+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another shooting at our brothers/sisters in KC

Shooter Opens Fire As Homes Explode
    1 Paramedic Wounded

POSTED: 4:11 p.m. CST February 23, 2004
    UPDATED: 8:23 p.m. CST February 23, 2004

Story by Kansas City One Channel

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Two homes exploded in south Kansas City Monday afternoon as an apparent sniper fired shots at emergency workers. One female paramedic was hit.

The explosions happened on Grandview Road just north of Bannister Road around 4 p.m. KMBC's Johnny Rowlands reported that one explosion may have been caused by a propane tank in one of the homes. NewsChopper 9 was in the air above the home when the second explosion occurred and captured it on tape. The explosion sent debris flying into the air at least 1,000 feet, Rowlands said. Police said rubble landed five blocks away from the home.

Fire Battalion 107 was the first to arrive at the scene, and quickly came under fire from an unknown shooter, KMBC's Maria Antonia reported. The 12 firefighters called for help, and police and additional emergency crews were sent to the scene. According to Fire Department spokesman Germane Friends, none of the firefighters was injured.

Police said the shots were fired from the woods near one of the homes. No emergency or fire workers approached the house despite intense flames, apparently because of the shooting.

A female paramedic was shot by the sniper, according to Metropolitan Ambulance Services Trust spokesman Eric Dooley. The paramedic's name has not been released, but Dooley said she has been with MAST for more than 15 years. Her injuries were serious, but she was reported to be in stable condition after undergoing surgery at a hospital.

"As far as I can remember this is the first incident of a paramedic being shot in Kansas City. They've been shot at, but never shot," Dooley said.

Two bullet holes were visible in an ambulance parked at the scene of the explosions, KMBC's Dan Weinbaum reported.

Kansas City Fire Chief Smokey Dyer called what happened a "deliberate ambush."

"Whenever you arrive at a fire incident scene and numerous pieces of fire apparatus -- all together we have four pieces of apparatus that have been heavily shot, we have reports from our personnel and the tactical team from the police department that's been in the area that all of our tires have been shot out -- it would be hard to believe that this could be an accidental event," Dyer said.

Police Search For Shooter
    "When the officers arrived on the scene to assist the Fire Department and MAST personnel, as soon as they exited their vehicle they came under fire along with MAST and fire personnel. The officers observed where the fire was coming from and observed a suspect standing beside a building at which time the officers returned fire at the suspect," said Capt. Ron Fletcher.

Officers pulled back from their positions right after the second home exploded.

"They obviously saw the weapon protruding from beside the building, along with the muzzle flash and the suspect standing. That's what they were returning fire at. A short time after they fired at the suspect, that's when there was an explosion there where the suspect was standing," Fletcher said.

Investigators told KMBC that they are looking for a "person of interest." They identified him as Donin Wright, 62. He is about 300 pounds with gray and white hair. Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to call the TIPS Hotline at (816) 474-TIPS.

Police cordoned off about a 1-mile radius around the burning homes. Officers patrolled the area on foot and in armored vehicles, and a police helicopter searched from the air.

Bannister Road was shut down at highway 71, which is causing traffic backups. Southbound highway 71 is slow in the area while traffic is being diverted.

Some Neighbors Evacuated
    Officers evacuated people from several homes in the neighborhood by placing them in armored vehicles and driving residents from the scene. One woman who lived across the street told Antonia that she was watching TV when the ground shook.

"About 3:45 p.m. or 4 p.m., we were sitting there watching TV and you heard a big old "boom" and it rocked the complex. We looked out the back patio and you could see smoke and fire. We got into the truck and drove up. We got to 95th Street, going up to Grandview Road and (authorities) told us to get back. The fire trucks had just passed us and it took about 10 or 15 minutes before they got there. And all of sudden you heard gunshots. I mean rapid gunshots, like an AK-47 or something like that. They were telling everybody to get back and the police came in there and everybody was just running everywhere," neighbor Leslie Cole (pictured, left) said.

Keep in touch with KMBC 9 news and refresh this page for updates on this developing story.

Copyright 2004 by TheKansasCityChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

some people are just (no other way to put it) stupid! why would anyone want to do something like that?

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Holy crap!!!

