZER

I head them quote the cargo like that on the news today as I was walking out of the break room and couldn't help but stop and think "Gee, thats a GREAT combination..." Apparently it leveled 5 villages and actually measured a 3.6 on the richtor scale.
    Last edited by nmfire; 02-19-2004 at 12:24 AM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

That was EXACTLY my thought when I first heard the story on CBC.

I don't know the background, but that one seems like it should have been in the "shoulda known better" column. (And now, how many of these Al Quada nutbars are thinking, Hmmm, who would suspect the trains.)
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Before I could react to the contents of the train cars, my wife, who has absolutely no training even remotely close to haz mat or any kind of emergency response, beat me to it.

"Duh" she said, "fertilizer and fuel oil? Isn't that what blew up the Murrah building".

I have never been so proud, she actually listens when I talk...sometimes.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Forum Member

Ummmm that stuff and more is hauled everyday right next to each other on US rails-----in your backyard! . Heck in this picture there is Propane and Anhydrous Amonnia 4 cars from each other.pic 1 pic2 In this pic........even though it is empty glycerin cars.......this easily could have been propane or hydrocloric acid.
    This is a scene repeated every day in anytown USA!

After 9/11 the department of homeland paranoia issued security plans for airports,highways and shopping malls. They claim to have a plan for railroads.........still havent seen anything yet now in 2004 accept for harrasing railfans. Which are turning out to be more helpful than cameras.

And yes the train going through YOUR community DOES haul HAZ MAT's and YOU are NOT exempt.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Thank you, captain obvious. My point was two-fold.

1. It can happen

2. The ironic nature of the cargo.

On a more somber note... "The dead included 182 fire and rescue workers."
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Jesse, again you have missed the point entirely. I know you are a train buff, but calm down for a moment.

The government already has regulations in place that detail what haz mats can be hauled together, some require a seperation of X number of rail cars.

Maybe these need to be reviewed.

Try posting without the anger once in a while. Talking to us (many of whom have far more hazardous materials knowledge than you realize) like we are children is pointless at best.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Forum Member

Nm what I got from the thread title was that you were some how shocked that this stuff was in the same train.

I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

No matter how they separate the rail cars carrying hazmats, once the damn thing jumps the tracks, all bets are off!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information