Forum Member

Default Any Boston Truckies?

I am looking for some input from Boston truckies on their E1 110' Aluminum Ladder Trucks (L23 for example). My interest lies in its manoueverability, its versatility as a truck, and its comparison to the larger steel aerials used on the job in Boston. Our department is purchasing 3 - 4 new aerials in the near future and are weighing the options of several different designs. The majority of our aerials are 100' Smeal ladders on E1 or Pierce chassis.

Our city is a young city by comparison and it seems our residential streets are getting narrower and narrower. The larger trucks (the Bronto and the Ladder Tower) are having difficulty navigating through some new residential neighborhoods. Although it may seem a stupid question, is the 110' E1 much more manoueverable? Is any stability, versatility, or function compromised as compared to the typical 100' steel ladders on tandem chassis? What are your general thoughts? I am very interested.

MembersZone Subscriber

oldarffer,
    All our trucks are the same, why Ladder 23? Winter can be tough getting around, but they always seems to get the front of the building one way or another. As for steel Vs Aluminum, couldnt tell you. Our ladders are all Aluminum, and the work fine.

Forum Member

My FD has 2 E-One 110 foot rear mount aerials (a 1983 on a Pemfab chassis, the other a 2001 on a E-One Hurricane chassis). Both have served us well.

An advantage of the E-One is their hydraulic jack system. It comes out from under the chassis and body and the jack spread allows you you set up just about anywhere.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 02-22-2004 at 11:16 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I like driving our 1989 E-One 110' RMA. It has a single rear axle and seems to handle the tight areas in our community well. As Gonzo said the short jack spread and the angle they deploy makes set up in narrow areas much easier then our quint with out-and-downs. The one disadvantage I have found is that the distance from the rear axle to the rear step makes bottoming out a little more of an issue on some of our steep graded street. As far as stability I believe our 110' aluminum ladder is more sturdy FEELING and has less bounce and sway then our steel quint. The truck handles well in the snow but we also put chains on the rearend when expecting deep snow over a short period.
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Forum Member

All our trucks are the same, why Ladder 23?
    Cause ladder 23 engine 24 is the best house! I visted there a few times cause my friends uncle is the senior jake on L23.............there is more crust in there than in a bread bakery!
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

One tip I got about e-ones jack spread is that if you open the cabinet doors------thats your jack spread.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

We use a 110' rear mount single axle - different from BFD in that it's pre-piped. But it handles/sets up great, feels stable and has been very reliable.

Forum Member

Thanks for the input fellas. Muchly appreciated. The only reason I picked Ladder 23 is that it is the only single axled ladder shown on the department website.

Forum Member

Originally posted by stm4710
    One tip I got about e-ones jack spread is that if you open the cabinet doors------thats your jack spread.
    Maybe if you short jack the truck, but I don't know how true that is stm4710, my company operates an E-one 100' rear mount with the "scissor" jacks that are very short, but I don't know if they are that short. I'll have to look into it, you may be right, but for some reason I always remember our jacks coming out a bit further than our compartment doors. I"m gonna look into that one!!

Thread Information