Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Town of Niagara man dies in fire after calling 911

Town of Niagara man dies in fire after calling 911

2/23/2004

TOWN OF NIAGARA - A Third Avenue man died in a garage fire Sunday morning after he called 911 to report the blaze.
    The body of Gerald Sypeck, 63, was found in the garage of his home at 8024 Third Ave. after firefighters knocked down the flames. The cause of his death was not immediately known.

Niagara Active Hose, assisted by other area fire companies, extinguished the blaze. What triggered the blaze has yet to be determined.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...23/3036519.asp
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Same thing happen in Tennessee last weekend I think. Senior citizen called 9-1-1 and then hung up the phone. When the department got on scene and found him, he had died in the house.

Too bad somebody hasn't talked to our "older" folks at meetings and churches to tell them to get out of the house, then call 9-1-1.

Stay Safe & Well out there.....

Temporarily/No Longer Active Cellblock776's Avatar

Natural Selection at work. Call for help then sit and wait for help instead of fleeing to saftey. Were they just born without a Survival Instinct? Oh well. At least they made the effort of calling 911. Some don't even get that far.

Natural Selection at work. Call for help then sit and wait for help instead of fleeing to saftey. Were they just born without a Survival Instinct? Oh well. At least they made the effort of calling 911. Some don't even get that far.
    You're a damn idiot. Don't bother replying; I won't read it.

Angry

Either will I Robert.

He must be inhaling rocket fumes.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

So I am wondering something:

If this was one of your parents or a grandparent who experienced this event, would that also constitute "natural selection"?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Too bad the natural selection process you speak of seems to be ..... ummmmm........ how shall I say ....... so selective
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Dang Noz,

Aside from the religion/politics thing, you've always come across as a pretty bright guy. Then you went and said:

You're a damn idiot.
    That should have been obvious way before now.

now I am speechless, I agree with Noz

How about this. The engine on your plane dies. You are plummeting toward the ground. You braodcast a quick mayday as you put on your parachute and tighten the straps. Then you sit back down and wait.
    Same thing to me. If you are in a dangerous situation then... GET OUT!

Hey Cellblock, get down off your damned high horse and quit being such a judgemental *** for once. Ya ever hear of PANIC, lots of people who DO NOT face danger everyday panic when faced with it. Geeeee do ya THINK that's why we all do what we do, to help those who cannot or do not know how to help themselves?????? Get a thought process, preferably a more logical one.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

OH YOU *edited* FREAK!!!!!!

*bangs head against the wall* WHY WHY WHY did I actually say something nice to you not a half hour ago in another thread??

YOU ARE A *edited* DISGRACE TO THE HUMAN RACE!!!! Do us all a favour and go play with some of those things that go bang that you so love playing with and PUT US OUT OF OUR MISERY!!!!

slap me, ban me, do whatever you need to do I could NOT IN GOOD CONSCIENCE keep quiet.

Sorry everyone else.
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 02-25-2004 at 01:15 AM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Suicide by inaction. hehehe Some people practically walk up to death and give it a big hug. haha
    You are hiking in the woods when you spot the raging wildfire heading your way. The bears and deer and rabbits are all making a run to the river. You dig the cellphone out of your backpack and call the ranger station for help. Then you sit on a tree stump and wait for help. Wildlife continues to race past you in an attempt to reach saftey. Should you try to get to the possible saftey of the river? The fire's getting closer. You may make it or you may not. NNNAAAA....better stay put and wait for the Rangers. Boy. It sure is hot. Sure hope those rangers show up soon. Wow. A fox just ran past and almost stepped on your foot. Such a pretty fox. hehehe

Forum Member

Cellblock, just out of curiosity, If you were searching a house and saw a person laying on the floor asking for you to help get them out, would you tell them it's natural selection at work and crawl on past them, or say "at least you called 911"?

If it's in your nature to constantly belittle the actions of others, then why be in the fire service? It sounds like you care more about the adrenoline rush than those who you're supposed to be helping. If that's the case you need to leave the fire service and stay in the jailhouse babysitting the kids.
    Scott Maples
    www.Jeffersoncityfire.com
    Firefighter/EMT-IV

If you're always talking, you're never listening...if you're not listening, you're not learning.

MembersZone Subscriber

You guys waste way too much time on that moron.

Absolutely, George. He is what the "ignore" button is for.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

I can't believe I'm actually wasting my time on this reply, but what the hell...

Did you ever stop and think that perhaps they didn't call 911 and then sit and wait for help? Did you ever think that perhaps calling 911 was the last action they made prior to being overcome by smoke?

I pulled a body of an older (probably within a year or two of my own mother) woman. She was found on the kitchen floor and when we removed her to the outside she had the melted handset of her phone in her hand!

Is it ideal to call 911 from within your burning home? Not really, but it happens. Your path of exit is blocked so you call from your bedroom and wait for help. This s%&t happens when all hell breaks loose in front of you in your own home. It's so easy to sit here hiding behind your monitor saying that you would do the exact right thing if it were you. I hope you do, but until it happens you will never know!

For the record, my FD was on stand-by for this one, and my wife's FD was called to the scene for their cascade system.
    There seems to be a lot of wild guesses as to what actually happened. And, while I do not have first hand information I do have some info from unofficial sources. But, since the scene tape is still up and the investigation is still going on, I dont think it a good idea to post said information here. If, and when the investigation is concluded I will try and remember to post what I know.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Angry Yeah, what he said.

Ditto what George so eloquently stated.
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

CUPCAKE?!?! Why does this become a weekly with us? We post relevant information, you make an *** out of yourself and then we all waste valuable time telling you what an idiot you are! You should get the point by now.
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

Thread Information