Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar

Default Illinois Firefighter Who Drove Engine Drunk Won't Face Criminal Charges

This is the equivalent of the cops who used to give drunk drivers a ride home (and I'm sure still do in some places)

What is the message sent here?

TORY BRECHT
    Courtesy of The Dispatch

A Moline firefighter who was drunk and drove an engine to a fatal fire Wednesday morning likely will lose his job, but won't face criminal charges, police chief Steve Etheridge said.

The name of the firefighter, who was so intoxicated fellow firefighters pulled him aside and wouldn't let him fight the fire, is not being released .

``It was a decision I made at the time to charge him administratively and not criminally,'' Chief Etheridge said. ``There are no criminal charges at this point.''

However, Ald. Mike Crotty, 6th Ward, who learned of the incident along with other aldermen via e-mail from city administrator Dale Iman, said he's concerned about the chief's decision.

``If they were driving a vehicle, and they were over the legal limit, they should be charged,'' he said. ``They're no different than any other citizen. I question why the chief chose not to pursue criminal charges. I want to ask him why he made that decision. It seems to be a double standard.''

The administrative charges, filed Thursday afternoon, were operating a city vehicle while intoxicated, having alcohol at the fire station and not being available to answer a fire call.

The firefighter was relieved from duty the morning of the fire and his case will be heard by the police and fire commission, said Chief Etheridge, who also is acting fire chief. ``I will be requesting from the police and fire commission that he be dismissed.''

He said the firefighter had the alcohol in his personal vehicle at one of the outlying fire stations, and apparently was drinking late Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning while other firefighters slept. The chief would not say which fire station he was assigned to.

Upon arrival at the fire at 220 16th Ave. about 2 a.m. Wednesday, other firefighters determined he was intoxicated, felt he was impaired and removed him from the scene, Chief Etheridge said.

``I arrived and the fire supervisor told me what happened,'' he said. ``I approached the individual and confirmed the fact he was under the influence.''

The firefighter was transported to the police station -- but not arrested -- and given a blood alcohol test that showed he was over the legal limit, the chief said, adding that it's against city regulations to possess or even bring alcohol into a fire station.

The intoxicated firefighter did not impair other firefighters' ability to battle the fire, which killed 62-year-old homeowner Bruce Noble and his dog, Chief Etheridge said.

``It didn't have any impact in fighting the fire. We had enough staff on scene to fight it,'' he said. ``It's an unfortunate incident. It happened, and we're going to deal with it internally. We take it very seriously.''

The chief praised supervisors on the scene for handling the situation and keeping the intoxicated firefighter from the structure.

International Association of Firefighters Local 581 president Ron Miller declined to comment. ``It's a personnel matter,'' he said. ``Everything will be handled by the chief's office.''
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

I was wondering about that myself............

This is unacceptable.

The story indicates that the police measured the firefighter's blood alcohol level and found it to be above the legal limit. That's evidence that a crime was committed... I don't see how the police could NOT charge him.

If you drink and then drive a fire truck, you should be charged criminally. Period. End of story.

Forum Member

At least this crime didnt result in a death. yes someone died in the fire but it was unrelated to this crime. do i think he should be let off.... no. this is completely unfair thats like telling a murder go ahead and go back home. this dept is about an hour away from here and this fire was bad from the get go. i do send my condolences to the victims family.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

MembersZone Subscriber Rescue21D's Avatar

Default ???

If the other firefighters noticed he was too intoxicated to fight the fire, why did they let him drive the rig to the fire???????????? Everyone on the rig should be disciplined as well, especially the officer.
    Captain/EMT-P

Rescue .....I dont know about you but maybe they could not tell he was impaired until they arrived, how ofter do you check your drivers breath ? They obvioulsy made the correct descion on the fire ground..........but he has gotta get hosed ! thats not right, thank goodness he didnt kill anyone.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Angry

Havent we as a ser........you know what,screw it......I give up.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

promise??
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Thumbs down Welcome to the Ignore list.......

Originally posted by PFire23
    promise??
    Yeah and if he had crashed I am sure there would be a contingent on here you included, that would go "Oh what a tradgedy,oh for heaven sakes, how could we ever have prevented this tradgedy!".

