Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default 3 FFs injured in flashover at Sauders in Archbold

Dust Explosion & Fire At Sauder Woodworking

ARCHBOLD -- There has been fire at the Sauder Woodworking factory which started at approximately 10:50 am. The fire began in the dust handling system and while battling that fire there was a flash over.

The accident happened at one of the facilities on Sauder Street. Reports say that three firefighters were injured. Their names have not been released pending notification of relatives.

All employees at that facility have been evacuated and there have been no other injuries. At this time, operations continue at the other plants. Sauder Woodworking employees about 3,000 people.

News 11 has a crew on the way to the scene. We will have more information as it becomes available.

Posted 2/20/2004, 1:25 pm LAH

I believe Life Flight flew 1 Firefighter to St., Vincents with burns (poss. respiratory) and the other two were transported to a Fulton County.

Our thoughts are with you, brothers........

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Curious

It sounds like Archbold did a good job, other than the firefighters getting hurt, which is hard to swallow. My question though is this, what is the difference between a flashover & a backdraft. It sounds to me like it was a backdraft. You have to have high heat that will ignite everything to have a flashover. Second, who the f#$(! let the mayor comment on things. The mayors quote was that their was no life threatening injuries, though he is in SERIOUS condition? Politicians need to stay in their office & let the professionals handle the media.

I don't believe it was either a flashover or a backdraft, from talking to others with inside info. Everything didn't ignite like you would see in a flashover and it I don't believe it was "explosive" like a backdraft. As far as his condition, I believe he is only going to be in the hospital for another couple days. I guess he is doing very well. I know from watching the interview with a LT from Archbold he was calling it a dust explosion.........

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a similar system where I work except the dust being removed is from an electric arc furnace used for melting steel

All the media reports have said they were opening up an access hatch to look for the fire when it blew out at them. Sounds like an air (oxygen) driven event to me rather than a heat driven flashover.

Would the rapid fire growth also have something to do with sawdust being so easily ignitable?

Not questioning any tactics used, just looking for lessons learned. I hope the reports of him getting out of the hospital in a few days are true. Get well soon Brother!
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Unless something takes a tragic turn for the worse, I believe he will be released then. Gotta watch out for HIPPA if you know what I mean.....

MembersZone Subscriber PFD109NFD107's Avatar

The channel 11 news reported this afternoon that the injured FF will be released from St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center tomorrow.

Thanks for the update, PFD..........

Thread Information