MembersZone Subscriber

Default What is Nader Doing?

I just finished watching the news, and it looks Like Nader is in the running again.

I'm just a Canuck observer, so my vote doesn't count, but after watching Nader inadvertently hand the first election to Bush Jr., what the hell does he think is going to happen this time?

The sarcastic conspiracy theorist in me says he must be on Dubyas payroll, because I don't see him being anything but a negative influence for the dems this time around.

Anybody out there see how this can even benefit the Greens? I think the animosity this will cause among the moderate dems will push the Green Party's development back another decade.

I have to ask what the hell he thinks he is doing?
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I would ask someone from the Green Party, but....well, Read your quote....LOL.

Forum Member

As I understand it, if Nader can get 5% of the vote then he can get federal election money and matching funds in future elections.

If this is done the Green party will also be able to be recognized as a political party at the federal level.

You are right, after 2000, he only took votes away from Gore by appealing to the extreme Left and others on a few issues. I feel that the same will be done again this year. I do remember a few months ago Nader said that he was not running this year. I guess he can't make up his mund, this helps out his credibility, doesn't it?
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Temporarily/No Longer Active

As usual I'll be voting the Libertarian Party ticket.
    The National Libertarian Party- http://www.lp.org/
    Louisiana Libertarian Party- http://www.la.lp.org/

Sr. Information Officer

Wink

It's called POLITICS. He plays the game.

Aloha!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Nader will not garner anywhere near the support that he had in 2000. He WAS the reason George W. Bush was elected President. Democrats are slowly waking up to the fact that pragmatism outweighs idealism when electing a president.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Mikeylikesit is 100% correct. Fringe candidates like Nader and Perot usually only get to make one big showing and then it is all downhill.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he stays in til the end and draws a huge far-left response , but it ain't gonna happen this time.

Forum Member

I guess he can't make up his mund, this helps out his credibility, doesn't it?
    That has nothing to do with one's credibility.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Not a greenie this time

Nader is running this time as an indie

I don't think he'll help the Greens cause this time.

Ralph Nader...a legend in his own mind.

Of course it sets up an interesting question:

If the Democratic primary voters, by and large, were voting for Kerry as most "electable" counting on him having a solid left wall...

If Nader had pulled 2/3rds fewer votes in NH and FL in 2000, he still would've decisively tipped the scale to Bush. So "far fewer" votes as Mikey says (and I'd expect) may still be far too many...

If you have to make up 1 or 1.5 percentage points from the left by pulling from the right-of-center...who has the better shot at it? Kerry or Bill Clinton, damnit I did it again, I mean Edwards? His left will be just as strong as Kerry's left now that Nader's exposed it slightly, and his right flank is stronger if for no other reason than's he's not a Massachusetts Liberal.

I'm tellin' ya, the only ones happier than the Republican National Committee when Nader jumped back in had to be Edward's close advisors. At the very least Nader makes it one step closer to a Kerry defeat and Edwards having to step up and save the party in '08 because I don't see the Democrats at trying to win with a NY liberal four years after a MA liberal lost four years after a ticket with a CT democrat on it lost...the battleground is the South.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

MembersZone Subscriber

IMHO, Nader will be virtually a non-factor in this election, as an independent, ie; no party organization backing, he will have an extremely hard time doing two things-getting his message out and getting his name on the ballot in 50 states.

Forum Member

Originally posted by CollegeBuff
    Scary scenario I heard the other day, can't remember where:
    2) Hillary is proposed as a party-uniting, Bush-destroying candidate and wins in the second round.

Wasn't she already president? LOL.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down Who Cares?........

Nader is a nerd. I'm registered as a Republican, (In Maryland, you have to be affilliated to vote in the primary) BUT I VOTE FOR WHO I LIKE, REGARDLESS OF PARTY. Truth is, there is no party that represents my views on many items. Democrats don't want me because I support Gun rights, Low taxes, Small Govt, Ending social programs, and the Republicans don't want me because I support abortion rights, and want Federal Regulation of Big Business (Utilities and Energy, including Oil, and a huge reduction in the Airline industry) and an end to immigration and some imports, while stopping U.S. jobs from going overseas. The Greens hate me, since I want to drain the swamps, use coal as the major energy source for America, and save money by dismantling the EPA. Anyone voting for me? Oops, Almost forgot, I'm for ending lawsuits over things like the Hot Coffee spill at McDonalds, and most Govt. protection for stupid people. OSHA would be gone in a minute. Let's call it the Common Sense Party. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone voting for me?
    hwoods, vote for you, hell, I'll volunteer for your campaign. Better yet, I'll take a cushy paid staffer position in your campaign office.

Nader is a non-factor. Kerry wants to debate Bush on Vietnam? Aren't there enough vital issues of today's world on the table? Edwards, he's got 2008 written all over him. Hillary in '04, I'll freakin' move to Canada!

Bush gets the nod in my book.

MOH
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

Forum Member

Wink who ever 'wins' the dem primary is done for anyway...

Kerry seems to have some decent ideas and backing, its a shame that it looks like he will win the nomination, as Bush's popularity is overwhelming, hate to see someone with some valid ideas to be a sacrificial lamb, but thats what its gonna be.. IMO. Wish they would go for the above idea regarding Hillary.... we could get her the heck outta NY, and hopefully out of politics totally. I'm arch conservative so Bush has my vote.
    (should now be CharlieRFD,past,Pres.), but I've had this screen name for so long, I'm keeping it..., besides I'm Deputy Chief now.
    BE SAFE OUT THERE
    NEVER FORGET
    GOD BLESS THE 343 AND 60, MAY GOD GRANT HIS PEACE TO THEIR LOVED ONES.
    IACOJ
    F.O.O.P.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: who ever 'wins' the dem primary is done for anyway...

Originally posted by CharlieRFDPres
    Kerry seems to have some decent ideas and backing, its a shame that it looks like he will win the nomination, as Bush's popularity is overwhelming, hate to see someone with some valid ideas to be a sacrificial lamb, but thats what its gonna be.. IMO. Wish they would go for the above idea regarding Hillary.... we could get her the heck outta NY, and hopefully out of politics totally. I'm arch conservative so Bush has my vote.
    As far as I can tell, she has not represented NY in the Senate, but has represented herself. If NY defeats her soundly when she is up for re-election, that will be the death knell for the political career that she owes to Rudy's cancer.

Forum Member

As seen on a t-shirt or a bumper sticker:

"If the north won the war, how come we got Hillary?"
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Thread Information