Default What is it explorers do?

We dont have anything like explorers around here. What is it you guys get to do? Get called to help at fires? I dont really know anything about them.

since we dont have anything like that I have to wait another few months till im 18 to become a volunteer. I cant wait I have been wanting to get into this work since I was about seven

Forum Member

It varies greatly. Some places allow explorers to respond to anything and do most anything on the fireground while other posts are restricted to training only.

expvol
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well im my post, which is in a large big city dept. We attend meetings 2-3 times a month. The meetings are basicly for training and skills improvement. We are given the privilidge to ride out at any of the 5 stations from 0800-2200 and after 2200 with Sr.Captians / BC approval. We jump truck between the units and run any calls that come out. We are not allowed to run any calls in POV's.We must be in a dept vechicle. However being an explorer is a big plus when you go for your volunteer application or paid application. Your allready know the department pretty well and have a good base of knowledge. Our traing topic cover Search and Rescue, pump operations, water dynamics, ladder ussage and deployment, unit orientation and testing. What I mean by testing is at any given time one of the FF's can ask us to get something, we are suppose to know the units that we ride with like the back of our hands. We help with dept trainings serving as help staff, and victims for drills. Sometimes we are given the priviledge to lead a line in on a dumpster fire, car fire, or operate an exterior attack device, 2 1/2 or the deck gun. This is only after a few years of extensive trainings and being able to show your officer that you know your stuff. One trend that has started, is that each explorer sort of picks a station and shift and rides with only that shift. It is sort of a way to build a rapore with the crew and officer on duty. I no longer jump truck, I have assigned my self to one unit.

Forum Member

here in highland twp. michigan. we are allowed to respond on ANY RUN that is in curfew hours (mon-thurs 2:05-10:30, fir 2:05- 12:00, sat 5:00 - 12:00, sun 5:00- 10:30)

on medical calls we usually get out the med box, o2, clipboard. then if wee need them backboards,c-collars, spiderstraps, etc.

on pia's we will get out the medical stuff, or we will get out the jaws and equipment used to run the jaws ( we CAN NOT opperate the jaws), we can also do traffic.we will help sweep up the mess too.

on structure fires we will get out the proper equipment to change the scott bottles, any tools needed, pull hose, set up lights, if we are lucky we can help fight the fire from the outside ( explorers CAN NOT enter a burning structure).

on grass fires we can grab a knob and put the fire out. alot of times we are left to sweep.

we can also do station duty durring curfew hours.

we do all of the training that the ff's do. we can do just about any thing they can.

any questions PLEASE contact me!!!!
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Forum Member

i forgot some things too.

we CAN NOT climb a ground ladder that is more than 35 feet tall (the tallest ground ladder we have is a 24 footer.but we can climb as high as we can on a ladder truck, weather it be 1 foot or 110 foot ladder.

we meet every sunday from 7:00pm til 9:00pm, except on the first sunday of every month, there we have breakfast with the ff's have a meeting together and then havt training. that goes from about 6:00am till whenever training is over.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Forum Member

one more thing how old are you???

i ask beacuse if you are just starting high school(or are going to start it soon). you could see if a local dept will host a post.

you would have to go through the dept. and your local bsa office, but it is really worth it.

explorers here that have gone on to become ff's have graduated in the top 3% of their class.

just a thought.

if you are going to be 18 soon it is not really worth it to start one for your purpose. but yoy might be able to help younger kids start a post.

any questions feel free to e-mail me.

basic fire ground operations only, We have 2 drills, one for the
    firefighters other for the juniors or explorers. Hydrant hook ups,equipment accountability and carriers,we have them put up ground ladders on fire scene,exterior attacks,they really come in handy after fires when we all wrap up. we have 3 engines 2 are enclosed cabs, are the only trucks they can ride, cannot ride the first unit. We take them to the training facilty once a month let them play search and rescue with the roscoe machine, they keep the fire trucks shiny.
    If we don't do it nobody else will!!!!