FTM-KMA-LMB-GFY-PTB
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Jesse, I'm in no way condoning what this man did. However, you come on here with a "we as a ......", don't lump all of US into the same group as someone who obviously is a bonehead. I firmly feel this guy should have been charged, actually, I think he should face a stiffer penalty than Joe Citizen, he is supposed to be protecting the public not putting it at risk. And you're right, I would have had plenty to say had someone been injured and killed, but thankfully no one was in this instance. I'm waiting to see if a public outcry won't change the minds of officials and we will see this man facing criminal charges.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

I believe Moline is a career department, isn't it. I stand by my above post and believe someone else in the house should have known he was intoxicated. Below is a copy of part of the Moline FD mission statement:

Provide a safe environment for co-workers and customers.
    Treat co-workers and customers with dignity and respect.
    Apply the highest standards of excellence to the delivery of fire protection and emergency medical services.
    Promote honesty, integrity, loyalty and credibility in all interpersonal relationships.
    Commit to being a leader in every aspect of fire protection and emergency medical services.
    Realize that all members of the organization are partners in fire prevention and safety education.
    Commit to customer satisfaction and be sensitive to their needs.
    Contribute positively to our community and our environment.
    Value research, development and training as tools for continued growth and success.
    Captain/EMT-P

First off, if all details being reported are true, which it sounds like they may be, he needs to be removed. That being said, what the h$ll does Moline being a career department have to do with this? From the news that I have been reading this fire occurred around 2AM, and from the pics I seen was a heavily involved fire. In that situation, I wouldn't stop to check the breath of anyone, I would be more focused on the task at hand.

You are wanting to blame the Moline Fire Department as a whole for this, not the indescretion of one person.

Lets take notice here that when this was identified that he was removed from duty immeadiatly.

I am not defending the actions of this firefighter, but I will defend the department.
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

ditto Wub............I dont what more anyone could have or should have done past that.
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

My purpose in bring up that it is a career house is that he is IN THE STATION, someone should have known he was drunk. If it was a volly house and he ran in from home or wherever, you may not notice right away.

I fully agree he should have been removed immediately, as was done. He should also be charged criminally.

Since the fire was around 0200hrs, he would also have to have been drinking while ON DUTY and possibly even in the station.
    Captain/EMT-P

There was no doubt he was drinking on duty ......did you ever think that maybe he was the only one up on house watch, night watch or whatever that department calls it ? And if you were sleeping sound got up and then got on the apparatus became more alert, and in the confined space of the cab began to notice the odor ? I dont see how anyone could have known before they left the station.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Originally posted by Rescue21D
    My purpose in bring up that it is a career house is that he is IN THE STATION, someone should have known he was drunk.

Since the fire was around 0200hrs, he would also have to have been drinking while ON DUTY and possibly even in the station.

I don't know about you, but in my house, no one stays up to watch everyone else at 2:00 in the morning.

Again, one firefighter was intoxicated. Action was taken on the fireground, by the members of the Moline FD.

The Moline Fire Department is not to blame here. The actions of a lone firefighter are. You will have a hard time convincing me otherwise.
    Last edited by F18Wub; 02-28-2004 at 09:53 PM.

Forum Member

Originally posted by F18Wub
    The Moline Fire Department is not to blame here. The actions of a lone firefighter are. You will have a hard time convincing me otherwise.
    To some extent I agree with you. But I very much disagree with the department's decision to prevent criminal charges from being filed. I have no idea how it works in Illinois, but in Washington, the prosecutor decides whether or not criminal charges are filed. This guy was plowed, he drove, and he authorized a blood draw. A prosecutor here (and I know, because I am one) would file DUI charges on him in a second.

He should be prosecuted criminally.

I dont think anyone has posted differently .............
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

I know a lot of departments that will protect their folks like family. Maybe this is the case in Moline. I don't know.

Around here, an off-duty, probationary career firefighter got drunk one night. So he decides that the private ambulance that's parked across the street idling at one of the ambulance stations (a private under contract for a volunteer dept.) would be a fun drive. He proceeds to steal it and go off on a joy ride.

Was he arrested for theft, DUI, etc? No.
    Was he kicked off of his dept.? No.
    Should he have been? Hell yes.
    Was his dept. aware that he did this? Very much so.

All of these acts would have disqualified him from consideration for the job, therefore he should have been canned.

Hmmm. Some folks are above the law.

This is not a career vs. volunteer issue either, as tons of these city guys spend a lot of time working as EMS and fire instructors. We have a fantastic working relationship with them.

Nowhere did I post, or insinuate that this firefighter should not be prosecuted. If what we are reading is accurate, I belive he should be charged with DUI. All that I know about what is going on in Moline, I read from the area newspapers and TV stations. As to why he is not being charged-that is a good question to ask the city leaders.

Thread Information