Thread: Interesting...

Default Interesting...

Last Update: 02/17/2004 5:50:34 AM
    By: Associated Press

(Santa Fe-AP) – The House has approved a measure that would require ignition interlocks on every vehicle sold in New Mexico.

It would require the devices on new vehicles by 2008 and on used vehicles offered for sale by 2009.

Ignition interlocks prevent vehicles from being started when the driver is drunk.

The measure’s sponsor, Grants Democrat Ken Martinez, says it would save lives.

He says putting ignition interlocks on every car, truck and commercial vehicle would shift the focus from punishment to prevention.

New Mexico already requires ignition interlocks for some convicted drunken drivers.

Opponents complain that requiring them on every vehicle would be costly to businesses and to the vast majority of citizens, who obey the law.

The bill now goes to the Senate.

Oh the conflicts...the liberterian side of me that says screw that, and the fiscal conservative that says if we're going to have a welfare state anyway, let's do what we can to contain medical costs...

Interesting idea. Don't see it flying wide spread, at least I'd have concerns on things like easy-to-bypass, spreading germs, etc.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Maybe I am being dense here... or perhaps just vehicullarly challenged, but what are interlocks, and how are they expected to "prevent drunk drivers" from turning the ignition?

Edgimicaation is requested
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Interlocks...

Basically it is a lockout on the ignition. If you blow into the machine and it determines your BAC is above a predetermined level, you would not be able to start the car. The sensor would over-ride the ignition not allowing it to start.
    Captain/EMT-P

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thanks, I wondered if maybe that's how it worked... seems pretty hi-tech stuff though - if/when it works.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, that will certainly take care of New Mexico residents.
    What about visitors? Will they pick their's up at the Welcome Centers or did New Mexico legislators figured that out of staters wouldn't be drinking in their state.
    I don't approve of drinking in excess(.08 in Illinois) and driving, but inflating the cost of vehicles because their enforcement efforts are ineffective is NOT the answer.
    Bad idea.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Just another chance to Prove You Are Innocent. Until then you are Assumed to be Guilty. Don't ask any questions. Keep your eyes on the ground. Here, wave this little flag when we tell you too. Stay in Line!

Forum Member

Out of curiousity, anyone have a better idea?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Good intentions,Bad idea.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Bones42
    Yeah, don't put them on!

If you give up liberty for security, you end up with neither

I certainly don't think they should put those in everyone's cars, cause that's just crap... like someone said, that's giving up part of what we're all americans for. But, something has to be done! i live in Rhode Island, its a very small state, and i've lost 6 people i know to drunk driving accidents in 2 years, i mean kids, 16-23 year olds who either were victims of someone else's stupid mistake, or our friend's stupid mistakes. Yea, kids will be kids, but its gone too far at this point. I don't think i can take losing someone else i care about to a stupid night out. Its traumatic for everyone to have our friends in jail or dead becuase of it. Even, one of the first calls i went on as a firefighter, was a fellow brother, 16, and his friend, 15 who were hit on their dirt bike by a car full of people drinking and driving. It was one of the worst calls i have ever been on, I was literally holding one of the boy's heads together. The 15 year old boy is still in the hosiptal in a coma, after almost 2 years, and the other boy is in a wheelchair still. and yet no one has been prosecuted. Its all crap to me. Just be smart, being the dd isn't so bad.
    Ne Plus Ultra - KFD
    9/11/01 never forget!
    OWB...

How's this for ya -

A chronic alcoholic wants to go down to the local licquor store and get some more MD 20/20 - so he gets his teenage son to blow in the breathalizer for him - VROOOM! car starts.

C'mon - I thought of that in like 35 seconds...
    If I can think if it - then thay can too...

I feel you are innocent, until proven guilty. The burden of proof is on the police - and it should be.

Looak at what happened to Germany when Hitler outlawed private firearms. His thugs were the only ones with guns.
    Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
    "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

----------------
    Looak at what happened to Germany when Hitler outlawed private firearms. His thugs were the only ones with guns.----------------
    Marc,
    You sound like a militia supporter. Careful what you state in the forums. The haters will pounce in a heartbeat.

Forum Member

-----Out of curiousity, anyone have a better idea?--------

Progect graduation is a good way to keep kids safe.

In my class you were offerd the chance to go to a sports club. They way it worked was at about 8 pm that night we would all go to the high school and board bus's for a sports club. Kids were breathelized before going and if you had a bag you opened it.

But you know what......we had jousting,tennis,racketball,bball,swimming,hot tub,kariokee,singers,face paint, tons of food and ice cream,pool table,couches,temp. tattoos,hypnotist and alot more. and we partyed there all night till about 6 am and then came back to town and went to the yacht club and had brekfast and got prizes. Sounds kinda corny but its great way to end your high school carrer and see the people you went with in a different light.

But most importantly NO ONE FROM OUR CLASS DIED IN A DRUNK DRIVEING ACCIDENT!
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe an amended idea?

Everyone accepts that we should have a valid DL before driving a car down the road, yet it seems that (at least around here) having your DL suspended or revoked doesn't discourage, much less stop people from driving.

For the most part, if they gave a flip about the law they wouldn't have committed whatever offenses resulted in them losing their driving privileges in the first place.

