Default Summer jobs in Forestry Service...?

I'm 17 years old and I'm looking to get a job out west (I'm from PA) with the Forestry Service. I know I won't be able to do anything related with wildland firefighting until I'm 18 but are there any jobs available elsewhere? Any help is appriciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

Forum Member

Im having the same problem. Im 17 also and from idaho and looking for a summer job that deals with firefighting. You might want to look at NIFC (national interagency fire center) at www.nifc.gov. You could always call them up, im pretty sure they'd have some info. NIFC is located in Idaho but im not sure how far west you want to come.

Forum Member

Post 18 is only for Firefighting

You can work as a forestry aide/tech (just not firefighting), range aide/tech, recreation, biological aide/tech, etc.

Check on the fed land management agencies... US Forest Service, agencies in the Dept. of Interior - such as Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service, US Fish & Wildlife Service.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

Default job

I know DOF of Alaska has a program for guys your age. Im not sure if you have to live in state however. It is a good program, you do a lot of different things. If you want more information call 907-761-6300 and ask to talk to Nelson. He could tell you all the specifics. I think they only except 8 or so. Hope this helps.
    Burnman
    Burn<br />LT/EMT/Inst />Central Mat-Su FD<br />Wasilla Alaska

Thread Information