Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking For a Flashlight

I an looking to purchase a good light any suggestions?

Surefire all the way. You can pick up a Surefire G2 for $28 bucks from www.tadgear.com and blow all other flashlights costing twice or even three times as much money. You can also get a dozen batteries for $15 bucks at Tadgear or www.surefire.com .

I have a 3C responder, the non-recharge kind. I canít see spending 100 bucks for a NiCad pack and charger. As much as I use it, the alkalines are a much more economical choice. I recently bought a second one after loosing my first one at a party (donít ask).

Check out e-bay. I got mine cheaper there than galls or darley.

Originally posted by ffexpCP
    I recently bought a second one after loosing my first one at a party (donít ask)

I'm askin' LOL
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

Well of course when you say dont ask we are gonna ask!! lol So come on lets hear it!!
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Default Here we go again...

Ok, for firefighting, I like the Pelican line.
    www.pelican.com. They have a LIFETIME
    warranty and are extreamly durible. I have used
    the LTW once and they sent me a new light, no Qs
    asked.

For home use, I have a couple of Streamlights.
    Again, long lasting but I dont think there is a
    lifetime warranty.

You can LOTS of these lights on (new and used)
    www.ebay.com and sometimes CHEAP!

Hope that helps...Bou

MembersZone Subscriber

Maglites are gooood. I lost mine off of the back of the truck doing 60 down the highway. Luckily I had it wrapped with reflective tape, or I would not have found it. The only thing that happened to it was a broken bulb. They also make a helmet mount for the 2 AA mini-mag. Have also used stealthlight in the past, but helmet mount can be a pain in the rear.

MembersZone Subscriber CFD Hazards's Avatar

I recently bought a FD light from Advanced Lighting. It is one of the ones with a strap that go over your shoulder. It is bright as hell and I love it.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Streamlight xl-90. I have 2 of them, one on my volly coat and one on my career FD coat. I have been using them for over 10 years and they have held up great. They are one hour recharge.

The new ones are available with a 2 port charging station so your can have a spare battery always charged up.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

IMHO, stay away from those new LED flashlights. My department was given a couple of them to try out, and we found that, although they appear to be bright if you look at the business end of them, they don't throw much of a beam. I agree that the Pelican lights are pretty good, as are the Maglights and Streamlights. The Maglights, however, normally do not come with a loop to hang the light on the turnout coat.

Thanks guys
    I was more looking for the over the shoulder light with the strap Like the FD-1 from advanced lighting, andy more tips would be great
    Thanks
    TP

I've got a Pelican Stealthlite mounted on my helmet and a Streamlight 3C ProPolymer in my turnout pants. Both I bought for the specific reason that I HATE flashlights you turn on by twisting the bulb assembly. The Stealthlite has a nice narrow cross-section (uses 4 AAs instead of Cs) and a side-mounted switch, so it works well for a helmet mount. The Streamlight has a push-button endcap that's easy to use with gloves on and a clip, so I can clip it in the pocket of my turnout pants and find it easily. Both put out plenty of light.

I also have a Streamlight Trident headlamp on my brush helmet. It has both an incandescant bulb and 3 LEDs, and you can select bulb, 1 LED or all 3 LEDs.

Forum Member

Get the Advanced light (FD1 I think) It can clearly light up a window on the top floors of a 20 story project. Excellent lights.

I have a Streamlight Poly Stinger ........and love it ...also have a "D" cell mag light that has been great. A couple of our boys got the new Streamlight Vulcans (I think that what they are called) and as much as I was bitchin about them .......they are kinds nice.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

I am using a 4C Big Ed light now, its been a good light so far but I've only had it about 9 months. Had a helmet mounted 4aa Stealthlight for a while before that, that was also a good light until the front of it got a little melted at a structure fire, it still worked I just couldn't get it open to change the batteries.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death."

Gen. Omar Bradley

Forum Member

Default i have the older survivor

tom i have the survivor by streamlight and ihave it clipped to my turnout coat...provides enough light for most situations...no complaints so far

Tom,
    You're on the right track. Every good FDNY truckie has a AL5000 Nightsaber . You'll find it at www.alcorp.com Trust me on this.
    Get the strap too.

Dano
    Last edited by hogbreath; 02-22-2004 at 09:55 PM.

Lightbulb

I have used most type of flashlights that have ever been on the market. I still have the first one, an old ray-o-vac 2 D cell flash light. It is in my FD collection and it still works too. I have and still use the larger rechargable hand light as as the light box. I have a favorite that I have in my coat and use most all the time. It is a Responder by Koehler. It uses three C cell batteries and last pretty good. This is all depending on how long you keep it on. It is not rechargeable, but that doesn't really matter to me, since the department furnishes the batteries. I have several more of them, one in each of my personal vehicles and two at home. One for up stairs and one for down stairs.

I don't think they are that expensive. Most fire equipment dealers carry them. I know that Galls does.

Pray for our injured members.

Stay Safe and Well out there....

MembersZone Subscriber Wildman51's Avatar

Default LED?

Iím in the market as well and am considering a 3C,
    10 LED light Ė suggested to have a run time of 336 hours. Anyone have any experience with these multi-bulb LED lights?
    WILD MAN
    www.whitehorsecombat.com
    "Toughest two minutes in sports!"
    If you want to be hard - you have to train hard!

Cool

I've used a light from Advanced Lighting(alcorp.com ) for over 10 yrs and really beat the S"iT out of it in all kinds of weather and fire conditions from private dwellings to a large warehouse where other guys with K-Mart lights would follow me to keep from getting lost.It has a bright powerful beam.Sure it costs more,but I think I'm worth more than 15 bucks.Whether you wear it over the shoulder or around your waist,get a strap.A helmet light is..ok,but if someone needs some light while pulling a ceiling you have to face up,not down.

Thread Information