Best wishes for a quick recovery to the injured paramedic.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

expvol
    Firehouse.com Guest

I was watching the 9:00 news on fox 4 and could not believe what I was hearing. The news station stated that one of the houses destroyed belongs or once belonged to one of the suspects. He also shot out the tires on a few fire apparatus. Man I hope that he goes to jail for a long time and gets help. You never think that is going to happen close to home, then it happens. Well those people just ****ed off one big family.

MembersZone Subscriber PFD109NFD107's Avatar

it's getting pretty bad out there... be careful my brothers and sisters!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Man I hope that he goes to jail for a long time and gets help.
    Gets help for what? He needs to go to jail for a long time with a 6'4" cellmate named Bubba who enjoys looking at him dressed up in a tennis dress. He needs to be punished severely, ot helped. Screw him.

expvol
    Firehouse.com Guest

Someone just put fire to a fuze. What I mean is, If this is a mental problem such as what happened in KY, he needs to be locked up, but given help to stop the problems.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by expvol
    Someone just put fire to a fuze. What I mean is, If this is a mental problem such as what happened in KY, he needs to be locked up, but given help to stop the problems.
    Just because a person commits an act so horrible it doesn't make sense is no reason to excuse him on grounds that he is insane. Being criminally insane means that you do not know right from wrong. He fled the scene. That means he knows it was wrong to shoot at emergency responders. He belongs in a jail for a long time. Period.

expvol
    Firehouse.com Guest

Just because someone flees, does not mean that he knows right from wrong. I am going to wait to see what happens and update the thread when the facts and truths to the matter comes out. Im not saying that the "insanity" claim should be used in all bad acts. It is not normal for someone to blow up 2 houses, call emergency workers and then shoot at them.

Personally I think the defense of "temporary insanity", "criminally insane" or whatever you want to call it is used and allowed far too often. If these jackasses want to do the crime then they can damn well do the time.

My thoughts and prayers are with the injured medic. I wish her a speedy recovery.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Originally posted by expvol
    It is not normal for someone to blow up 2 houses, call emergency workers and then shoot at them.
    Using your words of "it's not normal"... is it normal for ANY sort of crime to be committed?? Is it normal for adults to diddle little kids? Is it normal to kill people and store their parts in the freezer for later consumption?? Is it normal for kids to shoot up a school or kill their parents???? ...... and the list goes on. If you are saying that because the incident seems so far removed from the norm it must mean the perpetrator is mentally unbalanced and therefore deserves our help, well you had better unlock the gates, because everyone else who is doing their time will be wanting your kind of help too.

I stand by my statement, if they are "sane" enough to plan and carry out a crime then they are sane enough to stand trial and do their time.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

I am doing my internship with a arson sqaud around here. After working there for about a week........I learned some people have no limits--this proves it.

Just because a person commits an act so horrible it doesn't make sense is no reason to excuse him on grounds that he is insane. Being criminally insane means that you do not know right from wrong. He fled the scene. That means he knows it was wrong to shoot at emergency responders. He belongs in a jail for a long time. Period.
    I dont want to hitch wagons............but you are 100% correct George. People like this need to be locked away and locked away for good. They have no remorse and cant be rehabilitated.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

it's getting pretty bad out there... be careful my brothers and sisters!!!
    ..........DAMN ditto !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Just because someone flees, does not mean that he knows right from wrong.
    I'm not certain where you got your law degree, but one of the major tests of criminal insanity IS planning, fleeing and deception. Looks like we got it here. SLAM! (Jail door slamming shut behind a hardened criminal).

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

This assailant as a kid use to knock on doors and then run away, laughing to himself. He would go to a phone booth and call in a fire two houses away from his own, so he could watch his cruel joke play out. At school, he would pull the fire alarm to get out of school. He shot neighborhood cats and dogs with his pellet gun. Probably enjoyed watching his pet boa eat the rat.
    Is he sick? Disturbed? By the law's definition? Your definition or mine?
    Remember sniper John Malvo? His defense team pulled out all of the stops trying to prove that he wasn't accountable for his actions.
    Anymore; it is not about being insane, but simply meeting a burden of proof. It's just another way to beat the system. Going all the way back to one's childhood to find a shred of unhappiness that might convince a jury to let someone go by reason of insanity is, in itself, insane.
    Everyone has a reason for what they do. It is up to us to believe it or not.
    In this case, this guy set a trap. When he gets caught, he should go to jail for a very long time.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

This MUTT ( yes, I used the M word) deserves a long sentence in a penetentiary. Perhaps it's time for a federal law that makes shooting at police officers, firefighters and EMS workers a federal offense... with a term of life in prison with no parole, done at the Federal facility from hell. That way, if the skell's victims should die, the Federal death penalty kicks in.... yippee kyo kyay (fill in the blank!)
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Angry

I'd like to see that crimes against public servants - such as firefighters, EMT's and Paramedic's are prosecuted with the same vigor that a crime against a Law enforcement officer is.

