Assistant Chief

Question Leather Structural Boots

I'm looking at buying a pair of "like new" leather boots from a guy. They're Ranger model 3042 8 inch lace up leather boots (if/when I get them I'll get the zippers for sure). I'm not sure if they are built during the re-call period or not. The look to be in new condition to me. At $75.00 would you say this is a good buy? I've been using rubber boots all my career and nobody I know personally uses leather so I thought I'd ask all of you. Thanks in advance guys!

Brad
    Brad A. Ingersoll
    Assistant Chief
    Maple Bluff Fire Department
    Blooming Grove, Burke, Maple Bluff EMS

Badgerland FOOLS
    EGH-PTB-FTM

I love my Ranger 10" leather boots. Have had them almost 4 yrs and will probably have to replace them by summer but definatly stayin leather. Much more comfortable, easier to drive with, and warmer in the winter. $75 is not bad @ all and the zippers are definatly the way to go.

good luck
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Forum Member

I had the zipper type for 3 or so years and liked them but the zipper broke alot,mostly the small tab to pull them up came off.This happened to a few other guys in my dept more than once and everyone I know has replaced a zipper or two or three.Just about everyone I know has gone to a fire with an unzipped boot more than once because it broke or jammed.I went to the 14" leather 8-9 years ago and never looked back.Everyone I know who had the zippers is going over to the 14".Whether you're bringing in a line 2 or 3 floors up or cutting a roof the 14's are good...I'm not sure what the 3042 is designed for but if you're going for firefighting go for something good.

Forum Member

Default I've had 3 pairs

A pair of 10" Servus zip-ups, a pair of Black Diamond 14" pull-ons and a pair of Ranger pull-ons. By far the Rangers have held up the best. I also broke a lot of zippers on the zip ups. I also walked the soles smooth on them because I wore them as "station shoes". If you do that it seriously shortens the useful life of the boots. My Zip-ups are still in great shape except for having no tread left on the soles. Another thing to keep in mind is if your bunker pants are even a little bit short you may have an exposure problem on your legs with an 8" boot. $75 is a great deal on the boots you mentioned, and if they are in as good a shape as you say, jump on the deal and pick up a couple extra sets of METAL zippers when you get them. In the future when it's time to replace these boots, and the time will come, I would suggest the taller pull-ons, Ranger or Warrington are top of the line in my opinion.

Here is a little information:

http://www3.thefirestore.com/store/category.cfm?cID=997
    Last edited by tripperff; 02-26-2004 at 01:42 PM.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Anything found in my posts is soley my opinion and not representative of any other individual or entity.

You know that thing inside your helmet? Use it wisely and you'll be just fine.

Assistant Chief

Default I got em

I went ahead and order the boots. I can't afford the $200.00 for a new pair right now, so I'll see how I like these and save up for a different pair one day. Thanks for all the answers.

Brad
    Brad A. Ingersoll
    Assistant Chief

Badgerland FOOLS
    EGH-PTB-FTM

MembersZone Subscriber

Enjoy the new boots. I just wanted to toss this out there for you, someone already stressed METAL zippers, but also remember to use Nomex or some other retardant type of shoelaces. Its a mistake that you will only make once, it doesn't hurt you or the boots that much but the pride, oh man, because everyone will remember it for the rest of your life.

Cheers,
    Scott

Forum Member

all the people on my deparment that have leathers love them.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Idunno...................

I have Magnum Side Zips for Tech Rescue work and Warrington Pro's for Firefighting. I understand that there are a lot of folks out there who have to watch the bottom line, but if you can afford them, the "Pull Up" style is the way to go for Structural Firefighting. And Brad, Might I ask, who is the "Homer" in your Signature Line, Simpson?
    Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Assistant Chief

Default Re: Idunno...................

Originally posted by hwoods
    And Brad, Might I ask, who is the "Homer" in your Signature Line, Simpson?
    Stay Safe....
    The Homer that wrote the Odyssey would be a bit too philosophical for me. Homer Simpson is much more my speed. Homer's Odyssey... Is that the mini-van he rented for the summer? The cup holders were so big...

Brad
    Brad A. Ingersoll
    Assistant Chief

Badgerland FOOLS
    EGH-PTB-FTM

Thread Information