MembersZone Subscriber

Default PG County FF Critical

What company are these guys from????

---------------------

Oxen Hill, Md. (AP) - Three Prince George's County firefighters were injured Sunday while battling a house fire.

The firefighters were trapped on the second floor of a burning home in the 5000 block of Roseld Court, said Prince George's County Fire and EMS spokesman Mark Brady.

One firefighter became trapped while searching for people, and two more became trapped when they went to assist their colleague.

All three were taken to the Washington Hospital Center burn unit, where one was listed in critical condition and two were being treated for non life-threatening injuries, Brady said. Their names was not immediately released.

Both people who were inside the burning building made it out safely.

Investigators were unsure of the cause, but they believe the fire started in the basement and spread to the upper floors
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

MembersZone Subscriber

Company 21, Oxon Hill VFD. All 3 were career FF's who were operating as the first due ladder, I think they were doing a search. I am not sure, my company was on the RIT Task Force when it was reported that the Lt. was trapped and the other guys were burned. By the time we got there the fire was out and we did a little overhaul.

Best wishes to all three, I know one of them well and am glad he is OK.

Forum Member

I'll be keeping the brothers in my thoughts/prayers.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Temporarily/No Longer Active

as an associate member of pg county it hits home... my thoughts and prayers are with him and his fellow brothers

Forum Member

Keep these members and all injuried or fallen members in your prayers.

Always strive to be careful. Make sure your company members all go home after the tour is over.

Stay Safe & Well out there....

MembersZone Subscriber

My thoughts and prayers go out to my brother.

On a note of concern, a quote from the press release says:
    The critically injured firefighter is 34 years of age, a Fire Lieutenant and 15 year veteran of the Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department. He is currently assigned to Oxon Hill Fire/EMS Station 21 and was riding onboard Quint 21.

At 9:00 PM he was listed in critical condition in the Intensive Care Unit. The name will not be released until additional family members have been notified.
    This all, but gives the members name and it would be easy to figure out who he is. This can lead to family members finding out through, less than official channels. My Department goes to great lengths to avoid family members learning such information in the press or other media, as they should. It's only right and the media should respect this and keep such information private, until officially released.

Again, my hopes for a full recovery go out to our injured brother.

MembersZone Subscriber

His name has already been listed on the Volunteer Company Website that he was assigned to. I wish him well and hope he is able to return to duty serving the citizens of P.G. County.

Good Job to the crews that made the rescue. It looked like they had thier hands full. And after all the negative press about RIT crews, it actually worked this time. We also have a MAYDAY procedure that was put in place as well. I am not sure if it actually worked though.

Initial Alarm:
    Engines 42,29,32 Truck 17, Squad 27, Battalion 5

Quint 21 cleared a previous call and Squad 27 was placed in service, Truck 17 moved into the Rescue Squad Position on the box.

Fire Task Force Sounded:
    Engines 73(Naval District)5, 47 Truck 26. (Squad 27 had proceeded undispatched into the area and requested to run the task force, Truck 26 was placed in service.)

After it was determined there was a FF Trapped, a RIT Task force was sounded bringing Engines 25, 9 (Transferred South)Truck 26, Tower 73 (Naval District) and Rescue Squad 8.

Numerous EMS Units and Chief Officers were also there as well as Park Police MedEvac Helicopter.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Well..........

229Lt, In defense of the PIO, All notifications had been made. I agree with your opinion, and we make sure everything is covered prior to any info being released. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

229Lt, In defense of the PIO
    I hope I made no inference about the PIO or Department. My comments were 100% aimed at a sometimes over zealous media.

Forum Member

This is what Rapid Intervention is all about. A job well done to the PGFD and all those involved in the rescue. This could have very well been a preparation for a funeral. My thoughts are with the injured and I pray for a full recovery...

Jim Crawford
    Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire
    rapidintervention.com

District Chief

First....As others have said...My thoughts and prayers are will all the brothers in PG FD as they recover. As for the most severly burned, it is good to see that he has been updraded to "guarded". We can only hope for the best.

I am assuming this went to multiple alarms... Hwoods...were you there?
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I also would like to offer my thoughts to the injured and their families and station mates.

I noticed by the pictures that the volume of smoke and fire decreases tremendously before the pictures of the members being pulled onto the porch. To someone, such as myself, that were not there it appears that once the mayday was transmitted a well planned attack and rescue happened very quickly. People look to have had full gear on and there are numerous hoselines deployed. I hope we can learn more about what happened prior to and after the Mayday so we can take the knowledge and learn from it. Good job saving their own. I hope the injured recover swiftly.
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Forum Member

Good job to the brothers and sisters in PG County....

