Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Rotary Saw Blades

We are finalizing our RIT.

We have added a CuttersEdge ventilation chainsaw, as well as a Stihl 14" rotary cut-off saw on our squad.

I am curious what type of blade we should run on it--and why--for RIT use. Since we don't have a lot of instances where we use rotary saws (our tower truck has one) I don't have a lot to go on.

The options:
    - diamond tipped blade (Bullit, etc)
    - carbide tipped blade (Chopper, Warthog... many options and styles)
    - aluminum oxide abrasive disc
    - sylicon carbide abrasive disc

This is what I was thinking. We are primarily using this saw for RIT. Our CuttersEdge can cut light metals and many other materials--in addition to wood. I figured it made sense to put a primarily metal cutting blade on the saw.

So... from my research it seems that the disc for the job would be an aluminum oxide type.

Thoughts/Suggestions/Concerns/Questions?
    Last edited by Resq14; 02-19-2004 at 01:07 AM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Default Re: Rotary Saw Blades

Originally posted by Resq14
    We are finalizing our RIT.

The options:
    - diamond tipped blade (Bullit, etc)
    - carbide tipped blade (Chopper, Warthog... many options and styles)
    - aluminum oxide abrasive disc
    - sylicon carbide abrasive disc

This is what I was thinking. We are primarily using this saw for RIT. Our CuttersEdge can cut light metals and many other materials--in addition to wood. I figured it made sense to put a primarily metal cutting blade on the saw.

Thoughts/Suggestions/Concerns/Questions?
    When my company is called as a FAST Truck we take both saws with us. We take our Cutters Edge which like you said cuts through just about anything, even some light metal, usually just metal flashing or something along those lines. However we also take our 14" rotary/ partner saw. I don't know too much about types of blades but I do know that on our partner saw we always keep a METAL cutting blade on it. This way we have our Cutters Edge to cut a normal roof or anything non-metalic. Then we have our partner for any heavy metal cutting such as rebar or locks or metal sheeted roofs. Note we take boths saws off of the rig no matter what type of occupancy, commercial or residential! You never know what your going to run into and as a FAST/RIT you may not always be able to quickly get to you peice of apparatus for your equipement so we always bring everything we could possibly need to the CP.

Tony,somewhere in one of the trade journals I saw a blade advertised that would work on metal and masonary.It wasn't as good as a dedicated blade but was made for just the job you're thinking of.As usual I can't find it but someone else may recall the item.T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

Some Stihl rotary saws are not intended for use with anything other than abrasive blades. Make sure what you can use before you buy an expensive set of blades. Your choices may be limited.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Yes I noticed that in the Owners Manual it stated that "rescue blades" were not to be used.

Interesting.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Go with the aluminum oxide blade. That is what we have on all our Partner saws. Normally you would use it for Forcible Entry on commercial occupancies. RIT can open up secondary access areas, cut security gates over windows etc...

Also when u are using your vent saw for RIT assignment i would take off the depth gauge. On our saw it is a wheel you can spin off easily, The reason to do that is you may want to make deeper cuts than the shallow cuts on a roof. For example cutting a window down to the floor from the ouside to make a larger opening to get someone out, you wouldnt want a depth gauge on your blade.

Also, and im sure you already know this, but dont store your blades in the same compartment with gasoline.
    Last edited by dfd3dfd3; 03-22-2004 at 10:23 AM.

To make it simple..one saw for wood and one saw for metal will usually do the job. Most of the times a FAST team in my city used a saw it was the K-12 W/ metal blade. Part of their job upon arrival is to provide secondary means of egress for interior crews.That includes opening padlocked doors(cut the locks),removing rear gates from commercial buildings, removing bars from windows,etc.Several years ago we had a FF out of air trapped at a warehouse window with heavy wire mesh about 8 feet up.It took a metal blade to remove the mesh.All turned out well..That's what we do,you have to do what fits for you.

Thread Information