MembersZone Subscriber

Question Fire Company vs Fire Department

I would like to hear other oraganizations ideas as to calling yourself a company or a department. Does it really matter?

Thanks

Forum Member

Not to me it don't. As long as your there when the public requires assistance thats all that really matters.

Forum Member

I always understood that a company is a smaller division within a department...........

Forum Member

A company is a unit within an engine house, then these engine house units are within a batallion or district. The combination of these is a department.

My priorities and loyalties have 4 levels. First is my company, second my engine house (Engine and Squad), third my Batallion and last but not least the department. I have a lot of pride in my department but my company will still be first and foremost.
    Last edited by FireLt1951; 02-22-2004 at 07:40 PM.

Forum Member

Originally posted by FireLt1951
    My priorities and loyalties have 4 levels. First is my company, second my engine house (Engine and Squad), third my Batallion and last but not least the department.
    That's was my thinking, too/..........

Forum Member

I have heard of those 2 things, a company is usually a unit in a station in a big city or of volly or POC a separate actual VFD within a community, and these are ones I dont understand why you have XYZ Hook and Ladder assited by Citizens Hose Co #7 etc etc and they are in the same town...............why arent they all the "Someones Twp or Village or City department"? I just dont get it ..........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Weruj1
    I have heard of those 2 things, a company is usually a unit in a station in a big city or of volly or POC a separate actual VFD within a community, and these are ones I dont understand why you have XYZ Hook and Ladder assited by Citizens Hose Co #7 etc etc and they are in the same town...............why arent they all the "Someones Twp or Village or City department"? I just dont get it ..........
    Hundreds of years of tradition unimpeded by progress.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

the 4-1-4

In my little corner of the world we use both terms to describe ourselves. We are all members of our fire department, however we belong to companies. In my department a company is defined as a vehicle that actively participates in fire suppression. Meaning that pumping apparatus are engine companies, and aerial devices are ladder companies so on and so forth, all companies are part of the fire department. This also means that ambulances, paramedic units and chief's buggies are not companies, as they do not actively participate in actual fire suppresion activities. Med units etc... are referred to as units. Hope this answer helps you out.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Cool Where Do You Want To Go Today?..............

Here in downtown Maryland, Nobody cares. Call your organization whatever you want to call it. Company, Department, Association, Brigade, Squad, you name it, we got it. And that's it.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Formal usage: We're always a company, and that's our incorporated name (Mortlake Fire Company of Brooklyn, Connecticut, Incorporated is the full legal name). We're pretty anal about making sure documents, stencils, newsletters, etc always say MFC and Mortlake Fire Company and never use MFD or Mortlake Fire Department.

Practical usage: You knock on the door and yell, "Fire Department" 'cause that's what the public expects.

-----
    First 15 years or so of our existence, we didn't have a "Chief" -- the highest officer was the Captain. That was common in the other small volunteer companies in my area founded in the 1920s/30s followed that convention until laws started to refer to a "Fire Chief" and they changed their verbiage to fall in line with that. The Ambulance Corps in our area continue that model, with the Captain being the highest officer.

We're not a "Department" of anything we're an incorporated organization that, in some of it's activities, serves as a public agency.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

We have 2 companies in town, together they make up 1 department.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dept, Company,Association??

Heh, Heh,

"The Glenn Dale Volunteer Fire ASSociation, a Volunteer Fire Department." I like the way it's painted on the Apparatus,Glenn Dale Vol. Fire ASSN.

I have never been a member of an Organization that was anything other than a Volunteer Fire Department. Although some of the older guys at Kentland referred to it as the Kentland Vol. Fire Co. and I think thier webpage says the same.

One of our more EMS loving folks tried to change the name of our department to "Clinton Volunteer Fire and EMS Department Inc." that got shot down pretty quickly.

Forum Member

For the Vollie service:

A company means you're incorporated as Dal said. Technically speaking, your name would be the Anytown Fire Company or Anytown Volunteer Fire Company...(etc..you get the picture). Your name would not be the Anytown Fire Company, Inc. By using "company" you are identifying yourself as incorporated...using them together would be a redundancy.

