Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maryland Law

Question Maryland Law

Hello, I'm a fairly new EMT and I am in training to be a Firefighter. I just wanted know about the Vehicle Laws in Maryland. Are you allowed to have lights, not allowed, certain things are allowed/not allowed, I'm not really sure what the deal is involving this. Thanks for any help!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Maryland Law

Are you allowed to have lights?
    Do you mean on your personal vehicle?

If so, then- NO, unless you're one of five ranking officers equivilent to the chief, deputy/assistant chief, and EMS commander.

Fire police (traffic control persons) are permitted to have lights, but they may only display them while at the scene.

The actual law reads:

(ii) In each volunteer fire company, no more than five of the following officers may have their privately owned vehicles equipped with red lights or signal devices which may be displayed only while on route to or at the scene of an emergency:

1. The fire chief or the highest ranking fireline officer;
    2. One or more of the assistant chiefs or deputy chiefs, whichever rank is second in command; and
    3. The emergency medical services commander.

(iii) 1. The fire police of each volunteer fire company may have their privately owned vehicles equipped with red lights or signal devices designed to emit an oscillating, rotating, blinking, or other type of emission of light.
    2. The lights or signal devices may be flashed or oscillated or otherwise used only while the vehicle is at the scene of an accident, flood, or other emergency to which the volunteer fire company is responding.

[ Maryland Code : TRANSPORTATION : TITLE 22. VEHICLE LAWS - EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES : SUBTITLE 2. LAMPS AND OTHER LIGHTING EQUIPMENT : ß 22-218. Audible and visual signals on vehicles ]
    Last edited by jpsmith2; 02-28-2004 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks for the help!
    Proud to be IACOJ!
    MD FF/EMT

Thread Information