If my Lt. says I can't have a flashlight, I'm going to use a candle.

Forum Member

Originally posted by hogbreath
    If my Lt. says I can't have a flashlight, I'm going to use a candle.
    Then some over anxious nozzleman attempts to put you out!
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Talking

...when the "engine guys" put the fire out in a vacant building at 3am the lights go out too so maybe they could also use a light.If your officer won't let you have a light, maybe it's time for a new officer.Tell him you'll only use it when it's dark.

Forum Member

I make sure I take a flashlight whenever I get off a truck. Actually I have a survivor on my coat and a Garrity on my helmet. I'm not going to get caught without a flashlight. It should be on your riding assignment tool list. Allot of guys forget a flashlight is a tool. As for your question my department went with Advanced Lighting Corp. lights on our trucks when they replaced the old carpenter lights some years ago. I haven't had or heard of many problems with them. The biggest problems when we first received them were the charger breaking and guys loosing the straps. Since then the chargers are built better and straps don't fall off as easy. Even if you don't have or loose the strap you can hang it on your SCBA waist strap. Just slide the waist strap through the flashlight handle and buckle it.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

Hows about a wheat light ? or those god ol' Kholer's ? ....what do you think '77 ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I know where you can get a wheat light!

MembersZone Subscriber

I know one engine Lt that would toss the thing into the fire if you used it on a job.
    And who would that be Shawn?

While I advocate every firefighter having a light I do not advocate their over use. When I enter the fire area I use the light to get the best floor layout possible, after that I "ask" everyone to turn the lights off. At this point I can get a good look into the smoke and identify the seat of the fire. It equates to driving in the fog with your high beams on, all you see is the reflected light. In a fire, that reflected light obscures the radiated light of the fire.

Be assured, the firefighters in the room who are not used to working with me, no doubt, scratch their heads when they hear me announce, "turn off all the flashlights". When I get lucky and all the lights go dim, we all get a good look at what we're up against and I'm sure a lot of those members put this in their back pocket for future fires.

Forum Member

Default I've tried several....

...so far my favorite is the Pelican Super Sabrelight. I have one one each of my coats. Mag lights are great but there's no real good way to attach them to your coat. The helmet mount for the mini mag is ok but kind of awkward to use. I "rube goldberged" something for my old 660 metro and a small coleman 2aa light that worked better. I'm thinking of getting a Streamlight Syclone for my 1010. Any opinions good or bad on those?
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Anything found in my posts is soley my opinion and not representative of any other individual or entity.

You know that thing inside your helmet? Use it wisely and you'll be just fine.

MembersZone Subscriber

Best place I have found for all kinds of brands for a decent price.

www.brightguy.com

That's where I buy all my stuff.

Keep your head down and your powder dry.

Forum Member

very fast and reputabnle place to do lighting business !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information