Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Unhappy 3rd LODD this week

DIAMOND, Mo. — A Carthage firefighter died Wednesday afternoon while battling a fire that destroyed a popular country bar and restaurant a few miles north of Diamond.

Steve Fierro, 40, was one of four firefighters who entered the blazing Bronc Busters Restaurant and Lounge, 1630 Highway 59, in an attempt to suppress the flames, said Mark Garbet, chief of the Diamond Fire Department. Part of the roof of the metal building fell in about 10 minutes after they went through the front door, and only three emerged from the burning building.

None of the three who escaped was injured.

Diamond firefighters received the alarm at 1:25 p.m. and arrived a few minutes later to find the building in flames, Garbet said.

Officials have not determined the cause of the blaze, which is thought to have started in the southwest corner of the building. Three investigators with the Missouri Division of Fire Safety were on the scene Wednesday night, said Greg Hickman, Neosho fire chief.

Firefighters from a number of area departments assisted in battling the fire. They included those from Carthage, Duenweg, Granby, Neosho, Redings Mill and Sarcoxie. Officials from the Joplin and Carl Junction fire departments also responded.

Smoke was still pouring out of the building more than two hours after the fire was reported, and large chunks of the destroyed roof flapped in the wind. Muddy water ran through the gravel parking lot in front of the charred ruins, and a number of firetrucks and other emergency vehicles crowded the lot.

Firefighters tore down parts of the building so they could extinguish a few burning portions. Authorities waved away curious onlookers who slowed their cars as they drove past the smoking building. Some appeared to circle around to get another look at the scene.

Gary Roark, director of the Newton County Emergency Management Agency, shook his head as he noted seeing one motorist hold a camera out the window of a vehicle to capture a picture.

A handful of employees and patrons watched for hours from a lot across the street as fire crews extinguished the blaze in the building where those employees had been cooking food and serving customers just a few hours earlier.

Employees and other witnesses said no one was inside the building when firefighters arrived. The five customers and half-dozen employees had already vacated the building and moved their vehicles away from the area, and some questioned why firefighters entered the building when there was no one inside.

“If we didn’t go inside, people would ask why,” Garbet said. “We have to go inside to get (the fire) out.”

Bronc Busters had been in its current location about nine years, and previously was housed in a building farther south along Highway 59. The building had 4,000 to 5,000 square feet of floor space, Garbet said.

The restaurant is owned by Greg Gunn, and brothers Denny, Dewayne and Stan Bowman. When reached on his cell phone early Wednesday night, Stan Bowman declined to comment on the fire, saying fire inspectors told him not to discuss possible causes of the blaze.

The destruction of Bronc Busters marks one of the largest fires in Diamond’s recent history, Garbet said.

“Ordinarily, we just have our residential house fires,” he said. “We don’t usually have anything this large catch on fire

My thoughts are with the families and the Depts. Rest in peace brothers

Forum Member

God Bless our Brothers and their families.

ditto ..........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

May our brothers Rest in Peace and their families and fellow firefighters find comfort and peace in all that has happened.

However this is the 4th LODD this week they was a 45 y/o FF who died of a heart attack not too far from where I live.
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

Thread Information