Hope our injured brothers get back on their feet again quickly.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Post Well.......

Originally posted by captstanm1
    First....As others have said...My thoughts and prayers are will all the brothers in PG FD as they recover. As for the most severly burned, it is good to see that he has been updraded to "guarded". We can only hope for the best.

I am assuming this went to multiple alarms... Hwoods...were you there?
    A Task Force in addition to the normal assignment, and no, I wasn't there. This is on the other end of the county from me. Tillerman25's company was on the task force. And Artie, we agree, I didn't take offense, Thanks.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I wish them all a speedy recovery............this is getting really bad really fast..........lets all be safe !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

CaptStan, I posted all the units that were on the scene above. It was a Full House Assignment (3 Engines, 2 Ladders ,one of them was running as the Rescue Squad,) a Task Force (2 or 3 Engines and a Special Service) and a RIT Task Force (2 More Engines and a Special Service.)

Nice thing about P.G. is that there are only 12 Heavy Rescue's in the county and they are usually the dedicated RIT on an assignment. If one of them is unavailable, a Ladder Company can replace them on a Fireground. So if the closest Rescue is too far down on the run card, a Ladder will be dispatched in their place to ensure the RIT gets covered. With the exception of Vehicle Rescue, Ladders and Rescues in PG can perform the same functions.

I will say again, RIT WORKED! I have never been a big fan of establishing the RIT Team and I hate when I am assigned it on the Fireground, but I think I might be changing my tune here.

Forum Member

Default fire task force?

just for us non-PG county people, what is a fire task force, and how does it differ from an additional alarm?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

A Fire Task force is not quite a Second Alarm, but a little more than an extra Engine.

On each assignment, you are almost guaranteed to get an understaffed company on the box, so they will strike out a Task force to make up staffing or whatever. Alot of times they are used as extra units on House (residential SFD) assignments. Two Task Forces equal one alarm basically.

Box Alarms: 4 Engines, 2 Ladders, Squad and a Chief
    Street Alarms (House assignments 3 or 4 Engines, 1 Ladder, Squad and a Chief
    Downgraded Alarm: 2 or 3 Engines, Squad or Ladder, Chief (Used for Gas Leaks, Electrical Outlets, Misc. Incidents that require a little more than a Single Engine)
    Local Alarm: Single Engine
    Working Fire Dispatch: BLS Unit, ALS Unit.
    Extra Alarm: 3 or 4 Engines, 2 Ladders, Squad, Chief, Air Unit, Emergency Command Unit, Water Supply 25, Bureau Chief, Division Chief
    Fire Task Force: 2 Engines, Ladder or Squad
    RIT Task Force: 2 Engines, Ladder, Squad, ALS Unit, BLS Unit, Chief.

Tankers are added as needed in Non-Hydrant Areas.

Rescue Local, Speed limit greater than 40 MPH: 2 Engines (one each way on divided highways)Squad, 2 BLS Units, ALS Unit, Chief.
    Rescue Local, Speed less than 40 MPH: Engine or Squad (if the 1st due has a Rescue, they can take it instead of the engine) BLS Unit.
    Medic Local: Engine (if the first due does not have a BLS unit or their BLS unit is committed on another run) BLS Unit, ALS Unit
    Ambulance Local: BLS Unit and an Engine if the 1st due BLS is unavailable. Otherwise, the BLS unit goes alone.

Hope that helps you break it down, or it confuses you.....lol

MembersZone Subscriber

So a RIT Task Force is only dispatched when a MAYDAY is declared?

I'm guessing that their function is to back up the RIT already on scene, correct?

Best wishes to the injured for a speedy recovery and a tip o' the helmet to Squad 27 and everybody on scene for a job well done!
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Thoughts & Prayers to the injured Lieutenant & Firefighters...

I have to echo FiRsqDvr45's observation above -- from the photos & article, looks like once the stuff hit the ejector those on scene made a quick recovery, got the fire knocked down, and everything luckily fell into place.

I may come down hard on the RIT concept sometimes, but it's more for times when people take away staffing from your traditional first alarm to do it (you still need to take care of basic firefighting), or neglect basic training for specialized training. Having a crew ready to go for situations like this is good, sound firefighting.

