Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

Question Question for fire history buffs.

Some time ago I saw a fire department pub ed film between scheduled movies on TCM. I'm guessing it was shot in the late 50's or early 60's. I would also guess that it was shot in California - LA, perhaps? I could be wrong.

Anyway, in addition to talking about what firefighters do, there was quite a bit about fire prevention and loss. What struck me was that they were preaching about the same things then that we are today.

I'd really like to find a copy of this film, but I have no moreinformation than what I described here. TCM was decidedly unhelpful. All I got was form letters telling me how glad they were that I was interested in Turner Cassic Movies but that there was no way they were going to answer individual letters.

Sooooooo, anybody else know anything about it? I know it's a long shot, but maybe someone out there knows somebody who knows somebody. . .
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

Default fire house lights

i recently had a history question posed to me that i can't seemed to find an answer for. what color were the lights on the front of fire houses and what did the colors signify? i think they were red and green, but i'm not sure. can anyone help me out?

I believe it had something to do with the marine industry and the red light was for one side (starboard or port) and the green was for the other.........

MembersZone Subscriber Firedan38's Avatar

i know that chicago has red and green running lights on their apparatus that go back to a former chief who was a boating enthusiast, i read a story somewhere that the lights allowed him to know from which way the trucks were coming to the alarm at night. and the red light is the left side and the green light is the right side, hope this helps.
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

Thread Information