Forum Member

Default Streamlight helmet bracket

Any input on the Streamlight helmet brackets? We have the LED 4 AA cell Streamlights. The bracket that Streamlight has is a poly type bracket...it looks like it might not hold up under demanding conditions. I have also seen the steel type but have yet to find one for the 4 AA cell flashlight.

Thanks!

Forum Member

I have the metal bracket you're talking about. The flashlight/bracket combos were issued to us by the FD. I can find out where we got them from for you, or you may be able to get it right from streamlight. How is the LED version of the light? I have the regular bulb version and am interested in upgrading.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Definately go for the metal holder, or don't waste your money. The poly hlder I bought didn't even make it through one day! My helmet was sitting on my bunkers and slid off. That was the end of the poly holder!
    Marc S.
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Solon Local 2079

Forum Member

Exclamation

Be careful adding or substracting from any helmet. Adding lights by hard mounting to a helmet MAY void the helmet certification. Our policy is NOT to add or take away anything to the helmet or other turnout gear.

Use a streamlight type clip on the coat or scba harness strap type light.

Stay Safe & Well out there....

Forum Member

I talked to a streamlight representative who is also a fireman at a convention. I asked the question of which is better the regular bulb or the LED's.

His response was if you are doing accountability, filling out forms, doing things like that, he said the LED is for you. He said if you want a "smoke cutter" you want the regular bulb. He said, as we all should be able to notice, the regular bulbs beam is more concentrated, and the LEDs are like driving in dense fog with the high beams on. So, I bought the reglar one. I would also like to find a metal holder for the light.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Forum Member

I agree that the LED light likely will not penetrate the smoke as well as halogen or xeon bulb. But it is a very nice light to provide a non obtrusive light for all operations. It is more of a flood type light than a spot. Plus the battery life is much better with the LED light.

MembersZone Subscriber

I hope the LEDs are adequate for cruddy conditions. We just ordered 30 LED 4AAs with helmet mounts, got a heck of a deal, just under 30$ for each light plus mount.

I expected that the LEDs wouldnt cut smoke as well, but for most of the other conditions that the lights are going to be used, the flood and quality of the LED light seems like it would be better.

Another factor is the battery life. We have a lot of wildland fires that can go days of not more. IIRC the 4AA LED has about 120 hours of battery life.

As far as what we had, diposable garrities, the 4AA LEDs would have to cut smoke better then that! If we realy want candle power, we have streamlight lite boxes.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Default Go With the Underwater kinetics

I have the 4 aa underwater kinetics light with the stainless holder and its great only about 24.99 from Thefirestore.com

Assistant Chief

I've seen the Underwater Kinetics in use inside a fire and thought it was an awful nice light. I keep a 4AA LED in my pocket and have a standard halogen on my helmet. As others have said, go for the metal mount. I found one here for you at http://www.flashlights.com

4AA helmet clamp, (metal) Fire- Item/Part #68023 $7.99

Currently our department is getting all new helmets because of a FEMA grant. As a gift from a village resident he's buying us all new Streamlight 4AA LEDs and the metal helmet mounts.

Stay safe!

Brad
    Brad A. Ingersoll
    Assistant Chief
    Maple Bluff Fire Department
    Blooming Grove, Burke, Maple Bluff EMS

Badgerland FOOLS
    EGH-PTB-FTM

mounting any type of light on your helmet (in my opinion ) is a waste of money.....I have had a few of them and they turned to junk after a few fires ..now I have a streamlight survivor and will have nothing less .......

Thread Information