In addition to the multiple small handlines, notice in the first photo they've also stretched a 2.5" to the front door. Wonder if that's what they used to knock down the 1st floor fire after it flashed before it could extend upstairs...
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

55 Years & Still Rolling

Originally posted by WTFD10
    So a RIT Task Force is only dispatched when a MAYDAY is declared?

I'm guessing that their function is to back up the RIT already on scene, correct?
    You are correct. in a perfect world, the Squad (Heavy Rescue) is the RIT on each call. Sometimes this duty falls to a Truck, or even an Engine, based on the Incident Manager's needs and the priority of those needs. Obviously the safety of our own takes precedence. On every job, the RIT function IS established. If a structure is large, or other unique factors exist, more than one RIT will be established, and there is a RIT sector or division commanded by a Chief, usually from a Squad company. I end up with this assignment from time to time.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Bwst wishes to those who were injured. I know its going to be a long road ahead. Get well soon !
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Latest news is that the injured Lt. was able to give his family a thumbs up and communicate concern over his fellow firefighters.

Forum Member

Default 2/25 press release

Fire Lt. "Dino" Mahaffey Recovery Update

Fire Lt. Dino Mahaffey continues to respond to treatment.
    Photo By: PGFD Photo

Fire Lieutenant “Dino” Mahaffey is listed in “Critical” condition in Intensive Care at the Burn Unit of the Washington Hospital Center. He is sedated after undergoing surgery in an attempt to improve his breathing on Tuesday evening. He remains intubated and continues to respond to treatment.

His wife, Dania, and family express their gratitude for the continued support and prayers received from friends and firefighters from across the Country. The family asks that everyone to continue to pray for “Dino”. Fire Lieutenant “Dino” Mahaffey has been an avid participant in the Department’s softball teams during his 15-year tenure. During this time he has traveled across the United States representing the Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department in softball competitions as well as an annual Softball Championship for the International Association of Firefighters hosted by Prince George's County Local 1619 held in Largo, MD, every September. “Dino” has forged dozens of friendships that will last a lifetime during these competitions and these softball-playing firefighters from across the country have called to offer their support and prayers as well.

Dania offered that it will be the prayers and “Dino’s” strong will that will pull him through this extremely difficult time. Dania remains very very strong and is comforted and surrounded by family, friends and a contingent of firefighters from across the region. She stated that her strength comes from within and the knowledge that she and “Dino” talked about the possibility of this occurring early in their relationship. Just before being taken to surgery last night, “Dino” gave her a wink of an eye that spoke volumes about his courage and strong will.

Sr. Information Officer

Post He's come home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God's Speed "Dino"! I wish you well!

WASHINGTON (AP) - Little more than a month after he was
    critically injured in an Oxon Hill, Md., blaze, a firefighter got a
    hero's send-off as he left the hospital Friday night.
    Prince George's County Fire Chief Ronald Blackwell wheeled Lt.
    Elmer "Dino" Mahaffey out of Washington Hospital Center. Mahaffey
    then walked the final steps to the fire truck he rode the night he
    was hurt. And with a thumbs-up for well-wishers, he rode back to
    the fire station, finishing the run he started that fateful night.
    "This is the way he would want to go home," wife Dania
    Mahaffey said as she fought back tears. She called it the happiest
    day of her life. Some of the firefighters who were with Mahaffey
    the night he was hurt were also on-hand when he left.
    On Feb. 22, Mahaffey became trapped on the second floor of a
    house while searching for people who, it later turned out, had
    already escaped. The 14-year veteran of the Prince George's County
    Fire/EMS Department suffered burns to his hands and arms, and his
    respiratory system was badly damaged. Three other firefighters were
    also hurt.
    Mahaffey and his wife rode the fire truck back to Station 21 in
    Oxon Hill, part of a symbolic process firefighters do when one is
    injured. From there, the couple headed home to Mechanicsville, Md.,
    where they live with their three children, ages 4, 6 and 10.
    "We're hoping he'll one day come back to work," Blackwell
    said.
    Blackwell and Dania Mahaffey thanked the hospital and the public
    for all the support the Mahaffey family had received since the
    lieutenant was hurt.
    "He now just wants to go home to be with the kids," Dania
    Mahaffey said just before she got on the fire truck with her
    husband, waving as they drove away.
    ---
    On the Net:
    Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department:
    http://www.pgfireems.com

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Thread Information