Thread: 12 hour shifts

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 12 hour shifts

I work at a small fire dept in north florida. we have a total of seven paid people. A chief, captain, and inspector who work M-F 8 to 5 and four firemen that work a rotating 12 hour shift. The good part is we have 4 people here most of the time during 8-5 M-F, the bad part is after 5pm until 8am on weekdays and all weekend long there is only one fireman on duty. We have to rely heavily on off duty and volunteers for every call practically. We are averaging almost 500 calls a year now and that does seem to decreasing anytime soon. My question is is there anyone else out there that has the same amount of people but does it differently? The shift firemen work two weeks of day shifts then two weeks of nights, rotating every two weeks. I'm the one on duty today and if a structure fire call came in right now I can't leave the station until at least one other person gets here to go with me. Just like to know if anyone has any ideas for me.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death."

Gen. Omar Bradley

Temporarily/No Longer Active

It makes no sense to me to have a paid man sitting by himself at the station and he can't roll a truck until a second person arrives. I am part of a simular department in Louisiana. We often work just 1 FF during a 12 hour shift. If the pager goes off then that FF will roll in the first out truck, no waiting. Volunteers responding to the call will meet the truck at the scene and work the call. If volunteers respond and pass the station they pull in and pick up any other truck still in the bays. If there are 2 FFs working a shift then 2 trucks will roll. The whole point of having the paid guys at the station is to speed up responce time of the first out truck compared to waiting on vollies to respond from home to the station.

Forum Member

We also work 12 hour shift we have seven full time people that work 7 A.M. Sunday thur 7 A.M. Saturday then part time drivers work a 24 hour shift. We do three month of night and three of days then one month as the person that fill's in for sick leave and vacation's. When a call comes in we take the truck and head to the scene and are meet by the vol. fire man.
    Last edited by ffbaer; 02-23-2004 at 11:21 PM.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

That's a tough situation. We have 7 full timers plus the Chief. We work three shifts 24 on 48 off. The extra man is a daytime FF 7-5. This works out OK cause most calls are during the day. We don't really have any vollies that show up anymore so we pretty much know what we're gonna get.
    If you get a couple more you can go to 24s. But with only 4 FFs you're kinda stuck. And yeah, 1 guy at the station is kinda useless IMHO. Our 2 at night isn't much better but we don't wait to roll (we'd be sitting there for a while )
    Last edited by GrovFire25; 02-27-2004 at 10:29 AM.

Forum Member

It is my understanding that after amalgamation Halifax did something similar with some of the outlying volunteer stations that it inherited i.e. putting one career firefighter in each station to drive 24/7. I'm not sure what shift they work, but I would imagine its either 24's or 10/14
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hours/Staffing

We are a combo dept. We have paid man 24/7 working 10 hour or 14 hour shifts. Call comes in paid man takes first due to scene. Members (volunteer and paid recalls) go either to scene or firehouse to drive other apparatus.

I agree with prior posting, it is nuts to have paid driver wait...seconds do count!

Forum Member

Default Need more Personnel

I too work as one of five Career Members of a Volunteer Fire Co. in Northern Delaware. We are mainly responsible for manning the BLS Unit from 6am to Mid-Night and we'll staff the fire apparatus when it is short of volunteers or on any known "Working Alarm" - We simply "By-Pass" our BLS Unit with the Communications Center. We have two on from 6am to 6pm all seven days {Work a 4 on 4 off rotation} I am on from 4pm to 12am Mon. to Fri. I have no Partener Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. We utilize Part Time Employees On Friday, Saturday, and Sunday after 6pm. The Volunteers only make EMS Responses from Mid-Night to 6am. - Wednesday Evening is the Volunteer Work/Drill Night so I'll usualy get a driver or an EMT...Maybe -

Problem here is no one wants to be involved with the Ambulance {They might miss the big 'ol Barn Burner} god-forbid.

We're running over 1200 EMS per year and maybe 750 fire - Ambulance makes the $$$$$ for the Fire Co. but none of 'em want to work for it - Which I'm not complaining at least I have a job out of it but beleive me when the Ambulance doesn't get out or if I'm on a Fire Truck because of low manning oh man the complaints I hear.....

The area I work in has 21 Strong volunteer companies all with paid staff day and night {Yeah you guessed it for EMS - but we cheat and ride the Engines too} so I don't think we'll ever see a Career Department but maybe more people in the stations would be a nice X-Mas gift....Ha Ha Right

MembersZone Subscriber

Hummmm. My station has 3 full time and 37 volunteer we run 1500+ calls a year. We have a residents quarters for 7 volunteers. Chief works M-F 7-5 first paid guy comes in at 6 a.m. and works till 2 p.m. second paid guy comes in at 10 a.m. and works until 6 p.m. both M-F. Our residence program cover the night time as follows.

2 volunteers come on at 6 p.m. as well as a volunteer officer. All 3 work until 6 a.m. the following morning M-F. On the weekends 3 volunteers 2-FF and an Officer work 24hr shifts and all major city holidays. Rotation for residence programs is rooms 1-2 first night then rooms 2-3 then 3-4 and so on. Our residence members live at the station all the time most are college students working for a degree in the fire service.

See when the most calls are ran for your dept. what hours and what days. how many sleeping rooms do you have? how many volunteers?

Idea! don't know if it will work but what the heck. Most volunteers work m-f 8-5 and have the weekends off right? If you can have the volunteers sign up for station shifts to cover the night time calls and weekend calls with your other fulltime guy. Not knowing the area,response type, or members it seems to me that most people would like to pull shifts to get more time on the job, looks good on a resume if their looking to advance to.

we work rotating 12 hour shifts 7-7, 4 crews consisting of 8 people on each crew, one crew on at all times with call backs if needed. This scedules allows us to have one week off a month.

Forum Member

Just out of curiosity Fyrgrunt, where do you work? I work for one of the smalelr stations in Alachua County. We have 6 full time people at our station on 24/48 schedules. Volunteers supply the manpower for fire calls and some of the bad medical calls.
    IAFF - Fire/EMS

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm on a volunteer department, but I work full time as a 911 dispatcher. We work a 12hr shift. When we are fully staffed you work three 12 hr shifts and every third week you work a 4th shifr. That evens it out to 40hrs a week. We have to put it on our time cards as a three way trade. One person works for the other two, and then they switch.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default coldfire

I work for the City of Madison Fire Rescue, we are the only paid department in the county, the rest of the county is all volunteer. We don't do EMS other than extrication or lifting assistance, so far.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death."

Gen. Omar Bradley

Thread Information