Forum Member

Post Fire at Sauders Woodworking in NW OH sends 3 FFs to the hospital after Flashover

Dust Explosion & Fire At Sauder Woodworking

ARCHBOLD -- There has been fire at the Sauder Woodworking factory which started at approximately 10:50 am. The fire began in the dust handling system and while battling that fire there was a flash over.

The accident happened at one of the facilities on Sauder Street. Reports say that three firefighters were injured. Their names have not been released pending notification of relatives.

All employees at that facility have been evacuated and there have been no other injuries. At this time, operations continue at the other plants. Sauder Woodworking employees about 3,000 people.

News 11 has a crew on the way to the scene. We will have more information as it becomes available.

Posted 2/20/2004, 1:25 pm LAH

I believe one FF was flown to St. Vincent's Mercy Medical Center in Toledo, OH by Life Flight with burns (poss. respiratory) and the other two were taken to a Fulton County hospital.

Our thoughts are with you, brothers......

Forum Member

that cant be good ................
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

That's what I tried to tell you on the phone earlier...

Forum Member

sorry..........was goin on that call and oculdnt hear ya .........I will be talkin to ya I am sure ......who called off ?
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Forum Member

who called off
    H.E. called off. M.D. took it.........

MembersZone Subscriber

Caught a little of this on the news, the Archbold brother flown to V's has 2nd & 3rd degree burns to his extremities but is expected to be released in a few days. The other 2 were treated and released.

The fire was in the baghouse fans that remove sawdust during manufacturing. They were opening up the ductwork when the fire blew out at them. Sounds more like a possible back draft than a flashover.

A real close call, glad it wasn't more serious.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

will try and catch the 2300 news about it.......thanks for the info all.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...210143/-1/NEWS

Sauder plant blaze injures 3 firefighters
    Fire leaps from pipe containing sawdust
    By STEVE MURPHY
    BLADE STAFF WRITER

ARCHBOLD, Ohio - Three Archbold firefighters were hurt yesterday, one critically, when flames exploded from a sawdust-collection pipe inside a Sauder Woodworking Co. furniture production plant.

The fire, which was contained inside the dust-collection system at the factory on Sauder Street, flared about 11:15 a.m. when fire crews searching for the blaze pulled apart two sections of the pipe along the building’s ceiling, Lt. Todd Grisier said. "Once it opened up, air was exposed to it ... and there was a reaction," Lieutenant Grisier said.

Damage to the plant was minimal, said Kevin Sauder, the company’s president and chief executive officer. Fire officials did not have a damage estimate yesterday.

Carl Hamilton, an 8 1/2-year veteran of the Archbold-German Township Fire Department, suffered second and third-degree burns on his face, Archbold Mayor Jim Wyse said. Mr. Hamilton was taken by helicopter to St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center, where he was in critical condition last night.

Mayor Wyse said Mr. Hamilton’s injuries were not considered life-threatening, and he was expected to be hospitalized for three or four days. "His treatment and progress are going well," the mayor said.

Two other firefighters, Jamie Wyse and Lee Sauder, were treated at the Fulton County Health Center in Wauseon for minor injuries.

Mr. Wyse, a 2 1/2-year veteran, and Mr. Sauder, an Archbold firefighter for 34 years, returned to the plant after being released, Lieutenant Grisier said.

"They did go back to the scene to check on things, because in a small department, we’re all together," he said.

Kevin Sauder praised the emergency crews for their handling of the blaze.

"They’re a dedicated group of firefighters here in Archbold," he said.

The company official said the blaze occurred in the plant’s panel and frame door machining area. Thirty to 40 employees were in the area when the factory’s fire detection and suppression system went off at 10:51 a.m., sounding an alarm and summoning firefighters.

About 200 employees were at work in the plant, a one-story building with about 600,000 square feet, when the fire broke out. All were evacuated and sent home, Mr. Sauder said.

Second-shift employees at the plant were told to report for work as usual yesterday afternoon. Those who work in the area affected by the blaze were shifted to other tasks.

Mr. Sauder said he expected production to resume as normal tomorrow night, when the next shift is scheduled.

The plant is one of four Sauder Woodworking facilities in Archbold that produce ready-to-assemble furniture made from fiber board and particle board, Mr. Sauder said.

The fire apparently started when sparks from a molding machine, used to round rectangular pieces of board, "got up into the dust collection system," the company official said.

Lieutenant Grisier said the Archbold-German Township Fire Department asked the state fire marshal’s office to investigate the blaze, which is considered accidental, "to help us assess and see if we could have done anything differently."

Firefighters from Wauseon and Ridgeville Township, in Henry County, also responded to the fire. Late yesterday afternoon, crews remained on the scene, removing sawdust from a silo behind the plant.

"Right now, they’re still trying to seek out any hot spots," Lieutenant Grisier said.

Sauder Woodworking employs about 3,700 people in Archbold. It is one of the nation’s largest furniture makers, with annual sales of about $700 million.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Thread Information