Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hose collapsed at the regulator.
    The old "elephant trunks" had rings in them to prevent this. If the rings did not do their job and the hose collapsed, that would lead to low flow of air into the mask with no other warnings/alarms.

IMO.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

universal NO AIR sign
    .........uhm I think I know but I am askin for clairifcation ......choking sign ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I had an MSA fail on me in an attic years ago (probably very early 90's). It didn't cut my air supply, it started venting at the regulator (old belt-mounted style). I don't know how old the pack was at the time. I was able to extricate myself from the attic before all my air vented...fortunately there wasn't much smoke so even if it had failed completely I think I would have been OK.

At the time there was no regular maintenance being performed on the units themselves, only hydrotesting of bottles. Since then we have every unit flow-tested, checked, and serviced annually.

We've had a couple of other failures in recent years, but more like finding the problem while attempting to don it, not failing while in use.

I have been a firefighter for 16 years.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

universal NO AIR sign
    (supposed to be a big blue face, but not working for some reason)
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Partner had one at a live fire training session - when new cylinders are shipped from the manufacturer, there are small desicant beads in the cylinders to absorb any moisture that might get in there. Unfortunately one of these beads stayed in when the department received the cylinder and put the valve in (cylinder was a replacement for a damaged one), and that bead became stuck in the valve and blocked it. This WAS supposed to be a session to help restore my partner's confidence after a fall through a floor, but instead it turned into a half mask sharing, half coughing and hacking exit (we were too far in for a hold-your-breath retreat).

My own regulator failure was on SCUBA - regulator seat fractured while 230 feet below - thankfully I had a redundant system.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Jcasey,You must of had a 2A not a 2.2. No way could you collapse the low pressure tube on a 2.2(mask mounted regulator).Samson,I don't know how you could get bottles that weren't hydro'd filled.NO REPUTABLE air supplier will fill bottles that aren't current,it's the FIRST thing you check.And to use equipment that hasn't been "benched"within 24 months(12 months preferable)is insane.You wonder why you have problems.Our Scotts are rigorously maintained and we still find a few needing repairs during their bench tests.Around here if DOL came in and found packs with no "bench"stickers on them,bottles out of hydro,or lack of maintainence checks and usage logs,you'd be facing fines in the thousands of dollars.Cut and dried,you're out of business.A neighboring dept just found that out. T.C.

Thread Information