Forum Member

Originally posted by hotboy
    we have 3 engines 2 are enclosed cabs, are the only trucks they can ride, cannot ride the first unit.
    i don't see why this is such a big deal. we have 2 engins here that are open cab. explorers can ride there (we just about always have to ride there in the winter), AS LONG AS we wear our seatbelt and the safety chain.

Originally posted by Moose2028
    one more thing how old are you???
    I am actually almost 18 now

Forum Member

Question

Thats a question that I have been asking for several years, since we started an explorer program. What do they do?? Nothing really. It is hard to get them to come to recruit graduations to hand out the programs ans play a part in the program. They can't make to annual Fallen Firefighter Memorial Service. They always have something else to do. They are always around if you are handing out tee shirts or food. They are always available to go to Baltimore to the Fire Expo.

Ummmmmmmmmmm? What is wrong with this picture??

They can ride but can't do anything once on then scene. Most of them that will ride, once on the scene, will run around laughing and not paying any attention to what is going on.

My vote would be to do away with them in our department.

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer
    They can't make to annual Fallen Firefighter Memorial Service.
    Not true at all around here. It ia an annual thing that every Sept. we visit the Michigan Fallen Firefighters memoral. we lost one member of our dept. in the mid 80's, in a traning fire. we visit it every year.

Forum Member

Any Explorer post is only as good as their advisors. If you have lazy, uninvolved advisors, you will have a bad explorer post. If you have highly motivated, educational, active advisors, you will have an excellent post. I've been involved with both types, and the latter is definitely preferred.

My departments post meets almost every Sunday and are working their way through the Delmar series for Basic FF level 1. There are some skills they can't do, but they can read and talk about them. They respond to calls, they don't ride the first due engines, they help as gophers, footing ladders, repacking hose, changing bottles, etc. Our post is regulated to 14-16 year olds, at 16 they must either become a Junior/Trainee member or drop out. In the next few weeks, they will be attending their second annual competition between a few local Explorer posts. They are looking forward to their second win.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Man your explorer posts are too rule filled..Our juniors up here(Although my dept does have a junior program this is the way others are run) can respond to a call any time day or night...School or Not in school...They can run jaws if they have taken level 1 which most do...They can do anything normal firefighters can do..The only rule is they cannot be in the hotzone of a house fire...

One thing on the school hours calls..They cannot leave during tests or exams

Forum Member

I really don't think a 14 year old should be the one to be operating jaws at a MVA.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

CaptOldTimer... Getting rid of the program is not the solution to your problem.

Its not the explorers fault, its not the programs fault that they are the way they are. ITS THE DEPARTMENTS FAULT. If you want them to be productive, effecient and learn, than you have to include them in everything you do. Train with them one on one, and just get them involved. Thats the main problem of any departments explorer program, is that the department dont work to include the explorers, they just plan on the explorers showing up, and it dont always work that way. You have to make them feel needed, and required.

Doing away with the program completely is nothing but arrogance on the departments side, and it sure is heck is not helping out the fire service. Get them young, get them interested, and they will hang around. If you dont make them welcome in your department, than your wasting their time, and yours.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Forum Member

I will say one thing towards Bones42...There is no 14 year olds on departments here..You have to be 16 or older and most are 17 or 18 before they join...And in order to run the jaws they have to have Level 1,which most take..And your not always gonna have the resources during day time and a junior member may have to run the jaws..if they are qualified...I know in my dept i started on Juniors outnumbered FF's on trucks sometimes during the day..And it happens here...I know juniors who run more calls than full-in members...

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer
    Thats a question that I have been asking for several years, since we started an explorer program. What do they do?? Nothing really. It is hard to get them to come to recruit graduations to hand out the programs ans play a part in the program. They can't make to annual Fallen Firefighter Memorial Service. They always have something else to do. They are always around if you are handing out tee shirts or food. They are always available to go to Baltimore to the Fire Expo.

Ummmmmmmmmmm? What is wrong with this picture??

They can ride but can't do anything once on then scene. Most of them that will ride, once on the scene, will run around laughing and not paying any attention to what is going on.

My vote would be to do away with them in our department.
    That thing called retirement that the city gives you; I believe you need to take it.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Thread Information