Most of the MVAs we see where alcohol is involved also involve drivers without a valid DL. Why not develop a nationwide standardized smartcard system that verifies the driver has a valid DL before starting the car? It wouldn’t keep the first time drunk off the road, but it would give real teeth to the threat of losing one’s license and go a long way towards preventing already convicted DUI offenders from becoming repeat offenders.

Before anybody goes to screaming about privacy and the government tracking your movements, it wouldn’t even have to involve data transmission. You go to court and get your license gets suspended all they do is swipe it and bingo, no starting a car for the duration of your sentence. Depending on how complex you wanted to get, you could even set it up to limit driving to certain days and hours of the week.

Exclamation

RANT ON !!!!

I am not a militia supporter. But I am a veteran of the USMC - and I am currently trying to get back into the Reserves.

I believe in service - service to one's community.

There are too many people out there that just take, take, take.

As far as the rest of this is concerned -

These breathalizers in the vehicles - who is going to pay for that? Another unfunded mandate passed from the legislation to the public.

Wonder why all these states have these horrendous budget problems - it because of assinine programs like this.

You want to shift from punishment to prevention --
    fine - pass something like Residential Sprinkler protection.

I love all these liberal's out there who want the government to mandate everything under the sun - and to do everything including wipe yer butt!

Most people are fairly intelligent - and should be allowed to choose what is right for them - and not have it forced down their throat by the government.

RANT OFF!!!!
    Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
    "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is a waste of time. This was highlighted on one of the morning shows. A police officer from the Miami area was describing how they work but also agreed that all it takes is a sober person to blow in it and the car will start. It does not know if it is the owner or even the person driving.
    A better idea would be to start holding the supplier of the alcohol more accountable. Bartenders aren't supposed to serve you if you are drunk but they still do. They should find out where the DUI had his/her last drink and charge that person with a crime. Even if it was a friends house, charge that person. If people began fearing that they could be charged with a crime when someone leaves their home/bar intoxicated, maybe they will get enough nads to stop that person and find a ride for them.

Forum Member

Well, so far we have a couple ideas that depend on people doing the right thing. Obviously, by the number of DUI's that occur, that is not working. Valid DL's? Come on, you only need a valid DL when you get pulled over, until then, no one knows if you even have a license.

stm, Project Graduation is a great night, what about the other 364 for that 1 year?

The breathalizer idea is a joke, no chance it would work. But let's keep trying to see what we could come up with.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I ran into someone from my home town while I was in a liquor store 7-9 years ago in Calgary. He offered me a ride home. Got in his fancy dancy truck and there was this thing sitting there. Guess he'd been busted and having of those "blow first" dooymahigys was the only way he could get his license back.

I never thought of the "friend could blow for you" idea. Good point.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Drinking isn't the problem. Driving after drinking is the problem.
    So that's where the fix has to come.
    Here not too long ago, a young man was driving while he was intoxicated and caused a fatal accident. Problem was that he had been stopped less than a month before for driving with no insurance, driving on a suspended license and for driving while intoxicated. The car was a friend's and did I mention that the suspended license was for a previous conviction of a DUI? Keeping them from getting behind the wheel is where this war will be won.
    Otherwise; we're talkin' Prohibition.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

I don't know about any of you, but I've seen some really smart and responsible people become stupid, irresponsible people after a few drinks. None of these people would do anything irresponsible sober but had no qualms about wanting to drive after a few. As a friend I never let them drive, and yes there were a few times that it took a physical skirmish to keep them from getting behind the wheel. It finally got to a point that my friends would give me their keys when we went out because they knew they would not get them back. Friends don't let friends drink and drive.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

I don't drink. I don't hang out with people who drink except when I have to such as department meetings. I do't respect anyone who drives drunk. Yet I certainly don't want the government to install a breathalizer on my vehicle. That's just to much of an invasion of my privacy.
    Peace,

Forum Member

Fla has a new law soon to take effect. if you are
    convicted for dui after your suspension is over
    you pay $75.00 to get the machine installed $60.00
    a month for maintenance and the unit randomly requires
    another sample while you are driving. Most people that
    get 1 dui get behind the wheel again after drinking.
    So in Fla you have been proven guilty and this is your
    punishment. If you don't like it ride the bus

i am definately the mother of my group, my friends know that there will be no drunk driving when they are with me, and they generally don't drive drunk at all, cause we've lost too many people, but what about the people we've lost who weren't driving drunk, who weren't in the car with someone who was drunk... what about the people who kill other people in other cars, when all they get are bumps and bruises, cause they are wasted... and who get out in a few years just to do it again. i think its just all too ****ed up, but i'm not about to take away my liberties to make the govn feel liek their doing something. i say one time you're done, no more driving, no more license, no more owning a car, **** em, if they are that stupid, then let them find another way to get places.
    Ne Plus Ultra - KFD
    9/11/01 never forget!
    OWB...

Forum Member

Driving is a privilege. It is not a Constitutional right. A mechanical device that does not allow a car to be driven is not an invasion of privacy.

Forum Member

I wonder who will be making money off this idea....

I agree with the posts that talk about keeping suspended drivers and repeated drunk drivers OFF THE ROAD. Stiffer penalties will help, I don't think you could ever keep 'em all off the highway though no matter what you come up with.

We do need to have better methods to control these problems, unfortunatly, it is one of the things we have to put up with in some numbers to be a free society...

Thread Information