When a police officer is shot - the kid gloves come off. I'd very much like to see the same here.

Just because someone flees, does not mean that he knows right from wrong. I am going to wait to see what happens and update the thread when the facts and truths to the matter comes out. Im not saying that the "insanity" claim should be used in all bad acts. It is not normal for someone to blow up 2 houses, call emergency workers and then shoot at them.
    It is not normal for someone to shoot someone - it is a criminal act- if it is premeditated - then it is murder. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

We have turnout gear in an attempt to protect us from the fire - composed of an outer shell, a thermal barrier, and a moisture barrier. What is next - a ballistic layer?? C'mon. This is BS.
    Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
    "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

MembersZone Subscriber

Posted on Wed, Feb. 25, 2004

Heroism emerges in rescue of paramedic

By MARA ROSE WILLIAMS and KEVIN HOFFMANN The Kansas City Star

Seymour

One of their own was down.

Horrified emergency workers watched as a spray of bullets shattered the glass of fire trucks, riddled their aluminum sides with holes and twice pierced the chest of a paramedic, grazing her heart and puncturing her lungs.

Like soldiers in a combat zone, six Kansas City firefighters rushed in without protective vests. They risked their lives to pull their fellow worker to safety.

Her family called them heroes Tuesday and said they had saved her life.

At Research Medical Center, paramedic Mary Seymour of the Metropolitan Ambulance Services Trust remained in critical but stable condition.

Two bullets remain lodged in her chest, but after hours of surgery she was awake and alert and communicated — mostly with hand gestures and eye movements.

“I'm fine. I'm fine,” Seymour mouthed to her two teenage children and her sister, who visited her in the intensive-care unit Tuesday morning.

Seymour, 39, suffered four lung punctures from entrance and exit wounds. In addition, a bullet grazed her heart, officials said.

Hillary A.A. Chollet, director of trauma services at Research Medical Center, said Seymour was considered a “high-risk” trauma patient when she arrived at the hospital with weak vital signs and in a “shocky state.”

Two heart surgeons and a trauma surgeon worked on her for four hours to repair the lung and heart wounds.

Chollet said that although Seymour's condition is stable, she “is not out of the woods yet.” The doctor said the paramedic faced a long recovery.

“Obviously she has a long road ahead of her,” said Eric Dooley, a MAST spokesman.

Dooley said that Seymour probably would have died if not for the heroic efforts of the police and firefighters.

An ambulance and four fire trucks riddled with bullet holes remained in the street near the 9400 block of Grandview Road, a reminder of the chaotic scene that erupted about 3:40 p.m. Monday in the south Kansas City neighborhood.

Seymour's ambulance and police had arrived at the scene of a reported house explosion. Within three minutes, a gunman began firing at them from across the smoke-filled street.

Two bullets tore through Seymour's chest, and she fell near her ambulance.

A MAST emergency medical technician radioed that Seymour was down and then took cover behind a tree north of the scene.

“The decision was made by the Fire Department to go get her,” Dooley said.

Firefighters hastily planned a rescue. They initially planned to go behind a burning building on the east side of Grandview Road for cover and then work their way north to Seymour. But after several police officers provided cover fire, they took a more direct route.

“It would have been impossible without the return gunfire,” Fire Chief Smokey Dyer said of the rescue.

The worst stretch for the rescuers was an exposed area between the northernmost fire rig and the MAST ambulance, which moved into position to block southbound traffic on Grandview Road as the gunfire started.

The firefighters grabbed medical gear and dashed to Seymour. They quickly bandaged her wounds and stemmed the bleeding.

They hand-carried her 100 yards south to the fire truck farthest from the line of fire, at the intersection of Grandview and Bannister. Once there, firefighters hoisted Seymour onto a backboard, placed her in the fire truck and raced down the road to an ambulance.

