Thread: helmet bands

MembersZone Subscriber

Default helmet bands

Any ideas of things to use for a helmet band on your traditional besides the prepackaged garrity light, band, and wedges that you can buy? looking for somethin easy to find and dont need all the other stuff. (Found the garrity lights at wal-mart for $3 if anybodys interested) thanks!

Ben
    FF/EMT-B

Forum Member

You can go to wherever you go to get your firetruck tires worked on and get an old intertube from a big truck. Im sure they would have some to give you. You can cut them into strips and they fit just right for a traditional helmet. I also use the intertubes to but out door latch straps.

Permanently Removed

Default I am gonna get burned...

I know I am going to take heat for this, but-
    I prefer not to put anything on my helmet.
    Why? Why add more weight to your head AND
    add more flammable items as well?

I put my stuff in my pockets. They work
    well and never had a problem accessing
    them.

Forum Member

Exclamation

I do not put any thing on my helmet that didn't come with it on it. We do not allow any members to add or substract from the helmet or any of the turnouts.

Put your wedges and stuff like that in your coat or pant pockets. Get a good rechargable flash lgiht or safety light and clip it to the front of your turnout coat or scba strap. Keep the junk off your helmet. It really doesn't look professional looking to see a firefighter with all that junk hanging or straped to their helmet.

The next thing you will be seeing or wanting to do it to put your irons or an axe on your helmet.

Stay Safe & Well out there...

Forum Member

I would have to disagree with the comment that it is unprofessional to have wedges in a strap on your helmet. Now when people put buttons and useless items like that i would agree with you, but have wedges, nails, straps, or a flashlight is not being unprofessional, I would say that it is being professional. If you are on a hose company you need to be ready immediatly to chock a door open, if you have to wait for someone to fish a wedge out of his pants pockets that could stall the advance of the line, and that to me is being unprofessional. I can take a wedge out of my strap faster than someone who has to dig it out of the pants with gloves on. And during a hose advance those seconds are crucial. So in my opinion it is being professional to have your essential tools at the ready, and placing wedges and nails in your strap is doing that.

Forum Member

I agree with Dfd3, it's good to have that stuff handy. We have old inner tubes at the station that we just cut a strip off. It fits well around the helmet and you can usually position a light so that you can use it hands free. I know I have a heck of a time trying to fish stuff out of my pockets, especially with a pack and an escape/tool belt on.

MembersZone Subscriber

I too used to wear a "helmet band" on my New Yorker. I've stopped now though as we also do aircraft firefighting and routinely burn in a large frame trainer using propane as fuel. It is so hot in there on just plain training fire evolutions, I've burned through three "new" rubber helmet bands. First I thought it was a fluke, but after wasting two more, I'm not using the helmet bands anymore. I never had one burn up at a normal structure fire.
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

Permanently Removed

Default Hmmm...

Well the word "unprofessional" might be a little
    strong for this discussion. No need to slam anyone.
    I just keep the stuff well protected in my pocket
    and never have a problem reaching in and getting
    what I need.

Modifying gear is like modifying your vehicle. The
    highly educationed engineers spent time and
    lots of money to design it that way, so why mess
    it up? (ie- the slammed/souped up japanese race
    cars or trucks jacked up like 4 stories high...)
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-25-2004 at 09:07 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Hmmm...

Originally posted by CALFFBOU
    Well the word "unprofessional" might be a little
    strong for this discussion. No need to slam anyone.
    I just keep the stuff well protected in my pocket
    and never have a problem reaching in and getting
    what I need.

Modifying gear is like modifying your vehicle. The
    highly educationed engineers spent time and
    lots of money to design it that way, so why mess
    it up? (ie- the slammed/souped up japanese race
    cars or trucks jacked up like 4 stories high...)
    You are not altering the function or workings of a helmet by putting a small door chock or a flashlight on it.

