MembersZone Subscriber

Question Volunteer Active Status

Hi, I am looking for ideas how other departments keep status for members to be active for voting priveledges and officer positions.
    Ex: Points, Number of calls etc. You can e-mail me guidelines of you have any.
    Thanks

Rob

HNFC FF/President

40% of calls and drills.

If you can't make 40% of calls and drills, you better have a good reason for it. The best one we have is Military Service, for this your protected from everything.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

MembersZone Subscriber

80% of calls and 80% of trainings. If to many trainings are missed most of them can be made up with an officer.
    Steve
    Lietuenant 107
    Morton Township Fire/Rescue
    "Good to Go"

Forum Member

Originally posted by TrojanHorse
    We do 10% of calls, at least 1 meeting every quarter, and 10% of the drills. There are also certain madatory classes, such as Bloodbourne Pathogens. However, we just put this in place, it will be interesting to see if the new regime follows through.

I know it irks me to no end to see people show up at the annual meeting to elect officers, and you don't see them the whole rest of the year. 300 calls and they make less than 10.
    Everything you just said is exactly like my volunteer dept. And like you said it ****es me off to no end to see some guy that is never around for the fires or drills to come and place a vote. And I don't understand how guys can't make 10% of like close to 400 runs a year, thats like 1 call a week, if that. But like any vollunteer dept. you know the guys that want to be there and actually take everthing we do seriously!

Forum Member

here is an idea .................stop electing them, and appoint them !.....for us the Union contract says members must make 3 out of every 4 drills and not in the contract we try and ask everyone to make 25 % of all calls.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

I know it irks me to no end to see people show up at the annual meeting to elect officers, and you don't see them the whole rest of the year. 300 calls and they make less than 10.
    It would irk me too. It would irk me if they made every call. Fire officers should not be elected.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Forum Member

Our dept policy is 30% of calls,training,meetings and fundraisers..Most calls we get we have 85-90% of our members there and we get 67 members so it shows we got a lot of dedicated members here

Forum Member

30% of calls, 30% of weekly training, and 6 out of 12 meetings... excuse letter can be written for trainings, but everything else has to be met.

Forum Member

Angry AHHH!!!

I wish we had something that would work…

We currently do not have a set number of calls that you have to be at\on or a set number of monthly meetings that we have. We do have a set number of paid trainings that you have be at, but if you do not show up, they do NOTHING! Why tell people that you have to be at trainings or else you can't go on calls when you do not enforce it. The only thing that they will do is tell the trustees that those members didn't make the set number of trainings in the year. I guess the trustees, chief, Training Officer do not want to follow through because they might make someone mad at them.

Then there is the officer side. Why expect your new members to get certain trainings (IL EMT-B and FF2) but you have officers who are in charge, that do not have any of it. They might have picked it up in training, but it doesn't seem to work out right.

I think that is all my rant will have right now, but just like others; it ****es me off when people do not follow through with that they say they are going to do. It makes you and the whole department look like wimps.

.Z

MembersZone Subscriber

In fact, we are a fire district in NY and I believe the law says we have to elect the Chief and his assistants.
    Can anyone from NY confirm this?
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Forum Member

Formerly from NY, and yes, it is true. There are a lot of state laws in NY regarding FD organization under the town and village sections of the state consolidated laws. They include stuff like elections (of officers by members and commissioners by the public), membership and residency requirements, the 'one dept only' law, etc. Not a whole lot on actual firefighting though (which is probably good since most legislators probably don't know the difference between an engine and an ambulance).
    I was going to cut and paste some stuff, but just looking in the town law section, I found at least a page worth of stuff talking about what day or days to have nominations, elections, change election dates, what to do when the election falls on a Druid Holy Day during a full moon, etc, etc.
    By the way, state law also provides for the election of members (I became a member once the company voted me in to the company and the fire council voted me into the dept and I was sworn in by the chief).

If you want to read for yourself, here's some links (that I hope work)
    http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=118&a=25
    http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=118&a=26
    http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=129&a=11

Forum Member

Originally posted by Weruj1
    here is an idea .................stop electing them, and appoint them !.....for us the Union contract says members must make 3 out of every 4 drills and not in the contract we try and ask everyone to make 25 % of all calls.
    What kind of Union contract do you have?

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

Mark,
    What are you asking exactly ? who represents the FF ?
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Forum Member

Originally posted by Weruj1
    Mark,
    What are you asking exactly ? who represents the FF ?
    Nope, he's asking what kind of union contract you have......

Forum Member

oh ....................that .............
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

We do not require people to make a certain % of calls. Just have to make a minimum of 2 drills a month (have them every Monday). Officers must be in the top 50% of the people in run attendance....

Forum Member

Originally posted by firenresq77

Nope, he's asking what kind of union contract you have......
    Excellent! You pay attention...

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

Originally posted by mark440

Excellent! You pay attention...

*Mark
    See what 6 years of college will get ya!?!

Forum Member

Not to bad for a 2 year degree!!!!!

Forum Member

Originally posted by Fire40man
    Not to bad for a 2 year degree!!!!!
    ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

It was a certificate program.. No degree......

MembersZone Subscriber

We are in the process of changing our By-Laws to add a percentage of calls, meeting attendance, trainings, etc. Right now though, you have to have you annual physical and meet the required annual 8 hours OSHA requirements.
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Duffman

It would irk me too. It would irk me if they made every call. Fire officers should not be elected.
    Amen. To me, the thought that officers are still ELECTED in places is beyond comprehension.
    "The more we sweat in training, the less we bleed in battle."

Thread Information