Smile Fighting Stress! I NEED YOUR IDEAS!!!

I am working with our local fire dept on a health and wellness program and would like to incorporate some programs to address stress. Does anyone have any good information or contacts to address the issue of FF stress. I would greatly appreciate any ideas and feedback to help these crews out! THANKS!!! Todd

Forum Member

Well off the top of my head there would be two general areas relating to stress that I would want to hit on if I were doing something like that. Those two areas would be to deal with critical incident stress and then deal with general stress.

For CISD: critical incident stress there is alot of information out there. In books, on the net, and if you have a regional CISD team. You could contact them for information. You could also go to a class to learn more about it so you could inturn train your dept on critical incident stress.

Secondly, you can deal with general everyday stress. CISD deals with that alil bit and how to deal with that stress, mainly through diet, exercise, etc... For this if you are near a university or college there would probably be someone there you could get in touch with who would help you out. Or possibly if your hospital has a corporate health dept. they might have some information and training available on dealing with everyday stress.

thanks for the great info. I will check on this! THANK YOU!

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Personally I like to go to the firing range for a few hours and blast a bunch of little holes in those evil paper targets. With shooting and cleaning the pistols and rifles, (AR-15s get DIRTY), I have lots of time to relax. It gives me time to focus on something else and helps me unwind.
    As for the rest of the Department? From what I've seen, drinking beer is a major destresser. Stop by Sams Club and get a couple of cases and take them home and ice them down really good. Then turn off your pager and start opening cans.
    Relax,
    Steve

Forum Member

I lift wieghts to relieve my day to day stress from college,girl friend,department crap etc.
    When its really bad and lifting wieghts still hasnt helped I dissapear into my work shop and train room for a day and just run my trains and tinker at my work bench.

For the real bad stuff I talk to my fellow department members and to my girl friend. The problem is though my gf isnt involved in public safety so she doesnt really understand sometimes.

That when my best friend courtney (co11firegal)comes in. She is a firefighter and is great to talk to......she understands and has seen similar stuff. We both have helped each other alot some nights just talking on the phone till sunrise.

I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Default Stress Busters

Here are some “Stress Busters”:

Take a piece of paper and draw a line down the center. On the left side, write down the stressors in your life that are inescapable. On the right side, list stressors you can escape. Just seeing and knowing things you have no control over reduces stress. Prioritize your escapable list.

What is a "Dream Team?" A "Dream Team" consists of spouses, partners, friends, relatives, customers, employees and vendors. When people are under stress, they tend to withdraw and try to do more themselves. They are heading in the wrong direction. With "Dream Team" members, you go forward to resolve problem situations. "Dream Team" members will support you and make your life easier. Place them in the major areas of your life: Emotions (spiritual), physical body (health), relationships, business/career, and finance and wealth. Focus your energies and your dream team to eliminate those stressors you can escape. You'll end up doing more of the things you want to do.

One of the big culprits caused by stress is people overdrawing their sleep banks. People who don't get enough sleep have lower productivity, more accidents, and are just grouchier folks. Some people don't know how it feels to be wide-awake or their old selves again. Americans are sleeping an average of 7 hours a night (a third sleep less than 6 hours) compared to 8.25 hours sleep experts say we need. Our bodies aren't fooled! You know you're not getting enough sleep if you fall asleep watching TV, in church, driving your car, at your desk, in a meeting or reading this article. Plug your dream team in to resolve your escapable stressors. You will get more sleep. "You know when you start feeling better when you think of homicide instead of suicide."

People who are constantly under stress wear down their immune systems, have more illnesses of all types and are constantly angry and confused. But a study done by the University of Washington showed those people who maintained an active aerobic physical fitness program were virtually unaffected by health problems caused by stress. Their minds were redirected and produced wonderful endorphins. This can't happen if you're a couch or computer mouse potato.

A good, healthy, stress free life depends on good thoughts. If you are a born pessimist, seeing everything as black, you will poison yourself and your relationships. No one wants to be with a living, black, negative cartoon. This is a bad habit you can change by your attitude. Attitude is such a small thing that can make such a huge difference. Attitude is your rudder through life. Practice not being negative for five minutes. Then, double the time. Keep doubling it until you break the habit. If you fail, start over. Once you can do this for twenty one days, your subconscious will be reprogrammed. You won't die! "Water a drop at a time will eventually float a whale."

“Most people don’t change because they see the light . . . They usually feel the heat!”

Captain Bob, Author
    Eat Stress For Breakfast

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Let's see...
    Wife doesn't talk to me much anymore.
    Kids are all grown.
    Hate my regular job.
    Feel lousy most of the time.

Hell, I find a burning house or an MVA the only things
    that DON'T stress me!

exercise helps ALOT! lifting weights or running helps.
    also taebo and yoga helps stress and gives a ton of energy for the day. yes drinkin helps but only for awhile. talkin to people who understand can help the most, its really nice to have someone that is involved with fire service to blow off steam to.

Permanently Removed

Default This one is easy...

Easy-

#1. Get a flight at www.southwest.com

#2. Go to www.vegas.com

Stress? Gone.

Thread Information