Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ISO Question

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ISO Question

My department has all the equipment for pumpers and service companies that ISO has on their list but it is split up between our engines and heavy rescue squad. For example both engines have PPV fans but the squad does not. A "smoke ejector" is listed as being required for the service company but not the pumper.

Does everything have to be on the specific apparatus in order to be counted by ISO?
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

Usually but not always, as in the case of a two-piece company.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

I'm not an ISO expert by any means (where's *LHs when you need him? ) but I believe they rate each individual apparatus, so whatever is required for an engine must be on every engine. I know our chief tried to count our 50' Telesquirt as an aerial, and it was not even CLOSE to having the correct equipment. If he would have had it evaluated as an engine, we would have gotten more points for it (even though we still didn't have all eqiuipment for it to be one) as a partial engine than we would have as a full aerial........

I know if you have equipment you need, talk to TFRD. I know many places borrow equipment for them to put on the truck, then after ISO leaves they return the equipment. Not necessarily right, but........

Originally posted by firenresq77
    (where's *LHs when you need him? )
    Beware what you wish for....................
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

If all the equipment for both an engine and service company were on one apparatus you'd get full credit for one and half credit for the other. Generally this is full credit for the engine and half credit for the service company.

In your case, all of the apparatus that have the full list of service company equipment split among them must respond to all structure fires for the full/half credit. If they don't, you get credit for what shows up.
    www.gvfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by ScottCook
    If all the equipment for both an engine and service company were on one apparatus you'd get full credit for one and half credit for the other. Generally this is full credit for the engine and half credit for the service company.

In your case, all of the apparatus that have the full list of service company equipment split among them must respond to all structure fires for the full/half credit. If they don't, you get credit for what shows up.
    Cool, that's what I needed to know. We send both engines and the squad to every fire. Thanks.

Brian, thanks for the tip but we have everything we need, it's just not all on one rig.

No problem........... Like I said, I don't know a whole lot, but I did pick up a couple things when we got ours done couple years ago

Forum Member

Glad to be of service.

Remember, you'll have to tell the ISO guy that you want the credit, and how you want it, i.e. 1-engine and 1/2 service company or vice-versa, and you have to have a written policy stating that both of those apparatus respond, and written records that they have responded to the incidents.

Now for the full credit kicker - staffing. If you're career 1 person = 1 credit person.

If you're volunteer and you sign in for each call, you have to have 3 personnel to = 1 credited person staffing (you have to have the documentation of this). If you don't sign in, 6 personnel = 1 credited person.

I don't have my copy of the FSRS handy, but if I remember right, an engine company needs 4 credited people for full ISO staffing credit and a service company needs 3 credited people for full staffing credit.
    Last edited by ScottCook; 02-24-2004 at 08:10 AM.
    www.gvfd.org

Thread Information