Dooley estimated that it was about 30 minutes from the time she was shot until she reached the hospital.

“With her injuries, time is of the essence,” Dooley said. “From experience, every minute counts.

“The amount of gunfire these guys were under is incredible. We're talking about hundreds of bullets. I'm told the side of the ambulance looks like Swiss cheese.”

Seymour's partner, an emergency medical technician, was not injured. Dooley said the partner was away from the ambulance where Seymour fell, helping to stop traffic in anticipation of the arriving fire trucks.

“He realized they were under fire and got behind a tree,” Dooley said.

The emergency medical technician remained shaken Tuesday, as did many MAST crews.

“It's a very somber mood,” Dooley said, adding that the service made counselors available to workers if needed.

Nonetheless, ambulance crews arrived Tuesday morning at MAST headquarters, hopped into their rigs and headed back to work.

“We know the dangers of the job, even more so today than yesterday,” Dooley said.

Dooley said that although bulletproof vests are available, paramedics and emergency medical technicians are not required to wear them, and few do. He said it appeared from the wounds Seymour suffered that a vest might have helped in this case.

“Some of us are thinking more about wearing them now,” he said.

At a news conference Tuesday morning, Seymour's sister thanked firefighters.

“Firefighters took an extreme personal risk to get her out of there,” Annie Wallace said. “If they had not done what they did, she would have bled to death right there before that guy stopped shooting.”

Wallace, who works as an emergency-room nurse at North Kansas City Hospital, described Seymour as a physically fit triathlete who runs daily, bikes and swims.

“She is strong and very independent,” Wallace said. She said she expected Seymour to return to work as soon as she could.

Seymour, a single mother of a 13-year-old girl and a 15-year-old boy, is the oldest of six children from a military family that moved around a lot, Wallace said. Seymour got her emergency medical training in Minneapolis and was recruited from there by MAST 15 years ago.

Emergency medical personnel from around the metro area sent best wishes to Seymour on Tuesday.

Workers at the American Medical Response station in Independence sent balloons and filled a poster-board-size card with get-well-soon messages, said spokeswoman Cynthia Wentworth.

“No one here knows her personally, but they know she does the same job they do, and we all are feeling for her.”

The Star's John Shultz contributed to this report.

To reach Mara Rose Williams, call (816) 234-7801 or send e-mail to mdwilliams@kcstar.com.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Once again

A situation occured where all involved risked their lives to save another. We talk about safety all the time.. But sometimes, just sometimes actions go above and beyond whats normal, and we do risk a lot to save a life. I am proud of these people, both fire and police, who once again showed why our professions are a true "calling" and not just another job.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like KCMOPD had the clown before they new it. Anyway, I am pretty sure that it is a felony to batter, assault, etc. any emergency responder while on duty performing their job. Its a fairly new law, but I am sure it is law. KCMOFD did have some shot up rigs.

And now for the rest of the story...about the suspected shooter...

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Investigators have confirmed they've found a second body in the rubble of two homes owned by Donin Wright.

They haven't confirmed if one of those bodies is that of Wright.

In an exclusive interview, his daughter told KCTV5's Sandra Olivas what kind of father he was to her.

"He would never hurt anybody. That's never been his intention," she told Sandra.

She didn't believe that Wright, who adopted her when she was 14 years old, a man she always pictured with gentle eyes and a loving smile, would do what police suspected.

"I think that maybe it was an accident," she said. "That's really all I can think. That's all I, you know, that's all I know."

Wright's most prized possession was the house his family had owned for generations, where he and several generations of his family were born and raised. It was charred rubble Wednesday.

"... I lived in that house. We raised dogs there. We raised chickens. We went to the state fair. We raised all kinds of produce. He taught me. He taught me how to shoot," she said.

The last time she saw her father was on Sunday, and she said she could tell that holding on to the family legacy was on his mind.

"He was worried about court, upset. (He) just said, you know, 'I don't want to lose any of this property,' and, 'We're going to keep it in the family,' and he said he was going to fight, you know, for what his family had earned. It'd been there since 1846," she said.

Wright was supposed to be in court on Monday on some code violations that were found at the house. Of course, Sandra said, that never happened.

Thread Information