I only have a thin wooden door chock on my helmet, in the rear. The reasoning is because I can grab that off my helmet much faster than I can fish it out of my coat pockets, especially with gloves on. And it is quite obvious why having a door chock on your helmet would be easier to access with poor visibilty.

dazed and confused

Default Can't remember where I saw this but it works

The manufactured neoprene-ish ones are junk. The manufactured wide rubber-band style ones are alright... work about as well as the cut-up tires.

I switched to a bungee-style cord that is clipped on each side of my visor mounts, wrapping around the back of my helmet. I went with the solid rubber style, vs. the fabric-covered elastic braid style. I'm not sure of the length... but it fits great and holds a couple o' wedge-it's quite well. There are other uses for it as well... you can unhook it and wrap a panic bar on a door to keep it open, for example.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Exclamation

Guys, I didn't mean to put any one down about the helmet bands.

If your department allows this, then by all means load up your helmet with all sorts of things.

The helmet is heavy enough, without having additional things attached!

My departments policy is "Nothing is to be added or substracted to nay piece of firefighting gear - period!"

The reasons are firefighters by nature will go beyond what is allowed. Having all these wedges, nails, hangers, lights, etc. I have seen through normal training exercise at the training center, members getting caught or hung up inside a comtroled safe area of the scba maze or the burn building. Now it this hapens at the training center, what will happen at a real events, such as in a single family house. Remember, for the most part, you have never been in Mrs. Smith's or MS. Jones house. You are not familer with all the junk that these people have in their home. You may know yours own home and would be able get through it without any problems.

Any salesman will sell you anything, if you want it. My point is that if it was so good, the helmet manafactures would have it on the helmet when it came from the factory. This is not the case, as they have to make and deliver a helmet according to the NPFA and all other safety standards. These extra items are NOT in those standards.

I was glad to retire my heavy leather helmet a few years ago when my department switched to the LA style helmet from Phenix Technology. My head and neck still thanks me for taking that heavy lid off my head.

Stay Safe & Well out there....

Permanently Removed

Default Wow!

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer
    I was glad to retire my heavy leather helmet a few years ago when my department switched to the LA style helmet from Phenix Technology. My head and neck still thanks me for taking that heavy lid off my head.
    Wow! Thanks Oldtimer! I have been preching light weight
    head gear in here for awhile and some just dont listen.
    A heavy helmet plus extra junk does hurt and degenerate
    the neck over time. Is is worth "the look?" I dont think
    so. This job aint worth dying over nor having pain after
    I retire. To me it is just common sense...Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-26-2004 at 04:08 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Re: Wow!

Originally posted by CALFFBOU

I have been preching light weight
    head gear in here for awhile and some just dont listen.
    A heavy helmet plus extra junk does hurt and degenerate
    the neck over time. Is is worth "the look?" I dont think
    so, this job aint worth dying over not having pain after
    I retire. To me it is just common sense...Bou

Double WOW Brother.

If the guys have been wearing that heavy thing and working in the busist companies as I have, and being in a truck company pulling ceilings, then you know that the head take a licking. With the older leathers they got heavy after awhile and the abuse on the neck. Oh man! I have had two operations on my neck and don't need any more.

The lighter weight helmet is one of the best things that our department ever got the members.

As some of these youngers jakes get older they will want to get something to wear that doesn't take a burden on the body.

MembersZone Subscriber

To actually answer 37 Squad's original question...I use an old bicyle inner tube. A narrow road racing bike one works well. Just cut and knot it to whatever diameter you need. I find that these tubular rubber bands hold up much better that the sliced open truck tubes.

And for the record, I keep a life light on the right side and a wedge on the left of my lid.

Cheers,
    scott

Forum Member

I used to keep a band with light on my lid at my Volunteer house. After burning through a couple of them, in trailer house fires is where I'd destroy most of them, I got smart, invested in a UK flashlight and holder. Now I just have the UK light on each of my helmets, work and volunteer.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

Gee I guess that inner tube adds tons of weight.And a wedge oh my God.In all my years I've never seen a person or their helmet suddenly burst into flames because of flammable objects on their head.This is not modifying a helmet like cutting holes in the top for air(sarcasm) or removing the webbing inside so it fits lower.If your wooden chock catches on fire I think your body would have started to burn before that.Don't worry about manpower problems,but get that chock off your head,now!!

