Thread: Grant Writing

Question Grant Writing

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME INPUT? DOES IT PAY TO GET A GRANT WRITER TO WRITE YOUR GRANT APP.? I KNOW THAT THERE IS NOT ENOUGH MONEY TO GO AROUND,, BUT WE COULD SURE USE SOME OF IT. WE HAVE TRIED BEFORE WITH NO SUCESS AND SOMEONR MENTION THAT WE SHOULD GET A GRANT WRITER TO DO IT FOR US.
    JUST OUT BUSTING MINE TO SAVE YOURS

Forum Member

The best investment my fire company ever made was sending me to a grant writing class. It cost $500.00 and since then we have received over $125,000 in federal, state and local grants.

Nothing bad against writers but no one knows your fire company and their needs better than you. While a grant writer may be able to paint a pretty picture it might sound a little too cute, trite or worse yet, like every other grant they wrote that year. I think the peer review committee will be able to recognize it when they read the same narrative for the same need 3 or 4 times.

If you do use a "professional" make sure that the grant they write is exclusive to your company and your needs. Also you have to weigh the difference between a flat fee and a per-centage fee.

What about finding an english teacher from your local high school or college?

And not to pick on you but if you do send in your own narrative, don't write it in all capital letters. On the internet that means you're yelling!

Good luck.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

If you don't use a grant writer, try to get your hands on other grants written for oganizations. Your municipality, Water or sewage authorities, Police Departments, etc. They may have used a grant writer or similar professional. I found a copy of the application my Borough's water authority used to apply for a grant. It was written by their hired gun engineer, who wrote lots of grants. There was a lot of logistical information on our borough (75% of the population are either under 14 or over 65, etc.) that I was able to incorporate into my grant. I've received two grants since. You get their work without there price.

Thread Information