If you are an "Association"...it has been recommended to become a company. The example I was given by our attorney is this... If an association purchases a piece of equipment and said equipment is used improperly, thus causing harm and damage to others...then not only is the association responsible for damages, but each MEMBER is individually responsible. If you are a company then the corporation is held responsible, not each individual member.

This is what I've been told.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

MembersZone Subscriber

In Ohio, Pa, and other states a FIRE COMPANY is/can be a privately owned fire department that gets its money by contract or subscription vs the direct tax that a FIRE DEPARTMENT gets.

Private Fire Companies can be tax exempted under IRS 501c4.

I believe, from reading I've done, that the private fire company is more prevalent in PA than in other states. I'm sure if I'm wrong, people will let me know.

If you read the program guidance for the FEMA grants, I believe that it excludes private fire companies.

Factory fire departments/brigades are also often listed as fire companies.

Forum Member

Typically, the fire department is just one of several other departments in a municipality, such as the water department, the sewer department, the police department, the recreation department, and so on. The word "department" signifies a section of a larger system. The word "company" can also do this, or it can be taken to mean an independent organization, which many volunteer units are, in essence.

Default company vs department

at my station we call our entire orginazation the fire department, we identify members (for voting,meetings and etc...) that run calls as the fire company.
    JUST OUT BUSTING MINE TO SAVE YOURS

Forum Member

You forgot one. Fire District.

Dave
    Pinellas Suncoast Fire & Rescue District

MembersZone Subscriber

A company is the firefighters assigned to an apparatus. An engine company is the the firefighters assigned to an engine. A truck company the same. Some have squad companies. A fire department is the whole group of trucks, engines, houses, command and financial structure.

Forum Member

"You forgot one. Fire District", - of course there is then "rural fire district", "fire protection district" etc. Not to mention Anytown "Fire Rescue" or "Fire and Rescue". - Peter.

Default my volly depart has 4 companies

Originally posted by Weruj1
    my department has 4 companies
    it has been like this for years.we work together at fires,fund raisers,we vote for all our chiefs together but we have our own moneyand meetings. but evry month we have a joint meeting to discuss department business and then we have our company meetings after that.

engine44
    clyde fire dept
    everready hose co #2

MembersZone Subscriber

Ohio revised code, from andersons online docs

9.60. Fire protection or emergency medical services under contract or upon approval and authorization.

(2) "Fire protection" means the use of firefighting equipment by the fire department of a firefighting agency or a private fire company, and includes the provision of ambulance, emergency medical, and rescue services by those entities.

5)"Private fire company" means a nonprofit group or organization owning and operating firefighting equipment not controlled by a firefighting agency.

5(F) A private fire company or private, nonprofit emergency medical service organization providing service pursuant to this section to a governmental entity in this state or another jurisdiction has the same immunities and defenses in a civil action that a political subdivision has under section 2744.02 of the Revised Code. The employees of such a fire company or emergency medical service organization have the same immunities and defenses in a civil action that employees of a political subdivision have under section 2744.03 of the Revised Code

So technically speaking, in Ohio a Fire Company is a privately owned fire department.

Forum Member

Maybe we should tell the brothers and sisters this in Cleavland, where the are going under because of the city is in financial trouble. They laid off something like 50 people last year. :-(

Over here in my neck of the woods, a company, is the company or companies having members so assigned on a daily schedule and assigned to a fire station. A department is the whole thing or group of fire companies, battalions, divisions operating in the city or county.

We don't have elections, except for the president, senators and congressmen, as well as the state house folks and local elected people.

We have to work with who ever is the chief and company officers.

That is the way it is in a major fire department. We don't get to choose who runs the show. We may be better off that way as there isn't any kissing up if your man or lady gets elected!!!

At home my wife is the Chief, so I know who has command! No guessing who is in charge of this incident.

Stay Safe & Well out there....

Thread Information