Forum Member

We do not allow any members to add or substract from the helmet or any of the turnouts.
    Get a good rechargable flash lgiht or safety light and clip it to the front of your turnout coat or scba strap
    My departments policy is "Nothing is to be added or substracted to nay piece of firefighting gear - period!"
    Which is it? If you clip a flashlight to your gear, you are altering it (at least according to your definiton of altering). Hanging a flashlight off your gear is no different than using a rubber strap to have a light or wedges or whatever on your helmet.

Having all these wedges, nails, hangers, lights, etc. I have seen through normal training exercise at the training center, members getting caught or hung up inside a comtroled safe area of the scba maze or the burn building. Now it this hapens at the training center, what will happen at a real events, such as in a single family house. Remember, for the most part, you have never been in Mrs. Smith's or MS. Jones house. You are not familer with all the junk that these people have in their home. You may know yours own home and would be able get through it without any problems.
    I guess I don't understand how a band and a couple wedges are going to get caught up on things. They don't add to the profile of the helmet all THAT much........

Forum Member

If your worry is your chock (or anything else for that matter) lighting up, you've got bigger things to worry about. Rememeber, alot of the tools used today started by someone "altering" their equiptment. You guys are overthinking this one.

Forum Member
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

On my Leather lid at my volly FD I carry 2 wedges and a Garrity light withan inner tube strap.

On my 660 at my career FD I have a UK light with bracket that I modified to lay closer to the helmet for lower profile and 2 wedges held on with an inner tube strap.

Again with the Leather helmets...if you don't like them great, if you like them great. I don't believe your neck problems are common place in the fire service. Truth be told many departments switched to either salad bowl helmets or plastic traditionals more for cost reasons than any thing else. My career FD allows plastic traditional helmets if you purchase them yourself and roughly 1/4 of the guys have done that.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

I just put a strap on my helmet and I think I'm the first in the dept to do it. The only thing I have is a flashlight and thats all I really wanted to add. I may put a few wedges later.

I have had or somebody in the department has had at one time or the other most of the helmet mounted flashlights that cost $20-$40 and they never seem to stay on the helmet. The brakets break or the glue falls off or something. The toughest one I ever had was one that mounted a mini-mag but it had poor light output compared to even the Garrity. Plus it would poke holes in my gear bag. The best light was a Pelican but it was forever falling off the helmet.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

Forum Member

Exclamation

Putting a rechargable light on your coat is authorized, as we supply the light. This is NOT adding or substracting to the turnout gear. It is providing a safety light for the member to use and not having to carry the thing in their hand.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not really sure how putting a flashlighting on your coat is NOT adding something to it, but justify your opinion anyway you want.

"Putting a rechargable light on your coat is authorized, as we supply the light. This is NOT adding or substracting to the turnout gear."

I would think that hooking something on a D ring would be the same as sticking something in a rubberband.

Justify whatever you want. I'm the station king of finding the loophole in rules and regs. Its a good hobby, glad to see you do it too.

Cheers,
    Scott

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer
    Putting a rechargable light on your coat is authorized, as we supply the light. This is NOT adding or substracting to the turnout gear. It is providing a safety light for the member to use and not having to carry the thing in their hand.
    That is no different than putting a rubber band around your helmet. I don't see how you can say it is......... If you put a band on your helmet, you can put a saftey light in there for the member to use without them having to carry the thing in their hand..... No different.........

And by the way, how is it not adding to the turnout gear by attaching something to it?????????

Forum Member

We all have goggles on our helmets (our new Cairns 1010s came set-up that way) and most everyone has a light of some sort. Maybe about a third do the rubber band thing. We have a couple old inner-tubes in the workroom for this purpose (and also to make bands to wrap around our brush hose Gasner rolls).
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Thread Information