Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Class A Foam -- Thumbs up or down?

Hi all. I'm hoping somebody out there has some opinions regarding using class A foam on structure and/or vehicle fires. We just took delivery of 2 E-One Quints with integrated class A foam tanks but we've never used class A foam. The only time I've used foam was for petroleum spills but that was AFFF class B foam.

Is there anybody using class A foam on a regular basis? How do you like it? What kind of situations do you find it most useful and what kind of tactics do you use?

I look forward to your opinions.

Thanks

We have class A systems on both of our E-Ones. It is mainly used for vehicle fires. Have not used on structure attack, but we have used it in overhaul. Also, this past Thanksgiving we used the foam to douse our town bonfire.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Use it!

We have used Class A for interior structural attack several times now. I think you will see a faster knockdown. We like it.

We use concentrations of .2% - .5% most of the time.
    As far as tactics, we use it same as straight water, just need less. No need to keep soaking things over. Give it a good coating then wait a while. Chances are you will not need another soaking. We use both Akron Turbo-Jets and Vindicators for nozzles.

Stay Safe.
    Last edited by TriTownship600; 02-22-2004 at 09:38 PM.

Thumbs up

I dont know what costs are involved with equipping an engine with a system like that but, you will see an amazing difference in knockdown speed. We use it any time we use a hoseline to make an attack. It's a very simple system- push the button on the control and charge the line.
    Last edited by Hobbitt; 02-23-2004 at 10:13 AM.
    Marc S.
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Solon Local 2079

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll talk this over a bit more with the captain and see if we can get some foam to train with and then see about writing some SOGs for its use.

Thanks again.
    Lt. Don Hill
    Griffith Fire Dept.
    Griffith, IN

MembersZone Subscriber

Lt.,

Definate thumbs up for use on structures and vehicles. I don't use it on my department but have seen it used many times and I deal with departments that use it all the time.

Now the thumbs down side of it is the cost. My guesstimate would be there is a substantial cost that is involved.

For the guys that use it. How much foam would be used on a typical room and contents?

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile How Much

For a typical room and contents fires we would set the mix at about 1/2% or 1 gallon of foam concentrate per 200 gallons of water. We pay about $75.00 for a 5 gallon pail of concentrate.

Say about $15.00 - $20.00 for a bedroom fire?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

We use it on all fires, vehicle, structural, wildland. The knockdown power and the ability to put the fire out quicker is great. We put an ordinance in to be reimbursed for all consumables like foam. 99% of insurance companies have at least some amount for fire department service charge. It is safer for firefighters, less water damage and does not cost us anything.

Just spec'd a new truck and included a Foam Pro system on it, so one button and the handlines are charged to the correct %. Used to use an enductor that was pre-connected to a rear 2 inch handline and bolted to the rear bumber. SOP was for pump operator to charge line (if needed) and then put enductor in pail of foam.

Strongly suggest it.

Thumbs up

I give Class A Foam, just the whole C.A.F. system a big thumbs up.

We have a first due Freightliner engine with that system on it, and it has done wonders for the length and ease at which we fight our fires.

It gets used on everything. TriTownship has the use down just about for our department as well I believe.
    IACOJ

Thread Information